PDA

View Full Version : First day off in over four months..

Patrick Walsh
12-07-2016, 11:51 PM
And this is what I did.

I purchased this drill press about a year ago. I also purchased another of the same model but a bench top version for spare parts in the event i needed them.

The two presses have been in my shop "majorly in the way" collecting dust all torn down. Between a house full of replacement windows that arrived two weeks ago and about 600 BF of BEM i stumbled into and just had to have cluttering up my shop i desperately needed to make some room and get these two torn down drill presses and their various parts out of my way and back together.

Originaly i was going to go nuts and completely restore the machine. I planned to have it sandblasted, polish up all the metal nuts bolts, levers so forth and so on. Well that never happened. I did give all the working parts a major cleaning along with re grease.

Glad i didn't go the full resto route as after about 10-12 hours of work the machine is back together bearings all replaced, new wires run so forth and so on. After all that the runout is kinda miserable. With a bare eye you can see the spindle wobble. Non the less i am able to drill and bung holes with only minor if any reveal around the perimeter.

Right about now i am kinda wishing i had just purched a new press regardless of if they are giant pieces of crap.

Anyway im tired but glad the parts that had been spread all over one corner of my shop are now neatly spandling in one small space.

kevin nee
12-08-2016, 1:09 AM
Nice job on your restoring the drill press. I stumbled onto a truck load of Oak Burl yesterday.
If the 600 bf of BEM is Birdseye Maple. Would you be interested is a trade for some Burl ?
If yes I can send photos by PM or E-mail I am in the Worcester area. Kevin

lee cox
12-08-2016, 2:28 AM
I can't tell what brand it is but I restored an old Atlas and I have .001 run out. None of my bits or reamers have this low of run out. Maybe you have an issue.

Patrick Walsh
12-08-2016, 8:06 AM
Kevin,

Send me a PM and we can exchange email and chat.

Nice job on your restoring the drill press. I stumbled onto a truck load of Oak Burl yesterday.
If the 600 bf of BEM is Birdseye Maple. Would you be interested is a trade for some Burl ?
If yes I can send photos by PM or E-mail I am in the Worcester area. Kevin

Patrick Walsh
12-08-2016, 8:08 AM
I wish i had .001 of runout.

I'm pretty sure i have a problem. If i do i cant figure out where as i have been over the spindle assembly like 3-4 times looking for something wrong.

I can't tell what brand it is but I restored an old Atlas and I have .001 run out. None of my bits or reamers have this low of run out. Maybe you have an issue.

Brian Tymchak
12-08-2016, 12:28 PM
and about 600 BF of BEM i stumbled into and just had to have cluttering up my shop

Man, you're killing me... just killing me...

Congrats!

Dave Cav
12-08-2016, 10:10 PM
That's a nice old Delta. I can't tell for sure but it looks like a 17". The guys over at OWWM would love to help with you runout problem.

Patrick Walsh
12-08-2016, 10:44 PM
A 17" it is.

i would head over to OWWM but everytime i do i cant log in with my old account. If i remember correctly in mtry and make another account then i have to wait to be approved and it never happens.

i really would like to work out the issue as i really much prefer this old machine over a new plastic one. It really helps is impressive and just plain cool how simple but alsowell made the machine is in comparison to my newer and pricey Euro equiptment.

Im 40 i would love to see this thing make it another 40 years as apposed to end up at the scrap yard.

That's a nice old Delta. I can't tell for sure but it looks like a 17". The guys over at OWWM would love to help with you runout problem.