PDA

View Full Version : Bone Head question about drill chuck....

Terry Hatfield
06-18-2003, 12:30 AM
OK, I realize that I should already know this,...but.....

My PC 12 volt drill's keyless chuck is worn slap out. I have no clue how to change it. I would really like to get the old one off first so I can order a new one that is the right size...the first time. I know it treads onto the shaft, but how does one go about holding the shaft to get it off and is it LH or RH thread?????

TIA,

Terry

David Blangger
06-18-2003, 1:38 AM
Terry,

try this site: http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=230

David

John Miliunas
06-18-2003, 8:25 AM
Terry, if you open the jaws all the way on it, you will most probably see an Allen screw or such, down the center of it. That's your ticket to getting it off. In my case (an older 12V DeWalt), I failed, because no matter what I did, I could NOT break it loose.:mad: Hope you have better luck! :cool:

Jason Roehl
06-18-2003, 8:31 AM
Terry, what you have in front of you is a 2-step process. First you have to open the chuck all the way and remove that screw (my PC 14.4V is a LH-thread Allen screw). Then you chuck the short end of an L-shaped Allen wrench in the jaws and set the drill up so that you can give the long end of that Allen wrench a whack with a mallet or hammer--counterclockwise loosens it.

If there is a Lowe's near you, they usually have replacement PC chucks in stock. At least mine does.

P.S. I was looking at the manual for my 2-year old PC drill when I typed this.

Terry Hatfield
06-18-2003, 8:57 AM
Thanks for the help guys!!!!

I read these, went out to the shop and got it right off, now if my Lowes actually has a new one I'm in business.

Thanks again,

Terry

Kevin Gerstenecker
06-18-2003, 9:05 AM
Terry, I am not sure if there is an application for a Jacobs Keyless Chuck for your Drill, but in the past I have used the Jacob Chucks for replacements on my drills when they needed it. They can be a little pricy, but I don't think they are much more than the factory replacement. I have had good luck with the Jacobs Chucks.......they hold real well, slippage has never been a problem. Just another idea fer ya! ;)

Scott Coffelt
06-18-2003, 11:16 AM
If I am not mistaken, I believe the keyless chucks included with the Dewalt and PC are made by Jacobs. I think my Dewalt even says it on the side.