PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Makita tools besides Home Depot?

Greg Woloshyn
12-07-2016, 7:34 PM
My early Christmas present arrived today that was bought online from Home Depot and shipped to my house. A Makita LS1016L 10" sliding miter saw. The box was a disaster, and once I opened it I found the tool bag open with parts scattered everywhere, damage to the back end guides because they popped out of the box during shipping, and no blade in sight. Tool was immediately returned to my local Home Depot. And here's the best part - the return cashier didn't bother inspecting the box, or caring about the damage, she just asked for order number and issued a refund. Seems the problem with Home Depot is they just don't care..

I want this saw, but can't seem to find it local. And I'm hesitant to order online through a place like Amazon.

Joe Spear
12-07-2016, 7:54 PM
Where to get Makita depends on where you are. I know that Hartville Hardware in Ohio carries the brand in their store. Google "Makita sales" and list your zipcode in the inquiry. That should tell you if there is a place near you that sells the brand.

Stan Calow
12-07-2016, 8:00 PM
some of the pro-dealers around here carry them, but not at a Home Depot price.

scott vroom
12-07-2016, 8:08 PM
Amazon has that saw for the same price as HD. Free 2-day shipping if you're a Prime member. I've ordered numerous power tools through Amazon and don't recall any damaged goods. And if there were an issue, a quick phone call to amazon and they'll ship a new one right away while sending UPS to your house to pick up the damaged one the next day.

John Lankers
12-07-2016, 10:25 PM
I have no idea where you live but Makita is a common brand and available at most hardware stores, home centers and tool stores. I bought a 12" Bosch Glide at HD this last spring, they had it on the shelf for $799 cdn and price matched it to the lowest cut throat deal in town minus 10% of the difference, I paid under $450 (roughly $300 US). Just something to consider.

Van Huskey
12-07-2016, 11:14 PM
First, I am surprised you can't find one locally, it is a pretty mainstream brand.

Second, you aren't going to find etailers using bombproof packaging because it eats into their bottom line and power tools have a small margin to begin with. What they do is monitor the situation and find the best packaging to profit margin so there is going to be a certain number of damaged shipments ESPECIALLY this time of year. We make 300-400 Amazon orders a year and while the packaging often seems less than stellar (like what I got in today) I can't think of anything I got in that was damaged in the last year or so, the last thing I remember was a pad on a Bessey Revo maybe 18 months ago.

Third, I kinda understand your issue with the return at Home Depot but you have no idea what the clerk did or didn't do after the return and you were entitled to the return under their policy damaged or not. Would you have rather stood there for 30-40 minutes while 3-4 people inspected the box? Quick and easy returns are usually a selling point not a reason to avoid a retailer.

Stuff will get damaged in shipping, but in my experience it is rare and the odd time one has to return a product due to damage is worth the "once in a blue moon" hassle for the overall savings we get from buying online. Just get back on the horse and pick a local or online seller and buy away, if you are really shaken by the experience you may want to wait until after the holidays to buy, the chances of damage drop significantly.

Andrew Kertesz
12-08-2016, 5:04 AM
Factory Authorized Outlet has $25 off $100 on select Makita tools with free shipping over $49. I ordered the Dewalt DW611PK which is supposed to deliver tomorrow. There were a few members that said they had favorable experiences...

Van Huskey
12-08-2016, 8:10 AM
Factory Authorized Outlet has $25 off $100 on select Makita tools with free shipping over $49.

Amazon and most other major Makita (Dewalt and Bosch) retailers have the same 25 off 100 deal going, it happens every Nov/Dec. On rs Amazon if the item is part of the promotion you will see the $25 removed when you get to the checkout page. I bought a Dewalt 611 as well and it was $135 on Amazon. The Makita 1016 is part of the promotion and is $473 on Amazon.

glenn bradley
12-08-2016, 8:38 AM
Why the trepidation about Amazon? I order items, large and small without issue. Once a very small item went missing (probably nicked off my porch) and they replaced it immediately. They also supply return labels with the shipment if they source the item. Easy-peasy.

Peter Kuhlman
12-08-2016, 8:39 AM
If you order it from Amazon and at checkout claim it is a gift, you can select to have the factory box shipped inside an Amazon box for free for many items. I have ordered many large tools from Amazon and never had damage that required a return.
I have received two different Makita sliders from Amazon without issue.
It is the small heavy items that just get thrown in a shipping box that I have had damaged. Never was able to get router bits from Amazon that weren't busted out of their plastic boxes and with the edges chipped from banging into each other.

Paul Follett
12-08-2016, 8:48 AM
Another vote for Amazon, I have the same saw I bought from them a couple years ago arrived in perfect shape.

John K Jordan
12-08-2016, 8:53 AM
...Tool was immediately returned to my local Home Depot. And here's the best part - the return cashier didn't bother inspecting the box, or caring about the damage, she just asked for order number and issued a refund. Seems the problem with Home Depot is they just don't care..

A Home Depot employee told me that was their company return policy - refund all returns, no questions asked. Give store credit if no receipt. Don't even check the item for a Lowes tag.

This could be good or bad. I know of people without scruples who buy tools, use for the job, and return, "free rental". Shame on them. I will not buy anything from the big box stores which has evidence of being opened. I once bought a sprayer which was clogged with dried deck stain.

JKJ

Hoang N Nguyen
12-08-2016, 9:03 AM
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet since I'm not reading through all the comments but I order a lot of tools from toolnut. Free shipping and no tax outside of NY. They carry every major brand of tools. I get all of my festool tools from them. For the most part, they ship same day and I get it in 2 days, same as my Amazon prime orders. I ordered my powermatic jointer from them a few years back when powermatic had their 10% sale, free shipping and no tax. A much better deal than buying local.

Greg Woloshyn
12-08-2016, 9:17 AM
Lots of good advice here thanks for the info. I will give amazon a try, and wait until after Christmas. I am in NY. Makita website only shows Home Depot as a local seller. I checked Grainger because there are a few nearby but they priced it $200 higher than HD and Amazon.

Tom Ewell
12-08-2016, 9:19 AM
One can also order online to have items shipped to a local store for pickup.
This may not preclude getting a 'used' item but it will help with out-of-stock stuff.

I've also not have had problems with direct ship online stores. If there is a problem 9 times out of ten, free return shipping is provided for either refund or replacement.

For a long time, shipping via catalogue order was the only way for me to get anything not provided by the local lumber yard which had a very limited selection of tooling.

Rotary dial phones on party lines were very common at the time and locale too :)

Robert Engel
12-08-2016, 9:24 AM
He needs to understand once the box goes on the truck it is the shippers fault, not Home Depot.

As mentioned, order for pick it up at the store is a good option. That way you can inspect and refuse receipt if it damaged.

Jon Endres
12-08-2016, 12:11 PM
I would have no hesitation buying from an online vendor, especially one like Amazon. Getting a heavily damaged package is the exception, not the rule.

As far as other vendors, I like the CPO outlets for most smaller tools. You might even be able to find a reconditioned model for a huge discount.

rudy de haas
12-08-2016, 12:48 PM
Try the buy local service at:

https://www.makitatools.com/products/buy-local

Give them your zip code and they'll find you local dealers etc - with directions and ph numbers.

Steve Peterson
12-08-2016, 1:58 PM
It sounds like the OP ended up with a returned item that had missing parts. Home Depot is really bad about this. I would bet that his return was placed directly onto the shelf for the next customer to be stuck with. Go to the store and inspect it before you buy it. Many previously returned items are obvious.

Steve

john bateman
12-08-2016, 5:06 PM
My early Christmas present arrived today that was bought online from Home Depot and shipped to my house. A Makita LS1016L 10" sliding miter saw. The box was a disaster, and once I opened it I found the tool bag open with parts scattered everywhere, damage to the back end guides because they popped out of the box during shipping, and no blade in sight. Tool was immediately returned to my local Home Depot. And here's the best part - the return cashier didn't bother inspecting the box, or caring about the damage, she just asked for order number and issued a refund. Seems the problem with Home Depot is they just don't care..

I want this saw, but can't seem to find it local. And I'm hesitant to order online through a place like Amazon.

I have ordered a couple items from Home Depot, and their packaging is always horrible. I don't think they ever intended to be a mail-order type of business, but have to try to be competitive with Amazon, etc. They certainly don't seem to have provided the instructions or materials to their employees to ship things properly.

Pat Barry
12-08-2016, 6:44 PM

Seems to me that HD did just what you would want a seller to do - accept the return, no questions asked. Now this is a negative?? This doesn't make sense to me. I'd much rather go to HD and then return it no questions asked (and get an immediate replacement/refund). Why would you look elsewhere? By the way, I think the HD policy is customer satisfaction. Why weren't you satisfied DO you blame HD for what was wrong inside the box?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-08-2016, 7:04 PM
Here's an example of how easy it is to use Amazon and CPOOutlets.

I was in the market for a new SCMS. I wanted a Hitachi C12RSH....not a Hitachi C12RSH2. An Amazon advertisement for CPOOutlets said "Hitachi C12 RSH $399 - Manufacturer discontinued - Only 20 left in stock. So I ordered one. At the same time I ordered a Hitachi mobile miter saw stand from Amazon.

The stand arrived and frankly I was disappointed in their definition of "Heavy Duty". I just didn't like the product. So, I went online and filed a return which was accepted and Amazon said they'd have UPS pick it up in the next business day.

A few days later, the box from CPOOutlets showed up with a Hitachi C12RSH2. I didn't even open the box. I filed a return to CPOOutlets via Amazon. It was accepted, I printed a waybill and took it to our local UPS center.
A day later a UPS driver showed up and took the miter saw stand for return to Amazon.

3 days later I received an email from Amazon indicating a partial refund for the miter saw stand. I didn't understand so I sent them an email. I said "I'm not angry but why am I only receiving a partial refund?" I was just inquisitive. They responded to me they'd check into it. Later that evening I received notice they'd refunded my card for the difference. A day or so later I got an email they had refunded the rest of it. In conclusion, I got a full refund.

Today, CPOOutlets sent me an email they had refunded my entire sales amount.

The end result? It didn't cost me a thing. I got everything I spent refunded. My only inconvenience was I had to take the saw to my local UPS center which is 2 blocks away from my home.

Buying from Amazon, CPOOutlets, even HD? I don't have any problems with any of them. I will do it again in the future!

Greg Woloshyn
12-08-2016, 7:14 PM
Seems to me that HD did just what you would want a seller to do - accept the return, no questions asked. Now this is a negative?? This doesn't make sense to me. I'd much rather go to HD and then return it no questions asked (and get an immediate replacement/refund). Why would you look elsewhere? By the way, I think the HD policy is customer satisfaction. Why weren't you satisfied DO you blame HD for what was wrong inside the box?

The point is that when buying something, especially a $500 item, it should arrive in NEW condition. Someone probably bought the saw and used it a few times then returned it. Then HD sold me that saw as new. Quite simple. If HD changed the way they handle returns there would be a lot less hassle and angry customers.

Less people would be tempted to "rent tools for free", and more people would feel comfortable with what they are buying is genuinely new.

My saw was missing a blade, had wear marks where the blade guard moves, and the back of the sliding rails were damaged from shipping.

Charles Lent
12-08-2016, 7:21 PM
Why not ask the local Home Depot to sell you one. If they don't have one on their shelf, have them order it for you, to be delivered to the store for you to pick up from there. Then go there and inspect it before buying it. If it's damaged, have them get another one for you. Don't buy it until they get you a good one. It will likely be delivered to the store in their own truck instead of UPS or FEDEX, so it's chances of surviving the trip are way better.

Charley

michael langman
12-08-2016, 7:47 PM
I bought a reconditioned Makita 10" dual compound sliding miter saw with a laser ight from CPO Outlets online for 300.00 about 7 years ago. Excellent saw in like new condition and has worked well so far.

They also sell new Makita tools as well.

Rich Riddle
12-09-2016, 10:09 PM
CPO and Tool Nut come to mind. They ship a lot.

Mike Heidrick
12-09-2016, 10:14 PM
I ordered parts for my Hitachi C12LSH immediately after getting it from Amazon. Hitachi SUCKS at packaging!

C Scott McDonald
12-10-2016, 1:21 AM
I have that exact saw and it has been aces. I bought it locally at a tool store that carried just about every brand out there.