PDA

View Full Version : Delta TS 34-761S rebuild - ease my fear

Dave Manley
12-05-2016, 1:05 AM
OK Experts - I may be fine but I am a little scared. I purchase a used Delta 34-761S at auction. Good but not great price - $400.
The policy of the auction house is to cut off power cords and force buyers to verify wiring before power up. This also means no power test inspection before purchase. When I powered up (220V) the arbor bearing was screachy. A quick spray of silicon made it quiet but obviously I need to replace right away. I pushed on the belts and it felt like one was a little tighter than the others. In any case, I might as well replace belts while I am there. Motor sounded fine, no vibration, blade feels tight, no run out that I feel. I thouught it was a little louder than I expected - rumbled some - but I could not feel vibration and I think it would pass the nickel test.
I looked around and replacement seems pretty easy but I am still afraid of removing the top and dismantling everything - Will I be able to get good alignment?
Easy questions:
1. If I order bearings and belts, do I need anything else?
2. I found the parts on eReplacement - any other shopping I should do? I want matched belts so I won't risk Grainger or my auto store. $33 each for two bearings and another $40 for belts. Oh well, it should be a tight machine after this, right?

Just curious - anyone know what the "S" after the model indicates? I found the serial lookup table - mine is an 1985 I believe. I did not find a model description but I have the saw so I don't need a lot of details.

I know you guys like details so:
The saw came with a Unifence and the short rail. The fence has blade marks so I got the Uni-T Fence and ordered a 50" rail.
The cool extra was an Excalibur sliding table. I don't have room for it now but I have dreams of a large shop someday so I will hold the slide in storage for now. Perhaps not such a bad price after all..;)

Bruce Wrenn
12-05-2016, 9:25 PM
Due to closer tolerances in manufacturing, matched belts are a thing of the past. Besides after a few hours of use are they still matched? Bearings are just that bearings. There are many sources of quality bearings, other than OEM. Accurite is just one. They are the favorite over at OWM

fRED mCnEILL
12-05-2016, 10:05 PM
You can probably save money by going to a bearing house. Bearings are standard sizes.
Also for the belts use the segmented link belts.

Cary Falk
12-06-2016, 5:26 AM
The arbor bearings are pretty standard. I got a set off the shelf at NAPA. Shouldn't cost anywhere near $33. Matched belts not really needed. Some people only run 1 belt.

lee cox
12-06-2016, 12:28 PM
You should be fine. You need a puller for the pulleys and realize some of the threads are left hand. Just go slow. If you don't want to rebuild the arbor there are places you can send it to have the bearings replaced. And never force cast iron as it will break.

I have fixed up 3 Delta table saws. I started with a Delta contractor saw. Then I restored a Unisaw Jr which was a real mess. My last was a Unisaw which was not in as bad of shape as the other 2. Unisaw just needed cleaning up and the pulleys aligned as it would not run with 3 belts. I got it all lined up and it is running 3 Gates premium AX24 belts.