PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing question

Lee Schierer
12-07-2016, 7:11 PM
My wife was watching Mike Holme's "Buy it RIght" show on the DIY network and he was reviewing a house in St. Petersburg and made a comment about the plumbing under the double sink should be a "Y" fitting bringing the two drains from the sink into a vertically oriented Y leading to the trap. I spent some time looking for this type of Y connection and could not find a source. Is this a fitting that is common in Canada and not the U.S.? Has anyone seen this type of fitting?

Clint Baxter
12-07-2016, 7:34 PM
A sanitary tee fitting may be used as long as the tee is oriented vertically. If the connection is in a horizontal run, then it requires a wye, or a combo fitting. Most double sinks such as kitchen sinks are able to use the sanitary tee configuration due to the way the connections are arranged.

Clint

Jim Becker
12-07-2016, 9:38 PM
I agree with Clint here...the "logistics" of the water flow matter and can determine what fittings are appropriate.

Greg R Bradley
12-07-2016, 11:01 PM
Mike Holmes is a complete joke and frequently recommends doing things in a way that does not meet code or is not even practical. Best to ignore anything that idiot has to say. Reality TV is not real, frequently just the opposite.

Robert Engel
12-08-2016, 9:45 AM
Seems to go against every thing I've ever seen.

Don't worry about it.

If you're sink isn't working properly its something else, not that.

Rick Moyer
12-08-2016, 10:32 AM
Mike Holmes is a complete joke and frequently recommends doing things in a way that does not meet code or is not even practical. Best to ignore anything that idiot has to say. Reality TV is not real, frequently just the opposite.
While I have no opinion on Mr. Holmes, I think we all need to be mindful that these "reality" shows are to make money for the writers, producers and sponsors. If someone is entertained by them (I'm not) then OK, but the adage "Don't believe everything you read, see, hear, etc." really applies to television!

Patrick McCarthy
12-08-2016, 1:38 PM
" . . . . but the adage "Don't believe everything you read, see, hear, etc." really applies to television! "

OMG, say it ain't so! The few times I watch TV I almost always end up with a sore neck from shaking it back-and-forth so much. My wife has managed to silence my screams of "No, you cant do it that way" or "That is not how it works" or some variation thereof . . . . . .