PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if your electrician has OCD

Ole Anderson
12-05-2016, 9:32 AM
Saw this on FB, thought it was worth reposting.
https://scontent.fdet1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15319142_1819289778310208_4909137613000744136_n.jp g?oh=42e02cc5fa4e8e6433060607fb3352f6&oe=58F08569

Michael Weber
12-05-2016, 9:59 AM
That's pretty amazing. I had a friend that rewired his house and the Romex in the attic was laid out about like that on 1x4s he put in. No kinks or sags and with a staple about every foot. He even predrilled the staple holes so not to split the 1x4s. Until then I thought of him as normal :rolleyes:

Jim Koepke
12-05-2016, 11:16 AM
Did they also clock the screws?

I would rather have something neat like that instead of some of the rat's nests so commonly encountered.

jtk

Randy Red Bemont
12-05-2016, 11:21 AM
I would him in a second!!

Red

Brian Tymchak
12-05-2016, 12:29 PM
Wow, that's a work of art! I can't trace a wire out of my box.

Bruce Page
12-05-2016, 12:37 PM
I don't know, the 110 electrical box's lower wiring looks sloppy. :rolleyes:

Sam Murdoch
12-05-2016, 12:55 PM
This person loves his/her job :cool:.

Mike Wilkins
12-05-2016, 1:45 PM
I would hire this guy in a heartbeat.

Rod Sheridan
12-05-2016, 1:53 PM
My father was an electrician, when I was a teenager and would help him, that's what all of his work looked like whether it was romex or 4" rigid.

Once I ran 3 parallel 3" EMT in the ceiling of a crawlspace where you had to lay on your back to drill the anchor holes.

One run wasn't exactly parallel and I was told to redo it without pay.

I foolishly retorted something to the effect of "Who will ever know about this, or who did it?".

Boy, I received the 10 minute lecture on the fact that he knew about it, and he never did work like that or wanted his name attached to it, that he was a tradesman and not some clown from the curb, yada yada yada.

I did redo it, and he did pay me for it (I Think), little did I know that his influence would shape my future.

Decades later I was making Morris chairs and my one daughter when I explained about the M&T construction said "Dad, why not use biscuits, who will ever know? That's just stupid doing all that work for nothing".

Geez, it was like lecture flashback, afterwards I exclaimed to Diann "Jeez, I've become my father".

She replied, "Well, at least you picked a good role model"...........Smart lady, wonder what she's still doing with me?.........Rod.

Jim Laumann
12-05-2016, 2:42 PM
My son is building a house at this time, just starting in on the electrical stuff. Sent him a copy.....

Shawn Pixley
12-05-2016, 3:46 PM
Looks great to me. I would try to do it that neatly.

Patrick McCarthy
12-05-2016, 4:22 PM
25 years ago we bought our house (built 1964 ish) and soon thereafter I pulled the cover off my main panel of breakers and the wires to each of the circuit breakers was done by his younger brother or cousin - definitely a blood relative with the same family influence - I had two reactions: first was admiration and appreciation "This guy was a craftsman, knew what he was doing, and did it as though it were his own house." and the second was priceless, ie piece of mind.

Art Mann
12-05-2016, 8:09 PM
I question the wisdom (or code compliance) of running exposed wires in that way. That must be an unusual situation.

Bruce Wrenn
12-05-2016, 9:18 PM
Does anyone remember the conduit to outside of Kentucky Fried Chicken places? It must have been factory bent so each piece was parallel to next.

John Terefenko
12-05-2016, 11:01 PM
I love it. As an electrician for 43 years I tried to adhere to this way of thinking. Doing pipe work was my most joy and getting all the concentric bends to match up. It was what we were taught and the mark of a good union electrician. I would love to see the inside of the panel also. I bet that too is neat and easy to follow.

Dave Zellers
12-06-2016, 12:08 AM
I would put this guy in charge of everything.

Jason Roehl
12-06-2016, 6:22 AM
I would put this guy in charge of everything.

I wouldn't--it's a nice thought to have everything that neat and "perfect", but the guy would be a boor and probably miss every deadline.

Also, the old business axiom applies: "Cheap, fast, good--pick two." Except in this case cheap and fast aren't possible. We all like to think that we would only do top-notch work, no matter the situation, but the reality is that not one of you own a Koenigsegg, and a lot of you have bought low-end cars.

John Lanciani
12-06-2016, 6:29 AM
Yeah, looks cool but a major waste of time and wall space. Additionally, he didn't leave any room to add even a single new feed coming out of the top of either panel so the first time someone has to add anything its going to look like crap anyways. It would have looked cleaner and been much more practical with a couple of chase conduits running from the top of each panel up to the ceiling.

Jim Koepke
12-06-2016, 11:34 AM
We all like to think that we would only do top-notch work, no matter the situation, but the reality is that not one of you own a Koenigsegg, and a lot of you have bought low-end cars.

Some of us have need on occasion to haul a load of lumber. A Koenigsegg is not a good choice for such a job or even picking up a load of grandkids at the airport.

To me it shows the person doing the job took the time to think about what they were doing and used their brains while doing the job, it is likely they also put a little bit of their heart into their work.

jtk

Dennis Peacock
12-06-2016, 12:21 PM
My father was an electrician, when I was a teenager and would help him, that's what all of his work looked like whether it was romex or 4" rigid.

Once I ran 3 parallel 3" EMT in the ceiling of a crawlspace where you had to lay on your back to drill the anchor holes.

One run wasn't exactly parallel and I was told to redo it without pay.

I foolishly retorted something to the effect of "Who will ever know about this, or who did it?".

Boy, I received the 10 minute lecture on the fact that he knew about it, and he never did work like that or wanted his name attached to it, that he was a tradesman and not some clown from the curb, yada yada yada.

I did redo it, and he did pay me for it (I Think), little did I know that his influence would shape my future.

Decades later I was making Morris chairs and my one daughter when I explained about the M&T construction said "Dad, why not use biscuits, who will ever know? That's just stupid doing all that work for nothing".

Geez, it was like lecture flashback, afterwards I exclaimed to Diann "Jeez, I've become my father".

She replied, "Well, at least you picked a good role model"...........Smart lady, wonder what she's still doing with me?.........Rod.

Good on ya Rod!!! It's amazing at how many things we do as adults that reflect one or both parents.

glenn bradley
12-08-2016, 4:34 PM
Looks normal to me . . .

Kev Williams
12-09-2016, 2:28 AM
I count 68 separate lines. At only 15 amps per, that's over 1000 amps worth... I'm no electrician, but even I know that's a bit much for those boxes...

Jason Roehl
12-09-2016, 6:00 AM
I count 68 separate lines. At only 15 amps per, that's over 1000 amps worth... I'm no electrician, but even I know that's a bit much for those boxes...

Perfectly acceptable. Nobody uses all the circuits in their home to their full capacity at the same time. If anything, a few might be near capacity (A/C, stove, dryer, and a couple of the receptacle circuits), but those don't add up to the 200A that (larger) load center is capable of handling.

Even if they do go over, that's what the main breaker is for.

John Lanciani
12-09-2016, 7:33 AM

If that were true why would they make 40 slot 200 amp panels? The installation pictured is typical and acceptable in regards to the number of circuits exiting the panel.

Larry Frank
12-09-2016, 7:37 AM
This brings back memories of my dad. Everything had to be right. I safety wired some nuts one time and he inspected it. He took his wire cutters and cut it apart saying to do it right. I later understood what it meant that he had been trained as an aircraft mechanic.

The last electricians I had put in a sub panel and when I checked the job all the wires in the box were very neatly done and I was pleased. It turns out that there were apprentices on the job and the journeyman was instructing them on doing the job properly.

Patrick Walsh
12-09-2016, 8:46 AM
Im not sure this is not just some spoof photo.

On the other hamd i am residential carpenter/builder that leans more towards th finish aspects of the trade but does it all. I see way to much "just get it done, the next guy will deal with it" attitude to not appreciate when someone does pay attention to detail and take the time to do something right, dare i suggest even a hint of pride.

Someone once said "if we have the time to do it twice, why dont we have the time to do it right the first time".

Imop its a rare person that takes pride in their work anymore regardless of what that work is.

John Terefenko
12-09-2016, 3:22 PM
If that were true why would they make 40 slot 200 amp panels? The installation pictured is typical and acceptable in regards to the number of circuits exiting the panel.

They make well over 40 slot panels today.

www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-QO-Plug-On-Neutral-200-Amp-Main-Breaker-54-Space-54-Circuit-Indoor-Load-Center-with-Cover-QO154M200PC/204844645

www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-QO-200-Amp-60-Space-60-Circuit-Indoor-Main-Plug-On-Neutral-Load-Breaker-Center-with-Cover-QO160M200PC/204246798

Kev Williams
12-09-2016, 5:09 PM
Perfectly acceptable. Nobody uses all the circuits in their home to their full capacity at the same time. If anything, a few might be near capacity (A/C, stove, dryer, and a couple of the receptacle circuits), but those don't add up to the 200A that (larger) load center is capable of handling.

Even if they do go over, that's what the main breaker is for.
I may not be an electrician as I noted before, but I am able to find some code info:

Number of Devices in Panelboards;
A maximum of 42 overcurrent devices (excluding the main device) are permitted to be installed in a lighting / and appliance branch circuit panelboard per NEC Section 384-15. In addition, a physical means to prevent the installation of more devices than that for which the panelboard has been designed, rated or approved must be provided. Lastly, a multiple pole circuit breaker or fused switch is considered to be a multiple overcunent device equal to the number of poles. Thus, a two pole circuit breaker is considered as two overcurrent devices.

As cute as all that wiring is, and whether or not those 68 wires will ever add up to more than the 400 amp the box is likely rated for, there's 51 lines running into that box. And if what I read above is correct, that ain't legal. And probably not all that smart.

Ole Anderson
12-09-2016, 5:29 PM
It is not unusual to bring two wires into a panel to be served by one breaker. Not saying it is correct, or incorrect.

Tony Zona
12-09-2016, 7:39 PM
I'm just going to guess that's incorrect. Just a guess.
:confused:

Rich Riddle
12-09-2016, 9:33 PM
It is correct if you don't place two wires (double lug) on a breaker. You are allowed connections within the box though. If you double lug your breaker, it's incorrect; at least here.

John Terefenko
12-10-2016, 1:08 AM
I may not be an electrician as I noted before, but I am able to find some code info:

As cute as all that wiring is, and whether or not those 68 wires will ever add up to more than the 400 amp the box is likely rated for, there's 51 lines running into that box. And if what I read above is correct, that ain't legal. And probably not all that smart.

Look at my last post and beside there is a sub-panel next to it. We do not know how many slot panel that is. It could be a 60 slot panel.

Tony Zona
12-10-2016, 8:07 AM
It is correct if you don't place two wires (double lug) on a breaker. You are allowed connections within the box though. If you double lug your breaker, it's incorrect; at least here.

I wasn't thinking of anything other than double lug. I didn't even know there was a word for it, double lug, but I was pretty sure that is not correct.

Does this mean you can wire-nut two circuits together, then lead just one wire to a breaker?

Can't you tell I don't know wiring? :confused:

Ole Anderson
12-10-2016, 11:58 AM
Not OCD, but I do like my breakers tagged clearly, so I did an Excel spreadsheet and taped it to the panel door. And when I changed out my furnace in October, I noticed the larger 1 hp blower required a 20 amp service, so I changed out the breaker and wiring from 15 amp to 20 amp. The furnace guy that came to do the new plenum said he never saw anybody upgrade the wiring for a 1 hp blower.

Rich Riddle
12-10-2016, 12:27 PM
You are allowed to wire nut two circuits together in the fuse box and then have one wire go to the circuit breaker. That's legal here. You simply can't have two wires going to the same circuit breaker. You should note that those two "circuits" cannot have more maximum units (such as lights, duplex receptacles, etc.) than allowed had they been wired as one.
I wasn't thinking of anything other than double lug. I didn't even know there was a word for it, double lug, but I was pretty sure that is not correct.

Does this mean you can wire-nut two circuits together, then lead just one wire to a breaker?

Can't you tell I don't know wiring? :confused: