PDA

View Full Version : recurring corel problem

Bert Kemp
12-05-2016, 6:02 PM
If I make 20 1.5" circles with text inside, then engrave and then cut, the circle wants to cut 21 times. I check it says hairline, I nudge and it moves with nothing behind it. I can't figure out why it does it. Could it be because I ctr D the circle 20 times to get my 20 pieces ?:confused::confused:

Gary Hair
12-05-2016, 6:30 PM
I'm not sure why it would do that but could guess that it's ctrl-d. How about using step and repeat instead? You can set the horizontal and vertical distances as well as rows and columns. Much quicker than ctrl-d and a big plus is it keeps everything on the same layer as it was created, not sure if ctrl-d does that.

Bert Kemp
12-05-2016, 6:34 PM
is that step and repeat in corel

David Somers
12-05-2016, 7:03 PM
Bert,

I have never had CTRL D do that to me?
Just for giggles, what happens if you do your multiple CTRL D's and get them situated where you want them. Then go back to the original and left flick it and drag it away. Do you still have a circle beneath it? I just checked in my X7 version and there isnt any setting to allow you to leave an original when duping. Only to set the offset. Are you set so your duplicate is put a short distance from your original? If not, Go to Tools, Options, the document tab, and then general and set the horizontal and vertical offset to something easy like .25"

Another thought, Any chance your mouse click is set to repeat with too light a touch?

And the step and repeat Gary mentioned is in Corel. Under the edit menu. Select your object. Then edit and "step and Repeat" You will get a docker popping up that lets you determine the offset on the X and Y access, along with the number of times you want it to repeat.

Dave

Mike Chance in Iowa
12-05-2016, 7:05 PM
If you select them all, does it show 20 or 21 objects selected on Layer X?

If you created a circle and then did a Ctrl+D (Duplicate), you now have 2 circles. If you Ctrl + D twenty times, you duplicated 20 additional circles to your first one. If you choose Step and Repeat method (Ctrl+Shift+D), if your end result is 20 circles, you need to tell it Number of Copies = 19.

David Somers
12-05-2016, 7:20 PM
Bert,

I might have found a possible cause. If you select an object and while it is selected hit the plus symbol you will create a duplicate object with no offset. On top of the original in otherwords.

If you are using a laptop and you have an embedded numeric keypad (usually shown as blue numbers on your normal alphabet keyboard, then you could be hitting the +symbol inadvertantly by hitting the function key. That would activate the blue key assignment much like doing a shift gets you a capital letter.

Also, if you arent able to find this, there is a macro you can use that will eliminate underlying duplicates. I use it when I am tracing since I often get a set of duplicates formed by the trace. The macro deals nicely with them.

Dave

Kev Williams
12-05-2016, 7:28 PM
I've never had ctrl-D do anything weird like that--

Never even seen step & repeat, but just found it, and tried it-- best I can tell, it's function is identical to ctrl-D except that you have to enter how many copies you think you need vs. clicking D as many times as you need... ctrl-D works better for me because I'm always "copying to fit", such as when cutting tape circles to fit across 11" of paper...

Bert, do you ctrl-D a certain distance from the original, or just ctrl-D in the same place and move the copy?

David Somers
12-05-2016, 7:35 PM
Kev,

I think the default for CTRL D is a .25" offset on the horizonatal and vertical. Of course Bert could have changed it to 0 for some reason.

Bert Kemp
12-05-2016, 8:20 PM
I ctr d it offset about .25 then I put it were I want it and the rest are properly spaced.
no circles left when I drag it away
I ctr d 20 have 21 objects my first and 20 more.

Bert Kemp
12-05-2016, 8:26 PM
I know the last time this happened when you guys looked at the file you found more circles.
But I don't see them, I grabbed just the circle, dragged it away. selected it and nudged it the whole thing moved and nothing left behind. I looked at it in wire mode too.348959

Bert Kemp
12-05-2016, 8:28 PM
I'm going to delete all the circles and replace them with a new single hairline one, its a PITA but what else can I do:mad:

Gary Hair
12-05-2016, 8:30 PM
How are you grabbing the circle? That can have a big impact on what happens when you move it. If you drag a selection box around the circle then you get it and everything above and below it but if you click on the circle then you should get just one.

Bert Kemp
12-05-2016, 8:36 PM
How are you grabbing the circle? That can have a big impact on what happens when you move it. If you drag a selection box around the circle then you get it and everything above and below it but if you click on the circle then you should get just one.

i get just one, nothing left behind

David Somers
12-05-2016, 8:49 PM
Bert.....helpful suggestions are simply flooding you!! <grin>

Open up the Object Manager dock. It will appear on your left side.
I assume you just have one layer going, but just in case, make sure the layer you are working in is selected.
It will show you every group of objects listed with group labels. Individual objects are listed as Object.

Now....first, click the object that appears to have 21 dupes all in one place. At least as the laser is interpreting it.
What does the object manager show it is? It will be highlighted.
Is it an object or a group?
If it is a group that may be the problem. All the individual groups are being treated as one and will look like one whether you select it with a selection box or by selecting just the obect you see. But to the laser it will be 21 iterations of that circle, one under the other under the other, etc.

If that is the case ungroup it.
The same could be true if the group of objects somehow got combined rather than grouped.
If they were combined they will show as a curve rather than as a group or object. In that case right click on it and select break curve apart.
Then see what happens. You should now have control of all those items as individual items.

If all that fails, then a fairly easy way to work around it while we continue to ponder would be to go ahead and make your dupes. Look in object manager to be sure they are each objects and not groups or curves by the way. Then when you have the ones you want select the original circle with a selection box and delete it. If there are dupes or groups or curves there they should all get deleted. Recreate the one circle in that location and you are done. No need to individually do each circle as you feared. Not perfect, but better for now.

And please pardon my slow response. Working on making Minestrone so hovering above the burners. I havent figured out how to do it with the laser yet or I would be out there instead! <grin>

Bert Kemp
12-05-2016, 9:34 PM
Dave yes I am overwhelmed with suggestions and I'm pretty much a complete no nothing when it comes to corel and layers and all that. and trying to understand what very one is telling me and then trying to do it is really rattling me. What I do know is that I made only 1 hairline 1.5 inch circle around my text and now I have multiple circles that I can't find, and this happens a lot to me and I don't know what I do to cause it . So like I said I'm going to delete all the circles and then put in new ones.
Thank you all for the suggestions I just can seem to figure it out.348967

Bert.....helpful suggestions are simply flooding you!! <grin>

Open up the Object Manager dock. It will appear on your left side.
I assume you just have one layer going, but just in case, make sure the layer you are working in is selected.
It will show you every group of objects listed with group labels. Individual objects are listed as Object.

Now....first, click the object that appears to have 21 dupes all in one place. At least as the laser is interpreting it.
What does the object manager show it is? It will be highlighted.
Is it an object or a group?
If it is a group that may be the problem. All the individual groups are being treated as one and will look like one whether you select it with a selection box or by selecting just the obect you see. But to the laser it will be 21 iterations of that circle, one under the other under the other, etc.

If that is the case ungroup it.
The same could be true if the group of objects somehow got combined rather than grouped.
If they were combined they will show as a curve rather than as a group or object. In that case right click on it and select break curve apart.
Then see what happens. You should now have control of all those items as individual items.

If all that fails, then a fairly easy way to work around it while we continue to ponder would be to go ahead and make your dupes. Look in object manager to be sure they are each objects and not groups or curves by the way. Then when you have the ones you want select the original circle with a selection box and delete it. If there are dupes or groups or curves there they should all get deleted. Recreate the one circle in that location and you are done. No need to individually do each circle as you feared. Not perfect, but better for now.

And please pardon my slow response. Working on making Minestrone so hovering above the burners. I havent figured out how to do it with the laser yet or I would be out there instead! <grin>

Glen Monaghan
12-06-2016, 9:24 AM
If you made one circle and then hit ctrl D 20 times, you have 21 circles so of course it will cut 21 times. You can lasso or click-drag to select all your circles (or probably hit ctrl-A to Select All if you have nothing but the circles) and have CD tell you how many it has; if it says 21 then it's working as expected but, if it says 20, then you have a mystery!

Bert Kemp
12-06-2016, 11:36 AM
you don't get it.
I have 21 individual circles and each one the laser cuts each circle 21 times before it moves to the next circle.

If you made one circle and then hit ctrl D 20 times, you have 21 circles so of course it will cut 21 times. You can lasso or click-drag to select all your circles (or probably hit ctrl-A to Select All if you have nothing but the circles) and have CD tell you how many it has; if it says 21 then it's working as expected but, if it says 20, then you have a mystery!

Gary Hair
12-06-2016, 11:49 AM
Bert - send me your file, I'd like to take a look and see if I can figure out the problem - ghair at nwlaserimage dot com

Bert Kemp
12-06-2016, 11:58 AM
Gary I appreciate the offer but I already deleted all the circles and replaced them with a single hairline replacement.
Funny thing is I took one circle and hit ctr d 20 times then place those around my text and it worked just fine.
Its got me baffled. Thats what I've been doing since 7am LOL

Bert - send me your file, I'd like to take a look and see if I can figure out the problem - ghair at nwlaserimage dot com

Tony Lenkic
12-06-2016, 12:45 PM
Bert,

After setting your job in Corel you would normally export as DXF and import into your other software that controls machine.
What version of DXF you select on export? Try different format and save the file on desktop, close Corel program and reopen it than import the file in to Corel.
Do you now have 20 circles or is there multiple stocked up. I'm trying to isolate if your other program on import multiplies those circles since no one else has this issue with Corel.

Bert Kemp
12-06-2016, 12:52 PM
I make the file in corel save it as a dxf then import to lasercut and run the program.
gonna be gone for a while now check in later

Bert,

After setting your job in Corel you would normally export as DXF and import into your other software that controls machine.
What version of DXF you select on export? Try different format and save the file on desktop, close Corel program and reopen it than import the file in to Corel.
Do you now have 20 circles or is there multiple stocked up. I'm trying to isolate if your other program on import multiplies those circles since no one else has this issue with Corel.

Bruce Clumpner
12-06-2016, 2:41 PM
You only need to Ctr-D 19 times... your original is already there....

David Somers
12-06-2016, 10:16 PM
Hey Bert!!!

No worries. Corel is not the most intuitive program I have run across.

If you want to chat and go over some of this stuff I think you have my number? If not, eight oh 8 niner tre sex, too sex ohhhhh ate. (every bot in the world will probably get that now! <grin> I am in and out all week.