PDA

View Full Version : Lights out

Eric Weinheimer
12-06-2016, 8:10 PM
Light fixtures
I have my flourescent lights daisy chained. The last lights in the fixture in the chain went out. Any ideas as to why?

Frederick Skelly
12-06-2016, 9:19 PM
Because they're burned out? :D:D:D

Ok, I couldn't resist. But seriously now. If you haven't already, I'd:
1. Check the ballasts on the failed fixture
2. Check the connections at the last point in the power chain - the place where the wire leading to the failed fixture connects to power (confirms the power line is connected)
3. Maybe put a tester at the power input point on the failed fixture itself (confirms power is reaching it). Sorry I don't have any better ideas.

Eric Weinheimer
12-06-2016, 10:48 PM
All four fixtures went out about the same time. I'm going to check the ballasts tomorrow

Frederick Skelly
12-07-2016, 6:35 AM
Ok. Didnt understand 4 fixtures were out from the above.

A long shot to check if you havent already ( and Im not trying to be a wise guy) - check the instructions to see if there are any warnings or constraints on how many can be chained together. I mention that because I just read somewhere else that the instructions for someone's LED lights said not to chain more than 4 together. I wasnt clear why, but perhaps your lights have a "max" number of some sort.

Good luck. Hope you figure it out.

Cody Jensen
12-07-2016, 10:51 AM
Is it possible you're using pre-installed wires that are undersized for the length and the voltage drop is too high?

Don Jarvie
12-07-2016, 10:20 PM
Do you have them all hard wired together? One shouldn't knock all of them out.

It it may be time for an upgrade. I put in 10 T8 Lithonias from Home Depot and have 5 one each switch all hard wired together. They have been up for 8 years and some are starting to go so I just replace them. At 20 bucks a piece it's pretty easy on the budget.