PDA

View Full Version : Decorating elf questions

Brian Brown
12-03-2016, 6:12 PM
Does anyone own a Henry Taylor decorating elf, or have you used one?

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/49/5598/Henry-Taylor-Decorating-Elf-Complete-System-6-Piece-Set?term=texturing+tools

What do you think? I am trying to find a texturing tool that creates a random texture, but everything I have seen creates a pattern. This one looks like I can make a series of cuts at different angles, heights, and presentation directions, and maybe a combo platter of cuts will give a more random look. Some of the projects I have on the drawing table require that I cut about 60% air, and I worry that because you have to press so hard with this tool, it will cause serious problems.Do you have any other recommendations for texturing tools? I might be able to make my own, but have limited resources for most materials to do so. Any help would be appreciated.

Bob Vavricka
12-03-2016, 7:14 PM
Brian,
I have a decorating elf and it makes a consistent pattern as do most texturing tools that I am aware of. Not aware of one that makes a random pattern. Will be following this thread to see what other answers you get.

John Keeton
12-04-2016, 7:33 AM
I doubt any texturing tool is going to work, or be safe when turning pieces with "air." I texture a lot with a Sorby tool and the Wagner tool, and my gut tells me not to attempt it on anything less than a solid piece. I can't see how a chatter tool would be any different.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I would prefer someone else try it first!

CHARLES D Richards
12-04-2016, 7:34 AM
Brian,
You may know this already but Highland Hardware has a kit to make your own tool like the elf. Using most of the texturing tools I have I get some variation in patterns by experimenting with the tool rest below or above center. In other words, the pattern may be different at center height than it is 1/2 below center.

Brian Brown
12-04-2016, 7:09 PM
John,

I assumed that texturing air would be a problem. I don't want to be the "someone else to try it first". :eek: I have an idea of how to remove the air with some sacrificial spacers. I think they will make the process much easier. Thanks for your response.

Brian Brown
12-04-2016, 7:13 PM
Charles,

I checked out the kit you mentioned. It looks as if it would save me about $25 over ordering the Elf. Might be worth the time to assemble it. Thank you.

Marvin Hasenak
12-04-2016, 8:53 PM
Years ago I made something similar. I based the "guts" on a live center, the burrs I used had 1/4" shanks. For the "guts" I used a magnet, a thrust bearing on it, and 2 bearings with a 1/4" inside diameter. The magnet kept the but in side of the handle, the thrust bearing helped it self rotate and the 2 stacked 1/4" bearings kept it aligned. Best I can remember I used hardwood for the bearing holder. Epoxied the thrust bearing and magnet in place and force fit the R188 mini bearings.

Mine was NOT made as a texture chisel, it was to rough up the inside of PVC pipe for gluing, but it did make a pretty neat pattern. I also used the same bearing set up with 2MT threaded arbors to make custom live centers.

Tom Wilson66
12-04-2016, 9:14 PM
Personally, to get a texture on a piece with lots of voids, I would use carving tools. That would be a lot safer than any of the texturing tools I have seen. The pattern would also be a truly random pattern. You could also try to texture it with pyrographic tools.