PDA

View Full Version : How do you hold an English wooden plow plane?

Kees Heiden
12-07-2016, 2:04 PM
Using my wooden plow plane is big fun. It is very easy to use. A bit of a hassle to set the fence, but when that is correct, the grooves almost flow out of the plane automatically. Very easy to keep the large and high plane upright without much thought or input from the user.

But, how do you guys hold a plane like this? I can't say the grip is very comfortable. Here are two pictures of the grip I use so far. (because I need one hand on the camera I did them both apart)

Jim Koepke
12-07-2016, 2:50 PM
That is about the same as my grip. My wooden plow hasn't been use in years. It is no match for a Stanley 45.

jtk

Steve Voigt
12-08-2016, 9:28 AM
Using my wooden plow plane is big fun. It is very easy to use. A bit of a hassle to set the fence, but when that is correct, the grooves almost flow out of the plane automatically. Very easy to keep the large and high plane upright without much thought or input from the user.

But, how do you guys hold a plane like this? I can't say the grip is very comfortable. Here are two pictures of the grip I use so far. (because I need one hand on the camera I did them both apart)

I do basically the same thing, except I don't think my left thumb is on the plane. But mine is a screw arm plow, so it's a little different.
You're right, it'd not the most comfortable position, but I certainly prefer it to a clunky, heavy 45. Sorry Jim.:rolleyes:

lowell holmes
12-08-2016, 9:39 AM
On any plow plane, I use both hands, one on the handle and the other against the fence.

Kees Heiden
12-08-2016, 11:14 AM
Point is, this plane doesn't have a handle, Lowell

I get the message. When no really comfortable position is possible, then it's a matter of getting used to it.

Jim Koepke
12-08-2016, 12:03 PM
You're right, it'd not the most comfortable position, but I certainly prefer it to a clunky, heavy 45. Sorry Jim.:rolleyes:

Not sure if you would want to make a similar attachment for a wooden plow, but here is my solution to making the #45 a bit easier to use:

Piece of scrap with holes drilled to accept the rods. Makes the plane a lot easier to handle.

Most wooden plow planes will not accept a blade bigger than 5/8".

(Note: the plane pictured is actually a Wards Master #45, made by Stanley.)

jtk

Dave Anderson NH
12-08-2016, 12:21 PM
Since I'm not a thief I won't steal your idea Jim. I'll just borrow it.:D Thanks, that should make using my #45 more comfortable.

steven c newman
12-08-2016, 3:54 PM
Some ploughs came with a rear handle...
As for the Stanley 45?
I tend to keep the planein contact with the wood, so all 9 pounds is sitting on the wood, all I have to do is just push or pull it along.

Kevin Hampshire
12-08-2016, 7:18 PM
Not sure if you would want to make a similar attachment for a wooden plow, but here is my solution to making the #45 a bit easier to use:

Piece of scrap with holes drilled to accept the rods. Makes the plane a lot easier to handle.

Most wooden plow planes will not accept a blade bigger than 5/8".

(Note: the plane pictured is actually a Wards Master #45, made by Stanley.)

jtk

Jim, I don't have #45 but seeing that photo makes me want one.

Jim Koepke
12-08-2016, 7:34 PM
Jim, I don't have #45 but seeing that photo makes me want one.

If this video still works, it may make you want one a little more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apLzrpsdcK0

It is from thread on molding planes. There are other planes involved with the #45 having a bit of the fun.

Here is the thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?242156-Old-Molding-Planes-and-the-Rehab-Enthusiast

jtk

lowell holmes
12-09-2016, 12:34 PM
I really should have said, right hand on the body and left hand on the fence. I consider the body of a plow plane to be the handle.

Jim Belair
12-09-2016, 4:05 PM

jtk

Is that Oliver Twist planing those grooves? ;)

Neat idea for an auxiliary handle.

Jim Koepke
12-09-2016, 5:30 PM
Is that Oliver Twist planing those grooves? ;)

Neat idea for an auxiliary handle.

If you or anyone else likes it, it is yours to use and share.

The only heat in my shop if from a little electric heater. Maybe if it is on for a few hours it will raise the temp a few degrees. This is my first pair of Insulite gloves. The finger tips were cut off because they get caught when working on the lathe. Besides having feeling at the end of my fingers is essential to my woodworking.

jtk

Pat Barry
12-09-2016, 5:50 PM
The finger tips were cut off because they get caught when working on the lathe. Besides having feeling at the end of my fingers is essential to my woodworking.jtk
That won't work for me. The part of my hands that needs the glove is the fingers and finger tips.