PDA

View Full Version : Tropical Pens

John Hart
10-08-2005, 6:11 PM
I worked mostly on building my Loom today, but while it was gluing up, I turned three pens. They are Cocobolo, Marble Eucalyptus, and Cambodian Paduak. The kit is the American Flattop (TG) from Berea. This friction finish worked out pretty good....Course, I don't know how it'll hold up.

1. BLO
2. BLO/CA
3. Shellac
4. BLO/CA
5. Shellac

Thanks for peekin'

Chris Barton
10-08-2005, 7:49 PM
Great looking pens John! And, as always, great composition of the picture as well. I made a few pens today and will post them tomorrow and have found a new finishing system that is faster and easier than what I have been previously been using. I sand to finish as usual then shoot a quick coat of Lac from a spray can from one of the Borgs. In 10 minutes it is dry enough to use the Beal system on and they come out looking like glass. Very fast and tidy...

John Hart
10-08-2005, 7:57 PM
Thanks Chris...Ya know..creeker Rob Cepek does the same thing you're describing. His pens look great too. (I work with him). I guess I need to finally give lacquer a try.

Jim Becker
10-08-2005, 8:14 PM
'Just be sure to cover your lathe bed and other exposed things before you shoot the lacquer and also have "excellent" ventilation. If you are indoors you really must wear a respirator...nasty stuff.
--------

John, they look super!

Keith Burns
10-08-2005, 9:02 PM
What can I say but more great work. I like the yellow one best but I give the all two thumbs up.

Sparky Paessler
10-08-2005, 10:50 PM
Those look Great! I really love the Cambodian Paduak. Good work!

Carole Valentine
10-08-2005, 11:09 PM
Jim is right on about lacquer being nasty stuff. Definitely use a respirator. That stuff will cook your brain! DAMHIKT;)

Carole Valentine
10-08-2005, 11:11 PM
You are really making some beautiful pens, John. And I love the way you are photographing them!

Ernie Nyvall
10-09-2005, 12:23 AM
Really nice job John. I like those kits too.

Ernie

Michael Stafford
10-09-2005, 7:31 AM
John, your photos only make your pens look that much better. Wonderful pens and photography. I love cocobolo pens and I really like the look of the Cambodian Padauk. Nicely done!!! :D

John Hart
10-09-2005, 9:00 AM
Thanks everyone. I sure like the fact that I can take out just a little bit of time and make something worthwhile.
I'm thinking about turning a sort of Pen Stand for these pics. I might actually get around to that today.....
....after all the other stuff.:confused:

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-09-2005, 5:25 PM
Outstanding Pens, John. Great photography, too.

Bruce