PDA

View Full Version : One last chance

Dale Rodabaugh
10-08-2005, 5:25 PM
Spent all Sat.afternoon going thru the old Craftsman table saw.Did everything I know of to get her lined up and running properly.right now shes looking pretty good.I will give it a couple of weeks to see how everything holds up on it.If the darn thing goes out of adjustment again,its going out of here and I will get that new saw.If it holds up,well just maybe I will keep it around.:confused: :rolleyes: :eek: :cool:

Hank Knight
10-08-2005, 6:44 PM
Good luck Dale. I know just how you feel.

Frank Hagan
10-08-2005, 6:50 PM
I went through the same thing with a 1970's era Craftsman table saw. Even invested in a link belt and a special kit that replaced the trunnion bolts with studs and allen-screw adjusters. With adjusting every now and then, and attention to detail, I was able to use the saw for a few years. But in the end, I saved up and bought a Jet contractor's saw, and the difference is like night and day.

Kevin Herber
10-08-2005, 7:23 PM
Sure hope that thing goes out of adjustment, .... er, I mean, Sure hope it stays adjusted....

Steve Stube
10-08-2005, 8:42 PM
Hi Dale, maybe I missed an earlier post on your alignment problem. I wonder if your saw is old enough to have the arbor bearings housed in aluminum 50's and 60's there is an adjustment on that table saw that is unknown to 99.9% of the folks using it. If it would be of that vintage, alignment can be lost as the blade is raised or lowered due to wear but with correct fitting of the adjustable arbor guide it can be made TRUE & STRAIGHT again.

Of coarse maybe you really prefer a new saw.

Dale Rodabaugh
10-09-2005, 7:48 AM
This is a 6 yr.old saw that was Sears top of the line when I bought it.A Craftsman Professional:eek: :eek: :eek: .Paid good money for it,even at sale price.I have went to the link belt,makes it run smoother.Added PALS adjusters.Makes it just a little easier to tune up.Professional,I dont think so.:confused: :confused: :confused: .Make a few cuts and it is out of line just a little bit,just enough to make me want to set it out for the garbage man.Tuned and lubricated it up yesterday,hope it holds this time.It is definitly a good saw for rough work,but I am getting into finer cutting,(squaring up panels),etc.I hate to take the money to buy a new saw,General,Unisaw,or Shop Fox.I will make a decision in the next month,before Hartville Tool has their fall sale.:confused: :o :rolleyes: :cool: