PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a newcomer (and a Brit)

Frank Corker
10-07-2005, 8:16 PM
Hi, this is my first post and whilst taking the opportunity to introduce myself, I have a question (or two). I am in the process of buying my first Laser Engraver - the Epilog Legend 24TT 45W. Having read countless pages (and pages) of articles, this would appear to be a good investment. The machine is secondhand and allegedly only used for approximately 100 hrs.

My first question for any of you masters out there. Engraving glassware. On sheet glass, or any come to that, is it necessary to 'coat' it with anything as you do Cermark with steel and brass?

Secondly. As I have yet to take delivery (probably about another 7 days) does anyone have a manual in PDF format (or readable on computer) that I might be able to download on that particular model, in order that I can get cracking on figuring out how to use it?

Third and last (for now). Has anyone had any major disasters that I should be aware about before plugging the thing in?

Thank you for your time, I just love this site, very informative and extremely friendly.

Frank

Kate Raap
10-08-2005, 2:16 AM
Well I noticed that no one has posted to you yet, but they will. Welcome... People here are great to ask questions to and get answers. There is always a bit of input for every topic.
As for glass engraving with a laser: No you dont' have to put anything on it, just engrave away. On sheets of glass I engrave it slower than I do glassware. Usually my sheets are thinner so I dont' want them to get too much heat, plus I notice a bit of difference in quality this way. For example on glassware I engrave at 75 power and 60 speed. For sheet glass I use 25 power and 26 speed. I do have a 100 watt machine though so I'm sure my settings will vary from yours. I also use a universal so that will be a bit different.
And nope I haven't ever had a major disaster, been pretty lucky there.
For a head start why don't you check out the epilog website. I have actually gone there a few times, might get you in the right direction. They also have a sample club type thing that they give you ideas to try, excellent way to get started on ideas.
If you have any other questions about specific things let me know hopefully I can help.
WELCOME to the wonderful world of lasers, have fun and be safe! Experiment!

Frank Corker
10-08-2005, 3:08 AM
Thanks Kate. I have tried the Epilog website but the model I am getting doesn't seem to be in production any longer. I will check out the sample site, I appreciate your reply

Keith Outten
10-08-2005, 7:00 AM
Frank,

I can't help you with the manual for your engraver but there are a few tecniques that engravers use for glass. Try using wet newspaper on one side of a test piece, the difference between the two sides is significant. Some will wet the newspaper with dishwashing detergent as it doesn't dry out as fast as water. Some engravers just use dishwashing detergent to coat the glass.

Frank Corker
10-08-2005, 3:15 PM
Try using wet newspaper on one side of a test piece, the difference between the two sides is significant

... okay (told you not much up there yet) the wet newspaper is put where the laser beam hits (not at the back) I assume this is to keep it cool. Is this why I have seen mention of a backing tape being put on the acrylic sheets too then?

Thanks again

Joe Pelonio
10-09-2005, 4:16 PM
I have had that same machine for 18 months now. Their new ones that replace it have a really cool internal vacuum table using the air exhaust. There is one thing to watch out for, that they should have prevented electronically. When
you are cutting a bunch of stuff one thickness then switch to something thicker be sure to lower the table, or it will damage the auto focus plunger or send it into the vector grid and get stuck that way. I do not know of any pdf or other eclectronic form for the manual, and don't have time to copy the whole thing
for you (sorry, 176 pages) but here's the most important parts: http://members.aol.com/bisjoe/epilog.pdf

If you need a specific part or and can't find it elseware let me know and I'll try to scan more for you. Send a private message or e-mail me to joe@bellevuesign.com. You might also try asking their tech support people if they can sell you a paper manual.

Frank Corker
10-09-2005, 7:29 PM
Joe,

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. :)