PDA

View Full Version : Trying to ID these chuck jaws

Jim Underwood
12-08-2016, 8:42 AM
I bought this set of chuck jaws with several others when I bought my original Nova chuck, but they don't fit ANY of my Nova chucks. Not the original Nova chuck, the midi chuck, or the G3. Anyone know what these fit?

carl mesaros
12-08-2016, 8:56 AM
Jim they look like a set I have for my Vicmarc 120.

Peter Fabricius
12-08-2016, 9:32 AM
Jim, I think they are for a Oneway Stronghold or if small size maybe for a Oneway Talon. The little steel pin in jaw #4 is the telltale sign, the pin should protrude the underside of the jaw and fit into one of two slots in the face of the Chuck body to limit the amount of travel the jaws can make and be safe to use. The shorter slot keeps the jaws inside the diameter of the chuck body to save novice fingers from getting whacked by open jaws.
Hope that helps.
Peter F.

Jim Underwood
12-08-2016, 9:38 AM
They don't fit my Oneway Talon either. The diameter of the ridges on the back is rather large too.
But they DO look like the ones in this advertisement for the STronghold. That's probably it....
http://www.rockler.com/oneway-stronghold-chuck

Leo Van Der Loo
12-08-2016, 11:31 AM
They don't fit my Oneway Talon either. The diameter of the ridges on the back is rather large too.
But they DO look like the ones in this advertisement for the STronghold. That's probably it....
http://www.rockler.com/oneway-stronghold-chuck

Yes with the small hole for the safety pin and two holes for the jaw screws, that makes them Oneway Stronghold jaws, the same but smaller and one hole for the jaw screw would be the Talon jaws.

Jim Underwood
12-08-2016, 11:37 AM
Thanks Leo,
I'll try them on a friend's Stronghold this evening. I'll let you guys know what happens...

Peter Fabricius
12-08-2016, 2:37 PM
I have 4 Stronghold Chucks, no other brands. Thanks for that Leo. I have used both sizes so I should have known.
Love the strength and quality, I did not like changing jaws so just got more chuck bodies over time. Perhaps this is enough.
I always suggest to new turners to pick a brand and stick to that one so jaws and accessories all fit and the big reason, so I only have to have ONE Chuck Key at the Lathe!
Peter F.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-08-2016, 3:13 PM
Same make here Peter, but have both Talon and Stronghold, 5 so far, Stronghold at the large lathe, Talon by the smaller lathes, works for me 349108