PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Delta ?

James B Lee
12-07-2016, 6:13 PM
I ordered a Delta 46-460 and received it Friday. Had a severe vibration so I exchanged
it for a second one. The second one goes back tomorrow with a locked up motor. I was
gonna go for number 3 but changed my mind. I think I'll go with a different manufacturer.

Kind of a shame. I really like that lathe.

Marvin Hasenak
12-07-2016, 8:24 PM
This is only my opinion, worth nothing. I think when Delta sold, the new owners/management were either ignorant as to the operation of manufacturing and selling of woodworking equipment and were plain stupid. Or their goal from the start of the takeover was to run the company out of business.

Justin Stephen
12-07-2016, 9:47 PM
Or their goal from the start of the takeover was to run the company out of business.

Don't think this is it anyway. In the U.S. and perhaps some other countries, it is true that there is sometimes a financial gain to be made (through tax writeoffs, etc.) from deliberately running a company into the ground. However, the current owner of "Delta" is a Chinese company and "Delta" stopped being a company some time ago. Basically, the Chinese company bought the "Delta Machinery" brand name and associated patents (from Black and Decker). There is a Delta company now, but the Chinese owner created it after they bought the rights to the name. While I admit that I am quite ignorant of Chinese tax law, it seems unlikely that this Chinese firm bought the name and patents, created a new company to hold these assets, and then would deliberately run it into the ground.

Brice Rogers
12-08-2016, 12:52 AM
Justin, I think that Marvin was trying to be a bit provocative to make a point. Delta may not be intentionally trying to reduce the value of their investment but may be doing it through poor management.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-08-2016, 12:07 PM
From what I have been reading, and that is all I know about it, it looks like they are trying to sell off machinery that had something wrong with it, like a batch of lathes with the reverse switch wired backwards, and other ones that have been reconditioned (or not), but am wondering now of what’s next ??