PDA

View Full Version : Jet JJP 12 Casters

Paul Richard
12-03-2016, 9:21 PM
Hi All,

I have a JJP 12 that I'm using more and more now and have a need to move it around when jointing/planing boards more than 4' long. While I don't do much of that, I am planning on doing some of it in the relative near future and will need to move the machine into a more open spot in my shop to handle the material. I see that some folks used Great Lakes LV1710NPYSM12-1 casters. I found them at Caster Depot but want to know if anyone that has done it attached them directly to the tabs at the bottom of the legs, or if they ran a 2x4 along the two front legs and attached the caster to the 2x4. I saw a post from Brian LaShomb that looked like he attached them directly to the tabs, which I like, but from the pics I have of the caster there is no shaft. Do I need to add some threaded rod?

@Brian, did the tabs bend over time? (apologies for calling you out here, I have some permissions problem that doesn't let me send personal messages - not sure that why)

For anyone that has done this, it'd be great if you could share a pic or two and the process you used. I can manage getting the machine tipped enough to get under it safely, I'm just not sure what method to use to attach them.

Thanks for any feedback!

Regards,
Paul

Paul Richard
12-04-2016, 9:17 PM
Bump...

Can anyone help? Must be some JJP-12 owners out there that did the caster thing.

Thanks!

Art Mann
12-04-2016, 9:53 PM
I used the Grizzly Mobile base model D2058A on my JJP-12HH. It is more than heavy enough for the job. It takes some effort to roll it.

Marc Burt
12-04-2016, 10:26 PM
I have mine on a portamate PM-2500 base and have no complaints. Lifted it off the pallet and dropped it into the base.

I assume you're wanting the casters to maintain the same footprint vs a mobile base?

Paul Richard
12-04-2016, 11:21 PM
Thanks guys!

To answer Marc's question, I'm just looking for something that I can use reliably that will allow me to move the machine around. I like the idea of casters only because it looks simple, neat, and appears to allow a bit of leveling (where it sits the floor has a crack -- basement -- and I have one leg shimmed a bit to keep it from rocking ever so slightly).

I'm not going to move it all that often and won't do it from the tables, I'll do it from the base to minimize messing up the calibration. I did read somewhere though that if it's not very, very stable where it sits that the frame will warp and with it will go the calibration.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

- Paul

Matthew Bradburn
12-05-2016, 1:34 AM
I had Great Lakes casters on mine -- don't remember what model #, sorry. It's been a while. I think I bought studs to screw into the casters with an allen wrench, then put a nut on top. The sheet metal tabs in the base bent after a while, which led the caster to be angled such that the pad would rub the floor as I tried to move the machine. So I put the machine on a heavy-duty rolling base, which is working much better.