PDA

View Full Version : WEN Air cleaner

Prashun Patel
12-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Does anyone have experience with this air cleaner? At 1/2 price of its competition, it's hard not to consider.

Mark Spagnuolo has me nervous about my air quality.

Marc Burt
12-05-2016, 11:34 AM
Same CFM as others? Every time I think I find a deal on an air cleaner it moves significantly less air.

Ben Rivel
12-05-2016, 11:37 AM
Man the most popular one out there (the Jet) was only $265 during Black Friday! You should have jumped on one then!

Ive never heard of the WEN version though, so cant comment on that one. I went with the Jet.

glenn bradley
12-05-2016, 12:48 PM
Does anyone have experience with this air cleaner? At 1/2 price of its competition, it's hard not to consider.

Mark Spagnuolo has me nervous about my air quality.

Half the price and a third of the CFM :). You don't need the Wood Whisperer to make you think about air quality, you know this all by yourself.

I have a shop-built one that runs about 1600 CFM. It is not quiet. However, I only run it when I am trying to scrub the air. This is when I am power sanding or something like that in a way that disallows a vac hookup. This also means I have hearing protection on anyway. I also leave the area after finishing a phase of the activity. The air scrubber will clear the air in about 20 minutes and I go in for another round.

Dad has the JDS 750 from years back. I think they have lost the crown as of the last reviews I read. I think the Jet was getting the nod lately. At any rate, he and I find the multiple speeds to be of no use whatever. We do not use it in a way that we would want it running slowly and quietly in the background. We're woodworking which means if we need an air scrubber, we need it NOW. My point is that a remote is really cool as is a timer but, 1, 2, or 3 speeds make little impact on my buying decision.

Filter media life and replacement cost are the great equalizer. A cheap unit that requires paper filters to be replaced once a month turns out to be no bargain really quick. Washable filters, cloth bags and polarized micro-dust grabbers are the order of the day and pay off in the long run. So does finding filters that fit my shop made unit on clearance at Wal-Mart; I must have 50 of them at 25 cents each :D:D:D.

Gail Ludwig
12-05-2016, 1:46 PM
Yep - I have this air cleaner. Bought it last spring and have used it quite a bit. I usually turn it on when I work in my basement shop -- set it at high speed for 4 hours and then forget about it. It isn't too loud - more like a background blower going. I often wonder if it is doing any good - then I look at the filters and am pretty amazed by the stuff it collects. I am also running a HF 2hp DC unit with a Winn Filter that is connected to a tool via a hose when using it. So this thing seems to pick up the "fines" that escape the other system. If you order it, get some extra inner and outer filters - sooner or later you will need them.

Garth Almgren
12-07-2016, 1:25 PM
I have one that I bought a few years ago on Woot.com, and from what I can tell it is nearly identical (aside from paint and a few stickers) to the Jet/Grizzly/whatever 3 speed air cleaners that are rated at 1/8 HP and 300/350/400 CFM. They're all probably made in the same factory, and based on how simple the thing is they're probably even the exact same components.

Mine has worked flawlessly since I installed it. Usually I'll turn it on high before I start turning wood into dust and set the timer for 4 hours using the remote. It pulls an amazing amount of dust out of the air, especially considering that my shop is not sealed at the eaves at all. I really noticed it a couple weeks ago when I was using the bandsaw (not connected to my DC) and forgot to turn on the air filter. When I did remember to turn it on, it cleared the visible particles out of the air within 3 minutes. I don't have a Dylos to test, but it seems to be doing the job.

The filters (outer 5 micron, inner 1 micron) are interchangeable between the brands, and I think last time I checked Grizzly.com had the best price on replacement filters for their version (G0738), although Amazon does have Wen filters in a two pack that might be a better deal if you have Prime.

Wade Lippman
12-07-2016, 10:19 PM
The Jet1000 claims to move more than twice the air, costs more than twice as much, and weighs almost twice as much.

I have a Jet500 that I have turn on with the lights because it is pretty quiet, and a Jet1000 that I turn on when I am making dust. The 1000 is easily twice the weight, air, and noise of the 500. If I had to bet, the WEN is more like the 500. But I haven't seen it, so who knows....

Even if I am right, that doesn't mean the WEN isn't a good choice for you!