View Full Version : Top for down draft table

Douglas Nikkila
12-08-2016, 6:37 AM
Anyone know where I can get the rubber grommet style top used on commercial down draft tables?

Keith Outten
12-08-2016, 7:30 AM

I have a down draft table that I purchased from Grizzly. It looks like the rubber grommets are the same ones that electricians use to protect wires that run though metal studs, you might find them at your local big box or hardware store.

Don Frank
12-08-2016, 9:38 AM
I recently made one and used hardened pegboard that is recessed so it fits flush in the top of the sanding table. The smaller holes actually work quite well. I am using mine for hand sanding turnings, woodcarvings and fiberglass items. A lot of times I am grinding with a foredom tool. Those tools often throw the material several inches away so I wanted enough suction that I could grind or sand anywhere over the panel and know that the dust would disappear. i have had several designs over the years and this is the best I've ever used. If the same sized panel had 1/2" holes instead of the 1/4" holes the pegboard has, I would not have nearly as good of suction. I have it hooked up to a 3hp dust collector with 6" ductwork.

Stan Calow
12-08-2016, 11:39 AM
Rockler sells one.

Douglas Nikkila
12-09-2016, 9:46 AM
I think I've decided on heavy gauge expand steel with a Plastisol coating. Strong, lots of free air and somewhat slip resistant. Oh forgot-inexpensive.

Peter Blair
12-11-2016, 1:11 PM
I used the tempered hard board as well in a box with a squirrel cage furnace motor. Worked great!!!!

Todd Hyman
01-01-2017, 9:48 PM
Peachtree Woodworking sells one.

Robert Delhommer Sr
01-02-2017, 12:18 PM
I too used the tempered pegboard with 1/4" holes on mine and I love it.