PDA

View Full Version : I gotta get me one of these

Ernie Nyvall
10-07-2005, 10:50 PM
One of my neighbors owns a tractor place in town and noticed I was having trouble with my mower. He dropped this demo off for me to take for a ride. I mowed the yard, which normally takes about two hours with my lawn tractor partly due to all the obstacles, in 30 min. In the pic I've moved on to the back field which I mowed with my brush hog a week ago, and this thing went through the big clumps of grass with little problem. It took me an hour to mow through two acres of this stuff. This thing is nice and I'm now seriously thinking of getting one. Perhaps that was my neighbors idea. It's 5 grand, but I've been through almost that in the last ten years with the home owner stye lawn tractors. This mower has a reinforced welded cutting deck... thicker than my brush hog. A sweet machine.

Ernie

Charles McKinley
10-07-2005, 11:27 PM
Hi Ernie,

What brand is it? I agree that zero turn mowers mow much faster. My Dad has a Dixon that has the wheels that is out front like this mower. If I were to buy one it would have the deck out front (like the Dixie Chopper I think?) so that you can get underneath things like bushes. I find that the wheel out front get in the way.

Just mytwo cents.

Ernie Nyvall
10-07-2005, 11:39 PM
Hi Ernie,

What brand is it? I agree that zero turn mowers mow much faster. My Dad has a Dixon that has the wheels that is out front like this mower. If I were to buy one it would have the deck out front (like the Dixie Chopper I think?) so that you can get underneath things like bushes. I find that the wheel out front get in the way.

Just mytwo cents.

Charles, this is an exMark mower. I haven't really paid any attention to different kinds. I hadn't been looking when this one showed up, but now that you mention it, I believe I've seen one with the deck out front. I'll have to take a look at them now that you've brought my attention to it. Thanks.

Ernie

Boyd Gathwright
10-08-2005, 1:05 AM
.... Ernie, You're headed in the right direction. It used to take me 4 ½ hours to cut the grass. Now it takes about an hour and twenty minutes, taking my time, and have done it in less than an hour. The lawn looks a lot better, the cut is super, not to mention a whole lot less wear and tear on me. I consider it a long term investment. I would rather pay a little more now than to be replacing every couple of years. That seems to be the trend rather than the exception these days. And with a commercial machine the best part is you have a substantially built and reliable mower. And if you can swing a diesel, and you take care of it, you most likely won't buy another mower for the rest of your life not to mention the fuel savings. I'll send you a PM.

.... Good luck on your choice ;).

Boyd

One of my neighbors owns a tractor place in town and noticed I was having trouble with my mower. He dropped this demo off for me to take for a ride. I mowed the yard, which normally takes about two hours with my lawn tractor partly due to all the obstacles, in 30 min. In the pic I've moved on to the back field which I mowed with my brush hog a week ago, and this thing went through the big clumps of grass with little problem. It took me an hour to mow through two acres of this stuff. This thing is nice and I'm now seriously thinking of getting one. Perhaps that was my neighbors idea. It's 5 grand, but I've been through almost that in the last ten years with the home owner stye lawn tractors. This mower has a reinforced welded cutting deck... thicker than my brush hog. A sweet machine.

Ernie

John Hart
10-08-2005, 6:58 AM
You sure got me thinkin' Ernie! Right now I don't have a lawn worthy of such a machine, but next spring we'll be moving to larger digs with 4 acres to mow. I want it to be a park atmosphere so I'm gonna need something reliable and fast (don't want to lose any lathe time!) 5 Grand seems like a lot but maybe I should listen to you guys about that "replacement every couple of years" factor.

Thanks!

Karl Laustrup
10-08-2005, 7:12 AM
.... Ernie, Your headed in the right direction. It use to take me 4 ½ hours to cut the grass. Now it takes about an hour and twenty minutes, taking my time, and have done it in less than an hour. The lawn looks a lot better, the cut is super, not to mention a whole lot less ware and tear on me. I consider it a long term investment. I would rather pay a little more now than to be replacing every couple of years. That seems to be the trend rather than the acception these days. And with a commercial machine the best part is you have a substantially built and reliable mower. And if you can swing a diesel, and you take care of it, you most likely wont buy another mower for the rest of your life not to mention the fuel savings. I'll send you a PM.

.... Good luck on your choice ;).

Boyd

Where did you get that picture of Jim B. on his Kubota, Boyd? Cool hat.

I have looked at the ZT type mowers also and even used one on my lawn once as a demo. It only saved me about 15 minutes over my JD 345 with 54" deck. Besides my JD plows or throws snow in the winter, cultivates the garden in the spring and general hauling of stuff. I've had it since October 1994 [11 years this month] with only one trip to the JD dealer for a 500 hour tune up. I need an all purpose tractor. My $1.398 cents worth.

Karl

Boyd Gathwright
10-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Hello Karl,

.... That is not a pic of Jim B.:eek: but me :) on my Kubota mowing around our garden area this past spring. My wife hates that hat, but it sure shades from the sun 360 degrees around. I presently am looking for another one to replace it :cool:.

Boyd

Where did you get that picture of Jim B. on his Kubota, Boyd? Cool hat.

I have looked at the ZT type mowers also and even used one on my lawn once as a demo. It only saved me about 15 minutes over my JD 345 with 54" deck. Besides my JD plows or throws snow in the winter, cultivates the garden in the spring and general hauling of stuff. I've had it since October 1994 [11 years this month] with only one trip to the JD dealer for a 500 hour tune up. I need an all purpose tractor. My $1.398 cents worth.

Karl

Jim Becker
10-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Z-turn mowers are really a great way to maintain a lawn. If my property was larger and I needed my tractor to be equally larger, I'd opt for the Z-turn for mowing over the 60" deck on my present Kubota.

Ken Garlock
10-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Ernie, before you get out the checkbook, take a look at the Scag ZTR. While you are at it, notice the mower the large companies are using to maintain their large grassy areas. Most likely it will be orange, and orange mowers are Scag mowers. It is the last mower you will ever have to buy :cool:

They are commerical mowers built to be used at least 8 hours a day. The only down side is that they start at $6K plus and go as high as $11K. I bought mine in the early spring for $1K off list. It is only the small 48" cut, 19 Hp model. It takes me about 1.25 hours to mow my front yard of 2 acres plus of Johnson grass. It would be less, but it is reclaimed pasture land that is mainly ruts. :eek: Scag claims that you can mow at about 6 Mph on good turf.

What ever you might buy, make sure it is a ZTR. It is fun to mow a circle around an electric pole. :)

Jim Becker
10-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Ken, the Kubota ZTR is priced similarly to the Scag...and they are also orange... ;)

Ernie Nyvall
10-08-2005, 12:05 PM
You sure got me thinkin' Ernie! Right now I don't have a lawn worthy of such a machine, but next spring we'll be moving to larger digs with 4 acres to mow. I want it to be a park atmosphere so I'm gonna need something reliable and fast (don't want to lose any lathe time!) 5 Grand seems like a lot but maybe I should listen to you guys about that "replacement every couple of years" factor.

Thanks!
John, I haven't had the quality of garden tractor that Karl writes of , but I'd have to challenge Karl to a lawn cutting duel, on my yard anyway. There are many obstacles here to go around. With the type machine I'm on, there is no shifting for going faster or in reverse. The steering handles push forward for faster and pull towards you for reverse, but I never had to go in reverse. I came to a tree and made a circle around it in one pass with about 2" to weed eat. The blade tip speed runs about 8000 rpm faster on a commercial unit. I have a 50 Hp farm tractor for my garden stuff and I like having the two separate machines.

So Karl, I'm ready. Bring on the Green Machine and if you win, I'll send you home with two of the highly sought after water willow trees and maybe throw in a couple of chinese tallows. :D I'll give you four of each if I win. ;)

Ernie

Brian Hale
10-08-2005, 3:23 PM
We picked up a Scag about 4 years ago and i've had no regrets since. We've got about 3 acres of grass (OK, weeds but they're all green when cut ;) ) and i takes me about 2 hours, a bit less if i'm in a hurry. It's the 23hp 52" deck.

I'd suggest you get a deck that's a bit wider then the track of the drive wheels so it's easier to blow past trees and such at 6+mph :cool: . Be aware that ZTR's are not the best on steep hills as the front wheels tend to head for the bottom whenever they can and the traction gets a bit loose. I start at the bottom and work my way up.
Brian :)

Karl Laustrup
10-08-2005, 3:31 PM
So Karl, I'm ready. Bring on the Green Machine and if you win, I'll send you home with two of the highly sought after water willow trees and maybe throw in a couple of chinese tallows. :D I'll give you four of each if I win. ;)

Ernie

Such a deal you're giving me. :rolleyes: :D But I'm dissapointed that you wouldn't throw in some Schlamaca. :D

Karl

Ken Garlock
10-08-2005, 4:11 PM
Ken, the Kubota ZTR is priced similarly to the Scag...and they are also orange... ;)

Do they say Tiger on the back panel/bumper that protects the engine? :D

Jim Becker
10-08-2005, 4:22 PM
Do they say Tiger on the back panel/bumper that protects the engine?

'Don't know...But I guess they could say anything you'd like with the right lettering job!! :p

Charles McKinley
10-08-2005, 9:04 PM
Here is a link to a thread on mowers from a while ago.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18543&page=1&pp=15&highlight=dixie+chopper

Keith Outten
10-08-2005, 11:20 PM
I sure would like to get in on the race, I have one of the big black ZTR's with a 72" deck and it mows 6 acres in two hours every week. I don't think I can afford the gas prices to get to Texas for race day, maybe we could meet somewhere in the middle :)

Ernie Nyvall
10-09-2005, 12:52 AM
I sure would like to get in on the race, I have one of the big black ZTR's with a 72" deck and it mows 6 acres in two hours every week. I don't think I can afford the gas prices to get to Texas for race day, maybe we could meet somewhere in the middle :)

Oh no, the race has to take place here. Your 72" mower couldn't get between my trees and bushes and you'd have to get out your weed eater. :D See, I'd win again!!! :p

Karl Laustrup
10-09-2005, 7:05 AM

May I suggest Peshtigo this January 2006! That way everone has to travel.

Karl

John Hart
10-09-2005, 7:18 AM
May I suggest Peshtigo this January 2006! That way everone has to travel. Karl

Lets see....hmmmm...Lawn Mowers....Wisconsin in January.... Y'all are gonna need chains!!! Can I bring my push mower?:rolleyes:

Karl Laustrup
10-09-2005, 8:30 AM
Lets see....hmmmm...Lawn Mowers....Wisconsin in January.... Y'all are gonna need chains!!! Can I bring my push mower?:rolleyes:

You betcha, John. The more the merrier. Bring some schlamaca.

I should have the advantage as I'll have the snow thrower on the front as well as the deck. If I can't beat 'em I'll bury them.:p ;) :D

Karl

Leo Hill
10-11-2005, 1:09 PM
for everyone with more grass than can be mowed in 30 minutes with a push mower. Goats. :D

Donnie Raines
10-11-2005, 3:27 PM
The majority of "pros" around here are useing the Exmark. See them every where....for me and my yard it is a lowly Cubby....:rolleyes:

Jeff Sudmeier
10-11-2005, 4:24 PM
I have used both the front deck and the deck under you models. Personally I like the under deck models for trimming around trees, etc. The Deck out front models are great for getting under things.

The best thing to do, to cut mowing time is to landscape your lawn in such a way that there is no hand trimming. Put mulch rings around all the trees, etc.

Guy Germaine
10-11-2005, 4:37 PM
I have a Cub Cadet Commercial 54" ZT mower. I have 3 acres of my own, and my in-laws have 4 acres. I cut my 3 acres, which includes an area by the lake, in 1 hour and 10 minutes. That went from about 3.5 hours with my old Craftsman 42" mower. I cut my in-laws 4 acres in 2 hours. I am very satisfied with this Cub Cadet. I paid $6000 for it brand new. If I ever get another one, it will be the Scag. Scag makes the Turf Tiger, which in my opinion is what all other ZT mowers should be judged against. they're a little pricey though. When I looked 3 years ago, they were in the $8200 neighborhood. If you do get something like this, do youself a favor and get a "commercial" mower. Don't scrimp on enything less. You'll kick youself later.

Ed Breen
10-11-2005, 5:42 PM
Ernie,
I've got a kubota tractor from which I've removed the belly mower and attached a 60" lawn pride fini9sh mower. I also keep a 6' JD brush hog for the ford 8n
i ALSO KEEP A SMALL ELECTRIC FOR AROUND THE HOUSE.
eD

Jim Poelstra
10-11-2005, 8:49 PM
This is what I use.......

Ernie Nyvall
10-11-2005, 9:56 PM
Jeff, that's a good idea with the mulch and I'm headed in that direction.

I've thought about a finish mower behind my tractor, but there are too many places I can't get under with it and I don't want to go back with a mower to finish it.

The eXmark I am on is a pretty good mower and is a commercial one. After I mowed it the first time, on the highest setting (the field was a foot tall), I went back and mowed the whole five acres again 4 levels lower. There are a little over two acres that still have rows from an old bean field and even with that, it only took 3 hrs. I've definately got to disc most of those rows flat though... it was a rough and slow ride. Some I will leave for about a
3/4 acre vegie garden.

I am still looking around though... I got too excited too quick riding that thing and need to sit back and look around.

Thanks to everyone for your imput. I'm glad I posted my adventures in grass cutting. I had no idea there were so many companies and styles to choose from and you all have given valuable information.

Ernie

Ernie Nyvall
10-11-2005, 10:07 PM
for everyone with more grass than can be mowed in 30 minutes with a push mower. Goats. :D

That's funny you mention goats Leo for I actually thought about that... I really hate to mow. Goats don't eat grass though, however they are weed eaters. Sheep eat grass, but all the way down to the roots, and besides, I have some neighbors down the road whom I'm sure look at sheep as distant cousins to humans. I'd be afraid to leave them alone.

Ernie

Boyd Gathwright
10-14-2005, 2:35 AM
.... My next high speed all purpose diesel mower .

:)

Leo Hill
10-14-2005, 6:28 AM
That's funny you mention goats Leo for I actually thought about that... I really hate to mow. Goats don't eat grass though, however they are weed eaters. Sheep eat grass, but all the way down to the roots, and besides, I have some neighbors down the road whom I'm sure look at sheep as distant cousins to humans. I'd be afraid to leave them alone.

Ernie
Ernie, I used to have neighbors like that too. :eek: But in all candor, when we moved here to San Antonio we went out and bought a self-propelled Honda mower - a real nice one! It didn't take but a few times of mowing the grass in the 100° heat and 80% humidity to figure out that this sort of activity in July and August wasn't the smartest thing that I could do.

The neighbor has a yard service every two weeks and the first time they asked if I wanted them to do my yard I said no. It wasn't but a couple more times of guiding the Honda around the yard that I decided that that $20 a week for bi-weekly lawn care wasn't a bad deal at all. So every other Monday I write a check, put it inside the BBQ and go to work. I come home and the yard looks nice. What a deal! YMMV and all that.

But before coming here I had to mow a LARGE yard and I had a John Deere yard tractor for the stuff close to the house and a Kubota with a 5' brush hog for the stuff further away from the house. It was nice when the kids were old enough and mature enough to ride the John Deere instead of me. ;)

Leo

Christopher Stahl
10-24-2005, 12:49 AM
Ernie,
I have an eXmark Lazer Z HP 23HP with a 52" deck that I mow .75 acres with. I just bought it last year and it's been awesome. You'll find some people like Scag, some like eXmark and some like brand X. I personally liked the eXmark best when I was shopping and most pros around here use them.

Check your area and see what the Pros are using. The best you can do though is buy a commercial model, they'll last forever. You'll also appreciate the quality of the cut, it's beautiful.

Although, if the one you are looking at costs 5k, it must be the CT model. I would recommend against that model since it's eXmark's entry model and is more residential than commercial. I would recommend bumping up to at least the HP. Since it will be the last mower you will ever buy, the extra money will be worth it.

For those that are talking about winter time and using a JD tractor/mower, there is an option to add a snow thrower to an eXmark and it's a beast. :)

chris

Ernie Nyvall
10-24-2005, 9:12 PM
Ernie,
I have an eXmark Lazer Z HP 23HP with a 52" deck that I mow .75 acres with. I just bought it last year and it's been awesome. You'll find some people like Scag, some like eXmark and some like brand X. I personally liked the eXmark best when I was shopping and most pros around here use them.

Check your area and see what the Pros are using. The best you can do though is buy a commercial model, they'll last forever. You'll also appreciate the quality of the cut, it's beautiful.

Although, if the one you are looking at costs 5k, it must be the CT model. I would recommend against that model since it's eXmark's entry model and is more residential than commercial. I would recommend bumping up to at least the HP. Since it will be the last mower you will ever buy, the extra money will be worth it.

For those that are talking about winter time and using a JD tractor/mower, there is an option to add a snow thrower to an eXmark and it's a beast. :)

chris

Thanks Chris. I was going to wait a while and look around some more, but it just so happened that my neighbor/dealer needed some tools and I had some that I had upgraded from. We made a good deal. Also, all the schools around here use the eXmark and the closest dealer of a different mower is a good distance down the road.

I did go with the Lazer Z. 48" is as wide of a mower as I can get between the stuff in the yard, so I got that and 19hp kawasaki.

I can't believe the difference in the one hp over the other one, but it is substantial. It mowed at full speed where I could go full speed. I've got some discing to do to some old bean rows.:rolleyes:

Over the lawn tractors I've had, it's unbelievable. It used 1/3 the amount of gasoline. I mowed a field that I wouldn't attempt with the lawn tractor and did it faster than with my 6' brush hog.

Yea, I guess it'll do.:D

Ernie

Boyd Gathwright
10-24-2005, 10:35 PM
.... How about some pics, Ernie ;).

Thanks Chris. I was going to wait a while and look around some more, but it just so happened that my neighbor/dealer needed some tools and I had some that I had upgraded from. We made a good deal. Also, all the schools around here use the eXmark and the closest dealer of a different mower is a good distance down the road.

I did go with the Lazer Z. 48" is as wide of a mower as I can get between the stuff in the yard, so I got that and 19hp kawasaki.

I can't believe the difference in the one hp over the other one, but it is substantial. It mowed at full speed where I could go full speed. I've got some discing to do to some old bean rows.:rolleyes:

Over the lawn tractors I've had, it's unbelievable. It used 1/3 the amount of gasoline. I mowed a field that I wouldn't attempt with the lawn tractor and did it faster than with my 6' brush hog.

Yea, I guess it'll do.:D

Ernie

Christopher Stahl
10-25-2005, 10:12 PM
Ernie,
Enjoy!!! It's worth the money.

chris