PDA

View Full Version : Garage shop floor

Peter Pedisich
10-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Hi,

My shop is in one side of a 2-car garage and the floor is 35 year old cement with some rough patches. I'd like to know your opinions on my options below:

1) Oil based floor enamel.
2) Epoxy from HD.
3) Vinyl tile - 12"x12"
4) DriCORE subfloor tiles (2'x2')
5) pvc tiles or sheet

I live in an area where moisture in the slab is a concern. An I'm looking for something easier to keep clean than dusty cement. There will also be a car in the other side during Dec/Jan/Feb.

Thanks!
Pete

Steve Stube
10-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Maybe another option for the list is to grind the surface smooth prior to options 1,2 and possibly 3. Some tool rental outlets can provide grinding stones that clip on the trowels of a troweling machine.

I once obtained an adheasive for vinyl tile specifically designed for applications were moisture is a concern. It worked well and that was 12 years ago the tile was applied. There may be even more adheasive options available today but I think I could provide the name of the material I used if you want it.

My wood shop has a wood floor but the metal fabrication shop is on a cement floor and I have two areas under test for sealers to reduce dusting of the cement. I used two different Thompson products but prefer this acrylic latex sealer in clear but it does come pretinted/pigmented (gray, white and a couple more colors I don't remember what they are). Being a water base product it may be okay in applications were moisture is present (I don't know for sure) but my floor has poly under it so moisture is not a problem. Unlike the Thompson masonary sealer (petroleum based) this has very little oder as it is applied.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/ceethese/Posted%20photos/ConcreteSealer.jpg

Allen Bookout
10-08-2005, 12:42 AM
I used the "ucoat it" product on my garage floor about six months ago and think that it is terriffic. Still looks like new and cleans up real easy. It looks like a showroom floor. Be sure to use their surface prep since your concrete sounds like that it has some bad spots. If you decide to use their product get the video first and watch the process so that you will know what you need. My floor came out great but would have been even better if I had used the pre coating to level and fill the bad spots.

The web site is: http://www.ucoatit.com

Good luck! Allen

Gary Lange
10-08-2005, 9:08 AM
I have seen the DriCore panels used and they are really nice. They support a lot of weight and provide an airspace under the flooring to take care of the moisture. You do need to use and underlayment over them before yo put down any other material or paint. They are easy and quickly installed

Jim Becker
10-08-2005, 10:49 AM
If the DriCore is an option for you...it's the one I'd pick. "Wood" floor!

Bob Marino
10-08-2005, 11:19 AM
If the DriCore is an option for you...it's the one I'd pick. "Wood" floor!

Jim,

Can Dricore support the weight of a car?

Bob

Jim Becker
10-08-2005, 11:21 AM
Can Dricore support the weight of a car?

'Don't know, but I suspect not. It's designed primarily as an underlayment and the OSB layer is supported by plastic.

John Renzetti
10-08-2005, 12:22 PM
'Don't know, but I suspect not. It's designed primarily as an underlayment and the OSB layer is supported by plastic.

Hi Jim, I'm not certain but I think it can. A couple of guys on our FOG group put it down in their shops. I'll have to search the archives there but I believe they checked with Dri-core and got a positive answer. This should all be confirmed again by anyone who contemplates using Dri-core to support a car.
take care,
John

Peter Pedisich
10-08-2005, 3:35 PM
Thanks Guys!I like the idea about the DriCore because it is a one day job and I can roll my tools back in - as opposed to a sealer or epoxy (I don't have anywhere for my tools to go).
I would only put the DriCore tiles under my half of the garage and put a transition on the edge. Although this makes rolling my TS out into the driveway more difficult if not impossible. Then maybe I need to think about a floor covering for the DriCore, could I just paint it with floor paint before install?

Pete

Wes Bischel
10-08-2005, 4:22 PM
http://www.dricore.com/en/eindex.htm

To the specific question from Dricore:

Can DRICore subfloor panels support heavy objects?
The DRIcore subfloor panels can support over 5,724 lbs. per square foot, as tested by an independent lab, so heavy furniture and equipment like pool tables, weight sets and pianos are no problem.

Dricore would be a nice sub-floor to work on. Though I'm not sure about painting it.

Wes

Steve Stube
10-08-2005, 4:34 PM
Peter, the garage floor protector is dry to walk on in 30 minutes but they do recommend waiting 24 hours before driving a car on it. If you prefer a wood floor, I understand but nothing could be easier to apply (or less expensive) than the sealer.

Edit, Oops! I guess you wanted to cover up the old floor and rough spots - sealer won't do that. My mistake.

Wes Bischel
10-09-2005, 1:54 PM
Pete,

Here's one I saw at Lowes today:

http://www.subflor.com/

Similar type of product and even comes pre-finished - at a price I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Wes

Jim Becker
10-09-2005, 3:07 PM
The product from Lowes appears to be "very, very similar" to the DryCore that HD sells... ;) The pre-finished product, however, may be too "slick" for a woodshop application.

Peter Pedisich
10-09-2005, 4:07 PM
Thanks Wes! Thanks guys! I'll also check this Lowes brand.

I checked out the DriCore website and it says may be painted with the proper paint. I'm gonna look into paints for this...or maybe linoleum (real lino, not vinyl) remnants from work!

Thanks,
Pete