PDA

View Full Version : Voccell DLS?

Dan Hollis
12-03-2016, 5:56 PM
Voccell looks like the new kid on the block, anyone have experience with them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHKH1OhF5NY
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/722439927/voccell-dls-complete-laser-cutter-and-engraver-sys

Looks like an impressive package for $3499.

they compare themselves against glowforge and FS:
https://voccell.com/wp/comparisons/

Bert Kemp
12-03-2016, 7:47 PM
oh yea ok I'll jump right in with 4k and wait 3 years for this one with all the other morons

Dan Hollis
12-03-2016, 7:54 PM
oh yea ok I'll jump right in with 4k and wait 3 years for this one with all the other morons

it's shipping now and people have already got theirs.

Dan Hollis
12-03-2016, 8:21 PM
found a review on reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/lasercutting/comments/4zme7s/my_experience_with_a_voccell_dls_so_far/

looks like some people who cancelled their glowforge orders went ahead and got a voccell dls.

Kev Williams
12-03-2016, 11:27 PM
I just put the photo of it in Corel and made it full-size to check a few things :)

In my honest opinion, this thing is pretty cheesy. It LOOKS reasonably beefy at first glance, and it's actually pretty big, it's bigger than my old ULS, but only in the X-Y dimensions. The table has a max drop of 2.75" from it's current placement in the photo, and appears to be about 1-1/2" or so below the 2" focus distance, which means roughly a 4-1/2" Z depth max. My BIL engraves wood boxes almost exclusively at home, most of them are 5-6" tall, so this thing would be of no use to him.

No rotary. >edit< so maybe there will be a rotary... found this by reading the reviews...

Don't care for the 400mm/sec max speed either..

My biggest scare is the gantry setup. Every machine I've owned has substantial side walls with 2" or wider top edges that the Y rails are securely bolted to...

---The entire gantry setup in this thing appears to be freestanding, made from 1-1/4" alum. extrusions, including the 4 legs that, unless I'm missing something, appear to support the whole thing. Maybe it's tied to the sides somewhere, but I don't see it...? The table lead-screws also tie things together and may help, but honestly, it looks like if you accidentally smack one of those legs (or any other part of the framework) with anything heavier than a can of beef stew, the whole thing could be easily be knocked out of square...

Better than a Glowforge simply because it probably works, but $4499 for the 70 watt version is a bit thick, and from what I can tell by their wording, shipping costs are not included...

My 80 watt 1300x900 Triumph, which is a monster in every way compared to this machine, only cost $4800 to my door all in. Pretty good bang for my laser buck, IMO...

That's my critique, take it for what it's worth... :D

Scott Marquez
12-03-2016, 11:57 PM
---The entire gantry setup in this thing appears to be freestanding, made from 1-1/4" alum. extrusions, including the 4 legs that, unless I'm missing something, appear to support the whole thing. Maybe it's tied to the sides somewhere, but I don't see it...? The table lead-screws also tie things together and may help, but honestly, it looks like if you accidentally smack one of those legs (or any other part of the framework) with anything heavier than a can of beef stew, the whole thing could be easily be knocked out of square.
This is the first thing that I noticed, I have seen some really poorly designed machines using these extruded members. It's basically a gantry system inside of a steel shell, if this thing gets out of square, it will never cut worth a darn, I'll take my Rabbit laser any day.
Scott

Dan Hollis
12-04-2016, 5:52 PM
This is the first thing that I noticed, I have seen some really poorly designed machines using these extruded members. It's basically a gantry system inside of a steel shell, if this thing gets out of square, it will never cut worth a darn, I'll take my Rabbit laser any day.
Scott

For $2400 more expensive I would certainly hope the rabbit would be a better laser.

Bert Kemp
12-04-2016, 6:07 PM
the rabbit is twice the size so 2400 more is not a big deal, plus you get delivery and training on the rabbit. I have the same size as the voccell and paid about the same price.

For $2400 more expensive I would certainly hope the rabbit would be a better laser.

Bill George
12-04-2016, 6:10 PM
The Rabbit uses existing technology that works, no product development needed. If you want to buy a machine that works.... and makes you money out of the box that is what you buy.

BTW there was a posting elsewhere on Sawmill Creek, that LightObject dot com has a new machine out that looks strangely ( cue Twilight Zone music) like the Glowforge.

Bert Kemp
12-04-2016, 6:21 PM
you mean this one?348844

Ross Moshinsky
12-04-2016, 8:12 PM
I swear these people coming up with these lasers have never operated a mainstream laser. Primarily two things hold Chinese lasers back.

1. They're slow at engraving. 20ips vs 80-140ips is a huge difference. If you're going to waste your time, you might as well try to improve the product.

2. The software leaves a lot to be desired. Develop a WYSIWYE print driver comparable to the western machines and you have something to sell.

Glowforge's popularity was built on marketing buzz but at the end of the day they sold people because the price was right and the experience was marketed as very easy and user friendly. If you can improve the user's experience by coming up with a better GUI/print driver, it's an absolutely marketable product. Not only is it marketable, but it's highly profitable. Whatever board you may need to develop will be less than $50 to produce (assuming you can piggyback on whatever is already existing) and the software is essentially free to distribute (how much would hosting really cost?).

I just don't get why people haven't seen this as a true market to tap into. FSL built their entire company on this model.

Scott Marquez
12-04-2016, 9:06 PM
Dan, I'm not trying to rain on your parade I'm just being up front. A gantry framework of this style is consistent with a $200.00 EBay laser. If that is the only thing in your price range then just beware of its shortcomings.
Scott

Chris Hebb
12-04-2016, 11:50 PM
Case does look like g.weike Storm 600 as noted in this thread (voccell discussion starts at post #6):
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?244122-Question-about-adjusting-files-for-laser-width
They also claim American optics if that's worth anything. Is it?

Kev Williams
12-05-2016, 2:12 AM
...They also claim American optics if that's worth anything. Is it?
The 20 year old lens in my old ULS looks better than any of my 7 Chinese lenses of 3 years or less. The almost 13 year old lens in my LS900 is nearly flawless. Whether they WORK better than the Chinese lenses, I'm not sure, but I did try an eastern lens in the LS900 once, and it engraved quite nice actually. But the eastern's simply do not hold up like the 'good' ones.