PDA

View Full Version : Tool commenter - Jawhorse

Tony Zona
12-07-2016, 5:58 PM
Only recently have I become aware of the Jawhorse. It sells for about a hundred bucks.

I would appreciate thoughts about it from those who have one.

Wade Lippman
12-07-2016, 7:17 PM
When you need it, it works really well. I have needed it twice in 6 years.

Tony Zona
12-07-2016, 10:13 PM
Thanks, Wade.

Michael Arruda
12-08-2016, 4:10 AM
Tony,
mine spends most of the time on the shelf, but it does come in handy. It is the craftsman version, which I picked up the floor model a couple years ago for $10 on clearance. I don't think I would have paid full price- at the time they were around $150 Iirc.
I use it once a month or so, either to hold something I need to work on, or clamp a piece of ply in it to use as a quick table.

-Michael

Tony Zona
12-08-2016, 5:24 AM
Thanks, Michael.

I guess I'll put it on the back burner.

Keith Outten
12-08-2016, 6:37 AM
Once again I'm in the minority. I have a Rockwell Jawhorse and I use it frequently. It takes up almost no space and its pretty handy for a variety of jobs, plus its a mobile tool that I can use in the yard and take it with me when I need it on a job site.

Rich Riddle
12-08-2016, 7:04 AM
I find it quite useful. It's wonderful for holding things tightly. Just so you know, The Craftsman competitor model didn't work as well and it found itself returned for the real Jawhorse. The real Jawhorse works better. The true advantage for the Jawhorse likes in its ability to take the place of a "helper." This is the "third hand" or sometimes fourth you need to complete projects. Now others help only with things like pulling wires from outside the house when I'm inside the house. Because of needing a worker less often, it's paid for itself many times over in saved wages provided to workers. One worker complains about this aspect......

Lamar Keeney
12-08-2016, 5:54 PM
+1 for the Rockwell model

It's one of those critters that if you have it you'll find more use's as you go along.

I work on a lot of awkward and sometimes heavy material, but it will also do smaller objects well. I bought the Rockwell model two years ago on sale and for me it was money well spent. Rock solid when clamped and takes up about a square ft of space when folded and on end.

Keith Outten
12-08-2016, 7:21 PM
I also bought the welding attachment for my Rockwell Jawhorse. Another way to hold two pieces together when you need to weld them together, it also works on odd shaped pieces for lots of jobs and materials. I couldn't find the welding attachment locally so I ordered it from Grizzly.

Dave Lehnert
12-08-2016, 9:34 PM
Just for sake of conversation.

If I remember correct, the Triton Super Jaw was the "Origional" (1992)
The Jawhorse came few years after.
Rockwell tools, as we know them today, did not start till around 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF2M9GCwRr8

John K Jordan
12-08-2016, 10:19 PM
Only recently have I become aware of the Jawhorse. It sells for about a hundred bucks.

I would appreciate thoughts about it from those who have one.

Tony,

I bought the Rockwell Jawhorse with several attachments when I started putting up my shop. I used it a LOT then especially since I did all the construction myself, well worth the expense. Well engineered to be strong, sturdy, and with the foot lever very quick to use.

Since the shop is up I use it rarely, I think there for two reasons: One, I am doing smaller things now and hold them other ways. Two, it is a bit bulky and my shop interior has shrunk drastically! If I had a lot of extra floor space I would probably use it now.

I would get rid of it but as soon as I start on another shed or barn or something (any day now) I am sure I will use it a lot.

JKJ

Tony Zona
12-08-2016, 10:27 PM
Thanks, folks, now I'm leaning the other way.

I have on of those Workmates, like 25 or so years old. And when I need it, nothing seems that it would work any better.

I'm thinking Jawhorse would be similar.