PDA

View Full Version : Ray Fine RF-1390 Arrived!

John Lifer
12-02-2016, 5:40 PM
Well, my machine finally arrived yesterday afternoon. I'll do a good write up of my experience so far a bit later, it might help a few folks. I expect this is all anyone wants to know....

We struggled to get off truck , about a foot narrower than his box, and during shipping they bent up the metal base used as a pallet beneath the box.
Jammed in one side and middle brace was bent up about 8 inches. A bit concerned it might have damages laser, but not that.

I moved using my little tractor and a bunch of furniture movers about 400 feet around towards my basement, went well until wet spot. But I got it finally moved.

Unboxed this morning, and did find a bit of damage - A push in the wrong corner by one of the freight companies did damage
the two plastic connectors on the wiring harness. No damage to wiring thank goodness. (could have hit anywhere else and no issue. just my luck).

Very little packaging.
Shrink wrapped, 1/4" styrofoam sheet on the four sides and top. Bead sheet, not an insulation sheet which might have helped.

I had Ray Fine build to be separated to go thru my 36" doorway. Only one glitch with that that others might not see until damage -
The harness wire from the controller to the user panel IS the only wire I had to unplug between the top and bottom. I see that it isn't long enough to have gone to back and with the rest of the harness.
We noticed just before picking it up and I had to trace and unplug.

We did struggle a bit lifting and moving as I don't have but my wife and daughter as help, but my plan worked pretty well.

Items extremely necessary in my case was a Harbor freight motorcycle jack (best thing I've ever bought from them. used this probably a dozen times lifting things that would otherwise be difficult.)

Second best are the cheap four caster furniture movers. I had 4 that I used to move box around and then took two and screwed together with 2x4 as a long roller. one set for the top and one set for the bottom.
Rolled right into basement (after lifting off top and setting down and then tilting up on back) Just about all I could do to lift, wife helped but minor as she's got bad knees.

Third best are the ratchet straps - not all from HF :-) used to secure the rollers to the parts. and without the top would have been a struggle to keep closed.

Fourth is a hoist I bought a few years ago and since my move to current location not installed. Put it across three floor joists with 1 1/4" tubing and lifted the top and put back on the base once in basement.

Whew, I'm bushed.

Ok, for the other issues so far, all minor.
1. connectors broke, see above, really cosmetic.
2. Main large glass in the top came out. Minor chip, but it didn't break. Got to put back in. Was expecting plastic window, Tempered glass is ok.
3. Inside Light for the machine is probably out of commission. I guess when the glass fell, it took out the fixture. didn't break the fluorescent tube, I'll probably change to LED strip, I've got a bunch of that stuff I can use.

I did power up enough to move table down. Wow, I'll have to have a set of reading glasses to see that screen!
So far well pleased with the machine.

My thanks to you all for the information and thoughts so far!

Now to put everything together and fire it up.
Maybe by Monday!
John

David Somers
12-02-2016, 5:57 PM
Excellent! Fingers are crossed for complete success John!

I am tied up through Sunday night, but holler if I can help you after that!!

Dave

Brian Leavitt
12-02-2016, 5:57 PM
Congrats! Looking forward to reading about it once you've gotten a little running time on the machine.

Bill George
12-02-2016, 6:25 PM
FYI before you install any software from China make sure your Norton's is up to date. Same for downloads. My fiber laser was almost over packed. White cushy foam pieces all over inside the box. Of course it made the trip via Air to Cincinnati.

BTW they make those crates to protect shipments but they can't stop a fork truck driver from running into it!

John Lifer
12-02-2016, 6:27 PM
I'll post a couple of
pictures Assembled! and inside
...... 348648

Just in!

And Top piece

David Warkentin
12-02-2016, 8:03 PM
I've gotten an invoice from Blanca and was thinking about pulling the trigger. Couple questions; How long did yours take to get here after ordering and did you end up paying any fees after it arrived at port? I was going to get mine delivered to New Orleans and go pick it up.

Brian Book
12-02-2016, 8:36 PM
Hi John and congrats on it finally arriving :) ! .... Wow that is a huge machine .... I was considering upgrading to the 9060 but the cost really was quite a bit more than the 6040 ... I sure my machine comes with no issues ( fingers Crossed )

Looking forward to hearing more as you begin to put it through it's paces.

Brian

John Lifer
12-02-2016, 8:40 PM
Didnt know they'd ship to New Orleans! I'd have done the same. I go to Jackson quite often. Oh well, next one.
I posted the other day a timeline, from date I made payment to arrival was 71 days. I did have a week lost in dealing with error in shipping and also a week after build waiting on the once a week shipment. And 9 days of holiday. I'd give it 60 days to arrive and it may be 50.
ISF fees 90 plus 35,. FDA fee 35, customs is 2.4 percent, mine was 144. Customs broker fee of 90. Roughly 400 total due at pickup.. Smaller machine a little less on duty. You can calculate with invoice.
Make sure that YOU can pick up personally! One west coast port doesn't allow personal pickup.

David Warkentin
12-02-2016, 8:56 PM
Thanks! Looks like I need to get it ordered.

Kev Williams
12-02-2016, 10:35 PM
Yes, a 1390 IS a huge machine! My Triumph's crate and shipping paperwork had "4cm" stamped all over it--
since many dumpsters are 4 cubic yards, that's what I named it:
The Dumpster :D

Taht's pretty cool in 2 pieces! Good luck with it! :)

John Lifer
12-04-2016, 7:44 PM
Well, first issue, hopefully won't be many more for a while.....

Had some intermittent issues yesterday with the Z axis. Would go down, but coming up was not always forthcoming.
Reset machine a couple of times and it would work ok. didn't really think too much about it.

This morning started working with it and found that the -z wouldn't work at all.
Table going down, but wouldn't come up. Reset, nothing, powered down fully, nothing.
Got to looking at the machine, found the microswitch, and tested continuity. Yep, normally open and when depressed, it would close and get an ohm or two.
Traced wiring and don't really see break, looks ok, but I didn't trace the second set of wires headed out.

I think they end up going to the Autofocus as it isn't acting correctly and look to be same color.

I then saw a light on controller led #5 which is -z fault. Controller error is showing the fault also.. Won't reset.
So disconnected that plug and low and behold table rises. HMMMM, guess I'll operate with no stop in vertical and wasn't really planning to use the auto focus now either.
Am I missing something that you guys can think of? I'll contact Ray Fine and see what else they can help me with.
John

Bill George
12-04-2016, 8:08 PM
Are you sure that micro switch is not sticking or getting hung up on something? Mine came air so I think it got some TLC along the way but it looks like yours might have been fork trucked a lot.

John Lifer
12-04-2016, 9:08 PM
Nah, it's not the switch. I checked it more than once, and it worked. I've probably got a short. There is another pair heard somewhere else, it's probably damaged. I can get around it, I don't expect to run up without watching. And yeah, it was banged up some. Didnt think anything was damaged.

Kev Williams
12-04-2016, 11:11 PM
If you haven't already, check and/or disconnect the auto-focus switch. Even on my 'spensive machines, if it's stuck, table won't budge...

Jason Hakki
12-05-2016, 12:56 AM
Hey John glad to see your machine came in. I've been busy cutting on mine, keep us posted on your progress!

John Lifer
12-05-2016, 7:16 AM
Yeah Kev,it really might be the autofocus. Had the top glass fall during shipping and it might have damaged the probe or wire. I'll research later, my main goal is to get used to the machine and learn it. Notice in reading the program manual it doesn't get into the controller much, found the chinglish manual for the controller, but not much detail, it didn't mention the error LEDs at all......

Matt McCoy
12-05-2016, 12:47 PM
Press the auto focus. If the table immediately lowers, the contacts inside the touch probe are likely touching and will need to be adjusted or repaired.

Jeff Body
12-05-2016, 12:53 PM
What controller did you get with it?

John Lifer
12-05-2016, 5:16 PM
It has the 'normal' 6442xs model. Appears the same as all the other Chinese lasers.
No, it doesn't move at all when I push in the probe. I've a broken wire somewhere probably.

Matt McCoy
12-05-2016, 7:18 PM
It has the 'normal' 6442xs model. Appears the same as all the other Chinese lasers.
No, it doesn't move at all when I push in the probe. I've a broken wire somewhere probably.

To be clear. Press the button to engage the autofocus, not the probe itself. If the table immediately lowers, the contacts inside the touch probe are likely touching and will need to be adjusted or repaired.

John Lifer
12-05-2016, 8:11 PM
Yeah, maybe Matt. But as of now the plug is removed from the controller. I hit autofocus yesterday while trying to diagnose this and it almost wrecked the laser. Jammed the nozzle into the honeycomb. I was able to hit stop pretty quickly but that was last test for a while. Not worth. The damage potential.