PDA

View Full Version : new Freud box joint blade

Jack Wood
10-08-2005, 6:50 AM
Has anyone tried the new blade from Freud that is made to make box joints? It will make 1/4 and 3/8ths joints simply by turning the 2 blades around. It's suppose to make perfectly flat bottom cuts. Is 1/4 and 3/8ths what I would really use most of the time? THANKS!

Karl Laustrup
10-08-2005, 6:58 AM
I've been looking at that blade myself. I think I might have a use for that. Looks pretty nifty. :)

Karl

Jim Becker
10-08-2005, 10:53 AM
That think caught my eye, too...so I, too, am looking forward to hearing from anyone who has already sprung for it.

Corey Hallagan
10-08-2005, 11:28 AM
And it will work great for 1/4 in drawer bottom grooves or anywhere you need 1/4 and 3/8 dado. This is on my list.

Corey

Jack Wood
10-08-2005, 12:17 PM
OK if Jim Becker thinks that it looks like something he might buy, then that makes me feel good about the fact that I just ordered it 5 minutes ago:) I got a box joint jig the other day and the wobble type dado blade I have, very old, murderized the wood, so it's time to change. Now I'm going to have to start looking for a New Dado blade, any suggestions?:confused:

Roy Wall
10-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Add me to the list that's been "eyeing it" for several weeks now....:cool:

Corey Hallagan
10-08-2005, 5:40 PM
I don't think you can beat the Freuds. The SD 208 and 206 are under a 100.00 and perform well making great dados in hard and sofwood, where it doesn't quite do as good of job as others is in plywood I have been told. I have the six inch for my contractors saw. Next step up is the SD 508 and will probably do a better job plywood and other sheet goods as well as hard and soft wood. Router Bit world will ship for a 1.00 and run sales every so often on these.

Corey

Jack Wood
10-08-2005, 6:03 PM
Thanks Corey, the junk dado I now have blows apart:eek: just about everything it cuts, I got it free and I've only have been experimenting with it but It goes in the trash ASAP! I am going to look at those Freuds you mentioned.

Hank Knight
10-08-2005, 6:34 PM
My local tool store had a big sale Wednesday and Thursday with Manufacturers Reps and all the trimmings. Miss Makita was there. Lots of show deals and 10% off everything else except Miss Makita (she wasn't for sale - DAMHIKT). I've had my eye on the Frued box joint blade since I saw it advertised in one of the mags. It wasn't a "special deal" so I bought it a the 10% discount. I haven't given it a test drive yet, but I'll do it this weekend and report back.

Jim Becker
10-08-2005, 8:10 PM
Hank, if I may ask, what is that specialty blade set selling for?

Corey Hallagan
10-08-2005, 8:27 PM
Jim, most retailers are selling the Freud Box joint set at $80.00, well worth ther price and if you can get it on sell an even better price.

Corey

Jack Wood
10-09-2005, 11:00 AM
Thanks Hank!

Dale Rodabaugh
10-09-2005, 11:51 AM
Seem to be following you around today Jack.I bought the Freud Super Dado 508 earlier this year,and I really like it.As with any stacked dado set it takes a little while to set it up for that just right fit.Once you get it set it does a beautiful job of cutting dados,square sides,bottom,etc.Got mine thru Amazon.com.At the time they were discounting it and also had free shipping.Might want to Ck.them out.:rolleyes: :D :cool:

John Shuk
10-09-2005, 1:58 PM
I have wobble dado from crapsman that Someone gave me still in the package. Might offset the price nicely on the Freud if Sears has it.

Dennis McDonaugh
10-09-2005, 2:15 PM
If you already have a good dado blade why would you want set that only makes a couple size dados?

Allen Bookout
10-09-2005, 2:48 PM
If you already have a good dado blade why would you want set that only makes a couple size dados?

THAT IS A GOOD QUESTION!!!!!! Allen

Lee DeRaud
10-09-2005, 3:24 PM
If you already have a good dado blade why would you want set that only makes a couple size dados?Maybe because it's not a general purpose dado set? My understanding is that the box-joint blade set is designed specifically to cut perfectly square 1/4" or 3/8" notches in (relatively) thin material. Your "good dado blade" may be very good, it may even be good enough for cutting decent box joints...but it's not the same thing.

Corey Hallagan
10-09-2005, 9:09 PM
As Lee said, this specialty set is made to make 1/4 and 3/8 flat perfect grooves very quickley with no set up time. Just depends on which way you run it. No hassling around trying to find the perfect set up. Worth the price of admission in my opinion.
Corey

Hank Knight
10-10-2005, 12:36 AM
Hank, if I may ask, what is that specialty blade set selling for?

Jim, I apologize; I missed your question. I paid $79.90 for the Frued Box Joint Blade. This was a 10% discount from the list price.

Jack Wood
10-10-2005, 8:50 AM
On the question of why buy the Freud if you already have a good dado is for me one of simplicity. Most of my projects are small jewelry boxes and the like so for me the 1/4 and 3/8ths widths are just what I need. I spent near a 1/2 hour trying to set up the dial type dado I have now, and the slot it cut was not flat or sq and the tear out was bad. So while I am going to get a dado for larger jobs like tenons and such, for box making this looks like a time saver.:)