PDA

View Full Version : IN Search of Figured & Slab Lumber Dealer - Midwest - Kansas City

Neil Gaskin
12-07-2016, 6:15 PM
Does anyone have a source for odd-ball lumber, live edge slabs, figured materials etc anywhere within 5 hours +/- Kansas City?

We have a great source for normal hardwood and plywoods Shout out to - Liberty Hardwoods

I'm in need of a dealer for both figured and large live edge slabs. Craigslist is occasionally a decent source but it's usually overpriced in my opinion.

Thanks, Neil

John A langley
12-07-2016, 7:37 PM
The last couple of years there has been a new lumber company at the woodworker show in Kansas City I wish I can remember their name and I wish I could find there business card The show is mid January this year if you go to the show they may have what you want +2 for liberty

Stan Calow
12-07-2016, 8:03 PM
Neil try Urban Lumber on 40 Highway by the stadiums. I'll bet thats who John was referring to. They deal in salvaged urban trees and I got a email this week about a bunch of big locust, walnut and osage orange slabs that they were getting from the kiln. Its a good place to know. I've seen some really cool wood there.

John A langley
12-07-2016, 10:25 PM
Stan that sounds right to me

Neil Gaskin
12-07-2016, 10:51 PM
I need to stop by Urban Lumber again. I went there once and it was a nice shop. The guys there were really nice but the prices seemed a bit high for what they had at the time. Im sure their inventory turns so I'll drop by again in the future.

Neil try Urban Lumber on 40 Highway by the stadiums. I'll bet thats who John was referring to. They deal in salvaged urban trees and I got a email this week about a bunch of big locust, walnut and osage orange slabs that they were getting from the kiln. Its a good place to know. I've seen some really cool wood there.

Nick Decker
12-08-2016, 6:55 AM
Does Liberty offer hardwoods in any thickness less than 4/4? My needs are just as a hobbyist, thinner stock like for small boxes.

Luke Bergin
12-08-2016, 9:23 AM
I got on an email list of a guy that is on craigslist every once in a while that might be able to help. I can send you his email if you want. He is kind of a broker for wood. He travels around to different saw mills from time to time and gets you what you need. Not sure if he gets better pricing than the normal guy or what but all the prices I have seen of his are pretty good. He was selling some live edge hackberry slabs a few weeks ago.

Stan Calow
12-08-2016, 10:31 AM
Nick, you might try Metro Hardwood on Noland Road just south of I-70 in Independence. They sell mostly surfaced wood and I know they have a lot of 1/4" wood, some 1/2". Good variety of exotics, veneer, turning blanks, tools, kits and finishing supplies.

If not what you need, there's Schuette Lumber on Southwest Blvd.

Since you're in central MO, check put Greener Lumber in Macon (look online - not sure they have a storefront). They deal in river-salvaged mahogany and other tropical wood, and have some interesting stuff.

Nick Decker
12-08-2016, 11:05 AM
Thanks, Stan, will have a look at Metro next time I'm in KC. I'm in Sedalia and get into the city easily enough.

I don't have a planer (or the room for one) so I'm kind of at the mercy of what I can find at Woodcraft or mail order from Rockler.

Sam Murdoch
12-08-2016, 9:56 PM
Not in the mid-west but they do have a good web sight and will ship. Their inventory is extensive, beautiful and a wonder. I have bought from them a number of times and visited a couple of time too and so I recommend Berkshire Products in Western MA - http://www.berkshireproducts.com

Robert Chapman
12-09-2016, 10:41 AM
Also not in your area but try bellforestproducts.com They are in Michigan's Upper Peninsula but they ship all over the planet and specialize in figured wood. Very good customer service.

Calvin Hobbs
12-09-2016, 12:22 PM
I have had some good luck with Hewins Sawmill in Wathena, KS (just over the river from St. Joseph MO). They sometimes have some great buys, including some large slabs. Nice folks also.

CH

Chuck Saunders
12-09-2016, 1:35 PM
Metro has some thinner stock. They are the retail arm of Liberty hardwoods.
Except for the limited hours, Urban Lumber is a great source for live edge native slabs
Chuck

Ronald Blue
12-09-2016, 9:38 PM
If you don't mind a road trip these guys are a possibility. They are in St Charles.
upickhardwoodlumber.com/

Rich Riddle
12-09-2016, 10:43 PM
It's been years since I lived there, but there used to be a lumber store on Southwest Boulevard that could get about anything you wanted. It was just about on the Kansas/Missouri state line. Can't remember the name though.

Stan Calow
12-09-2016, 11:45 PM
Rich, that is Schuette Lumber; still there.