PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Lamps~Long but with PIX

Karl Laustrup
10-07-2005, 7:24 PM
After posting a pic of one of the lamps I built last year [before I was a member here] in Jason's desk thread, Mr. Becker requested I post a separate thread with the details of the lamp[s].

So, get a cup of coffee, or other strong beverage to keep you awake whilst I bore you to tears. :eek:

I did use plans [which I modified] for the pyramid lamps, but I can't find the plans at this time. The square lamp was just something that I figured I'd do cause I had more cherry already cut and I figured I couldn't screw up a basic square too bad. :D The wood by the way is harvested from my property.

The small pyramid lamp is about 18" tall [without the shade], the large pyramid lamp is 31" tall without the shade and the square lamp is about 19" tall. Man I didn't realize how expensive lamp shades are. :eek:

The fun part came in cutting the four panels with 45* miters for the pyramid lamps and then cutting the top and bottom so they don't lean. I never did get it exactly right so the small lamp tilts to the back like that tower in Pisa if you look at it from the side. It isn't too bad, but the first one now sits in the shop as a reminder to make a mock up first using cheaper wood.

The glue up was pretty fun too, looking back on it. At the time I was too dumb to realize that this is supposed to be difficult, especially with just a few small clamps. I also, was to naive to realize about matching grains, although at the time I was having enough trouble with the compound angles involved in cutting the panels.

The lamp kits are from the local BORG and they are junk. I think I'm going to replace them with Rockler kits. Fishing the wire through the tall lamp was extremely fun as I didn't think of using a coat hanger or anything to get it through the tiny hole up top. :o

Each of the lamps is finished with 3 coats of tung oil followed by 3 coats of hand rubbed paste wax. Of course 0000 steel wool in between.

While they have flaws, I'm quite proud of them and they were quite challenging for my little pea brain. :o

Pic #1 Small Lamp
Pic #2 Large Lamp Front
Pic #3 Large Lamp Rt. Side
Pic #4 Square Lamp

Thanks for looking. :)

Karl

Karl Laustrup
10-07-2005, 7:29 PM
Here's a couple more pix of the lamps, just in case your not totally bored yet.

Pix 1 & 2 Square and Tall Lamp
Left side of Square Lamp

It was really hard deciding which panel would face front.

Thanks again,

Karl

P.S. Picture taking skills need some honing also.:o

Jim O'Dell
10-07-2005, 7:30 PM
I must have missed these on the other thread. I LIKE them!! I am really drawn to the simple lines of things. Too much complication, while I may admire the skill it took to do the work, is not generally to my liking. I can certainly see why Jim B. prompted you to post the pictures. Beautiful! Jim.

Dennis Collins
10-07-2005, 7:34 PM
I really like the finish on all the lamps and especially the pyramid shape lamp. How did you cut the 45 degree angle on a tapered pieces of wood. Use a jig? I can see me trying this and starting with a 20" tall by 6" square plan and ending up with a 5" tall 2" square lamp. Nice work.

Michael Stafford
10-07-2005, 8:36 PM
I really like the looks of the one shaped like an obelisk, the tapered one. The grain is particularly attractive in that one. Nice job, Karl! :)

Mark Singer
10-07-2005, 9:02 PM
Karl,

Very nice design and great execution!

Jim Becker
10-07-2005, 9:15 PM
Karl, they are great. I'm particularly interested in learning more about cutting the bevels on the tapered lamp...that's the one I'd like to make one or three of!

Karl Laustrup
10-07-2005, 10:36 PM
Thank you all for the ego boost. :) :D

Jim, I will look further for the plans I used and post or send them to you. Unfortunately my memory won't let me remember how to do those angles. Or maybe my brain doesn't want me to remember? :confused: :rolleyes:

Again, thanks from this beginner. :o :)

Karl

Dan Larson
10-07-2005, 10:55 PM
Karl, I'm with Jim on this one-- I like the tapered lamps the best. They're all really nice, though!

You mentioned that the cherry was from your property. How much of the harvesting did you do yourself? I'd be curious to hear about this early part of your lamp project, too.

Dan

John Miliunas
10-07-2005, 11:16 PM
OK, now you did it! I've been there a couple times and don't remember being shown those particular pieces!!!:mad: You're in BIG trouble now, buddy! :mad: End of rant. :) Very nice job, Karl and I too would be very interested in the method for doing those ripped miters at that angle! Well done, my friend. And nothing finer than some great looking Cherry, too! You'll need to let me check them out the next time I'm out your way!:) :cool:

Jules Dominguez
10-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Beautiful wood and beautiful work, Karl! The lamps will be forever nice to look at. I agree with getting better hardware, to match the quality of the wood and woodworking.

Jason Tuinstra
10-08-2005, 12:54 AM
Karl,

Hey, I'm glad that you posted these pics so quickly. Very informative and very nice! Did the plans come from Woodsmith? I think I recall, having thought about it this afternoon, that Woodsmith did a cherry lamp like this. I think the joints were cut in an unusual way though. Hmmm.... Either way, your lamps turned out great, and the wood is very beautiful! Must be nice to have access to all that cherry! Thanks again for offering to send them to me, but I think you should keep them in your family :D :) :p Great post, Karl.

Jason Tuinstra
10-08-2005, 1:01 AM
Karl, scratch that on the Woodsmith. I just looked up their online index and I saw that the lamp I was thinking of was a bit different - see below. As the youngsters would say, "My bad!"

Vaughn McMillan
10-08-2005, 3:05 AM
Very nice, Karl. I like them all, but the pyramid lamps are my favorites. I think I can picture one way to do the mitered rips in them...look like I'll have to do a pine experiment. The cherry is also very pretty. Must be nice to get that kind of stuff from your own property.

- Vaughn

Karl Laustrup
10-08-2005, 6:23 AM
I really like the finish on all the lamps and especially the pyramid shape lamp. How did you cut the 45 degree angle on a tapered pieces of wood. Use a jig? I can see me trying this and starting with a 20" tall by 6" square plan and ending up with a 5" tall 2" square lamp. Nice work.

Thanks, Dennis. I've got to find those plans as to how to cut the panels as I can't remember. And yes, the sacrificial "first" try that sits in the garage started out at around 20" tall. I think it's about 14" tall and leans quite nicely at about a 7 or so angle. :o :eek:

Karl

Jay Knoll
10-08-2005, 6:32 AM
Karl

Those are very cool! I like the tapered ones the best and hope that after several cups of coffee you can track down those plans. Oh, by the way, nice stealth gloat on "harvested from my property". :)

Keep up the great work, thanks for the pics

Karl Laustrup
10-08-2005, 6:38 AM
Karl, I'm with Jim on this one-- I like the tapered lamps the best. They're all really nice, though!

You mentioned that the cherry was from your property. How much of the harvesting did you do yourself? I'd be curious to hear about this early part of your lamp project, too.

Dan

Thanks Dan. I had the trees felled by a pro. At the time a cherry, two oaks, a maple and a box elder. These were very mature trees and I'm sure if I had tried at least one would have fallen on, in order, vehicle, house or me. :o :eek: I have a sawyer that lives about 2 miles from me and for about $300 he cut them to a full 1". He charged me by the hour, although he does charge by the board foot also, whichever he feels will be less for the customer. Wish I had gotten some 2", but maybe next time.

Sawing and stacking took about 9 hours on one of the hottest days of August 2003, with LOML and I doing that part. The lumber air dried over the winter [wish I had taken pix of the way I had that set up] and by late March early April moisture was down to an average of 10%. They came inside and were stacked another 3-4 months before use. The sawyer estimated I had about 200 bdft of cherry, oak and box elder and 300 bdft of maple.

All in all quite worth it I think.

Karl

John Hart
10-08-2005, 6:45 AM
The pyramidal shape would go very well in my office....definitely the cherry would go well in my office. I'll send you the address Karl. :) Very nice work!

Karl Laustrup
10-08-2005, 6:46 AM
Karl,

I think the joints were cut in an unusual way though. Hmmm.... Either way, your lamps turned out great, and the wood is very beautiful! Must be nice to have access to all that cherry! Thanks again for offering to send them to me, but I think you should keep them in your family :D :) :p Great post, Karl.

Yes, the joints were done in a way my 58 YO brain cells had trouble with. Well, it wasn't the joints per se, they are 45's but the taper is the hard part.

Yes, it is nice to have my own wood, although it tends to make one a wee bit more wasteful. But, then whatever I build with it gives a special meaning to be able to say "It came from my property and I did most everything with the wood, from standing tree to finished product".

Thanks, and yeah I'll keep them.

Karl

Karl Laustrup
10-08-2005, 6:49 AM
Karl

Those are very cool! I like the tapered ones the best and hope that after several cups of coffee you can track down those plans. Oh, by the way, nice stealth gloat on "harvested from my property". :)

Keep up the great work, thanks for the pics

I will find those plans and let all know the details.

Thanks Jay, but couldn't you harvest one of those palm trees. ;) :eek: :D

Karl

Karl Laustrup
10-08-2005, 6:53 AM
OK, now you did it! I've been there a couple times and don't remember being shown those particular pieces!!!:mad: You're in BIG trouble now, buddy! :mad: End of rant. :) Very nice job, Karl and I too would be very interested in the method for doing those ripped miters at that angle! Well done, my friend. And nothing finer than some great looking Cherry, too! You'll need to let me check them out the next time I'm out your way!:) :cool:

Fifty lashes for me. PLEASE! :eek: :D

Spring, I'll bring one down tomorrow when I come down. I'll bring that 35 gal. drum and plexi too.

Karl