PDA

View Full Version : lasered cedar chest

Robert Alexander
10-07-2005, 10:54 PM
I am always trying new stuff with my engraver, and I just finished this cedar chest. I used some 3/4" burch plywood for the sides which I engraved into a quilted pattern. Then I took a small paint brush and stained parts of the plywood to make the pattern stand out. I found out that by vectoring the cut and setting the laser just out of focus it made a nice deep line that also kept the stain from being absorbed into other areas of the plywood that did not need stain. I had to also flip the front and back parts around because they were too big (18" x 37") to do in my laser. But they matched up nicely.

Laura Zaruba
10-07-2005, 11:03 PM
WOW! Very nice!

Karl Laustrup
10-08-2005, 7:31 AM
Now you've done it Robert. Another toyl I need to think about.

Geez, do you ever reach a point of not needing any more tools with this "hobby". :confused: :eek:

WOW! That is beautiful. Excellent. :)

Karl

William Desrochers
10-09-2005, 9:36 AM
Wow, very nice. How long did it take to engrave one side? Was it lasered in Vector, to cut the lines?

Robert Alexander
10-10-2005, 12:01 AM
William'
I Vector cut each pc. in about 12 minutes, using (if I remeber correctly it's late rihgt now} 30 speed and 80 power with a 45 watt epilog. I also raised the focus point above the material so I got about a 1/16" wide burn mark. This gave me the contrast I needed for the individual quilt blocks that I drew. I also tried this pattern in a test rastor setup but it took almost 30 minutes for each piece.