PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Residue After Engraving Powder Coated SS Cups ?

chris szlachetka
12-08-2016, 2:45 AM
I'm engraving a few black powder coated SS 18/8 jugs and after the first pass, I'm noticing a nasty very sticky residue that won't come off. I've engraved a few others things before that were powder coated (50, 30 cal ammo cans). Afterwards I used Goo Off and it worked great without killing the paint, but not this time. I've tried Goo Gone and it sorta works, but I'm still seeing a layer of sticky residue. So, for now, I've been engraving everything twice. Any tips or cleaners I can use that won't eat the painted surface ?

Kev Williams
12-08-2016, 9:22 AM
Very few powdercoated items will engrave cleanly in one pass. I've found some won't engrave cleanly after 5 passes. Some colors are horrible. Some powdercoating in general is horrible. Hydroflask's PC is all over the map as to thickness.

My wife has some store-brand scented fingernail polish remover that's the best stuff I've found to help clean the residue, 'help' being the key word here... It's acetone based but not all acetone. I was surprised that it didn't immediately attack the PC. 'immediately' being another key word ;)

Chris DeGerolamo
12-08-2016, 9:23 AM
What are you speed and power settings? I have noted on past tumblers I've done that too much power will leave a mess behind; backing it down a bit seemed to help with ablation and produce a cleaner mark.

John Lifer
12-08-2016, 9:02 PM
I've powder coated a couple of dozen (yeah, not many yet) but about 7 colors and all work about the same. I use simple green and. White magic eraser and I get clean shiny ss.

Dan Beebe
04-30-2017, 8:45 AM
I've been lasering the RTIC powder coated tumblers and clean the goo off with Soft Scrub with bleach. I wet the cup with water, squirt a little Soft Scrub on and rub with my fingers or a sponge. Takes it right off.