PDA

View Full Version : My "new to me" ULS engraver!

Kelly Klaas
12-06-2016, 1:19 AM
Howdy folks. It's been a while since I have posted here. A little over a year ago my Chinese laser self destructed. I had settled in my mind that I would just try to get along without one. Well, after a year with no laser engraver I decided I missed it too much. So I picked up a refurbished (with a BRAND NEW LASER TUBE) Universal Laser X2-660 60 watt machine with a tube that tests out at 75 watts. Wow! What a difference from my previous overrated 40 watt Chinese machine. This thing is a bruiser. It is going to be a great addition to my wood shop. So far I am very happy with the machine and I just had to share my excitement with someone else who would understand. :)

Thanks for listening!
Kelly in southern Idaho

gary l roberts
12-06-2016, 7:56 AM
Well, Welcome back to the fold.

Bill George
12-06-2016, 9:33 AM
I looks just like the one I sold, it was built for commercial duty and worked great. However I am downsizing for a retirement move and did not have room for it.

Brian Lamb
12-06-2016, 8:04 PM
Welcome to the ULS brotherhood.... LOL! I have an old X600 that looks the same, been a decent machine so far for me.

Kelly Klaas
12-06-2016, 11:54 PM
Hi Everyone. Thanks for your replies!

Brian Leavitt
12-07-2016, 10:01 AM
This will be a good laser for you, Kelly. My favorite laser of the ones I have is also the oldest, and also gives me the best quality engraving of the four -- the X2-600. It's essentially the same machine as the X2-660. The 660 is just slightly newer.

Kelly Klaas
12-07-2016, 11:31 PM
Thanks Brian. That's good to know. This machine is WAY overkill for me and my hobby shop garage. But it should do everything I will ever want to do. It is a refurbished machine with a brand new laser tube that rates at 75 watts! :)

Daniel Mayfield
12-13-2016, 7:05 PM
Looks like a great purchase congrats. I have had a case of laser lust for years. Your post raises the question for me ,how old is too old to be a production machine? I have looked at chinese machines and entry level US machines and I'm wondering if a used higher end machine might not be the way to go. I'm only after a hobby shop for now but I'm facing disability at 44 so I may try and grow it since I can't face the thought of sitting around doing nothing.
god Bless,
Dan

Bill George
12-13-2016, 7:37 PM
I think all the main line ULS, Epilog and Trotec all sell parts for the older machines. You just need to make sure your drivers or software is kept up date. More than likely you will need to keep a Windows 7 machine around.

Daniel Mayfield
12-13-2016, 7:49 PM
Windows 7 ? Heck I have a complete like new XP system in the closet. I am a confessed ex-pc tech and hoarder.

Bill George
12-13-2016, 9:09 PM
Windows 7 ? Heck I have a complete like new XP system in the closet. I am a confessed ex-pc tech and hoarder.
There are a bunch on here the same way, me included!

Brian Leavitt
12-14-2016, 9:31 AM
You can install the ULS driver on a Windows 10 machine. You just have to change the driver signature verification settings to get it to go through.

Ian Stewart-Koster
12-16-2016, 9:44 PM
Your machine looks like out 2002 model M-300 - but ours is only a 45 watt - still a wonderful machine. New tube 3 years ago.
Runs contentedly on Win7 or XP.
Chinese cheapies do not come close to matching it.