PDA

View Full Version : New job. What is wrong with me?

Gary Herrmann
10-07-2005, 8:41 PM
I've been a consultant most of my life. First job out of school. First perm job, I was an internal consultant. I think all but 2 years (at most) of my career, I've been a consultant of one kind or another.

I just quit a well paying, easy job with 4 weeks+ of vacation - after 4 months to go back to consulting. Why? Because I was bored. Not challenged. Not learning anything new and probably wouldn't for quite awhile. But I could leave whenever I wanted. Work at home. Nobody looking over my shoulder. I got kudos just for knowing how a project was going when asked.

I start at a consultancy on Oct 17. Supposedly no travel (I really hope so - I promised my wife). Not much difference in salary. Less vacation. And I'm looking forward to it. I had a tremendous feeling of relief when I accepted the offer.

There are so many people that just go to work every day, put their head down, do their job and go home. Why can't I do that? I'd say it was a midlife crisis - I turned 40 this summer, but I've been like this since I was 23.

I don't want to work 80 hours a week anymore. I don't want to work more than 50. I have a 5 yr old son that I want to spend time with, and I'd also like to get some shop time in once in awhile. Its hard to find a middle ground in consulting, but I'm going to try. And if I can't do it, I'll find another perm job and just put my head down. Even if I have to glue my forehead to my desk.

This isn't a judgement of people that have perm jobs. I think I'm just railing against my own nature. I worked for myself for a couple years, and I wound up working all the time, so I don't want to do that again. I want to get some balance in my life. I want to work to live, not live to work.

And I hope to be able to teach my son the joy of sawdust.

Mark Singer
10-07-2005, 9:01 PM
You should do what interests and challemges you! Life is too short to spend that much time just getting a pay check. Use your potential to the fullest...you will sleep better and set a better example for your son. Balance is a great word....living is an art we should all learn to practice... You do a little of this to enjoy a little of that...maybe you enjoy them both....maybe you don't? This is the true art...living . You did the correct thing ...do the kind of work you love...then it is no longer work. Yeah I keep saying the same thing.:confused:

John Hart
10-07-2005, 9:32 PM
Garry,

You appear to have mastered consultancy so you have attained a level of security where you feel comfortable. Most folks feel uneasy with the uncertainty. I tip my hat to you for being able to do it for nearly 20 years. My brother is the same way. And I agree wholeheartedly with Mark...If you love it, do it. You obviously do it well.

Jim Becker
10-07-2005, 9:32 PM
Trust me, I understand...which is why I love the fact that the first two words of my title are "Sr. Consultant" even though it's a "permanent" job. :) Every day is different...

Ken Fitzgerald
10-07-2005, 10:20 PM
In life, what's right for one isn't necessarily right for another. Live by your heart, you'll enjoy life more.

Andy Hoyt
10-07-2005, 10:48 PM
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. - Thoreau

Norman Hitt
10-08-2005, 9:26 PM
You did it RIGHT, Gary. Boredom at work is the worst kind of Boredom because you spend so much time at it. I'm the same way about the "Same Ole, Same Ole". I've had jobs that I absolutely Hated to go to work at each day, but fortunitely, most of my working years was Flying, and I can truly say that I NEVER had a day that I wasn't eager to go to work, (even after a hard and challenging one). I even searched out the Flying jobs that weren't routine to the same old destinations all the time. I loved being on Standby when I was with an International Charter Airline for a few years, because It always intrigued me that I never knew what part of the world I would be in, in the next 8 or 12 or 24 hours, or what interesting challenges there would be to get there.

This pattern definitely isn't for everyone, but for those of us that are this way, a routine, non challenging job is a real mind Killer, and that, in turn, will kill the body prematurely.

Good Luck in your new endeavor, I know you will do well.