PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Dust Collector questions - V3000

Brian Holcombe
12-02-2016, 8:50 AM
I know 'quiet' is a relative term. For those who own the V3000, is it 'quiet' in your opinion?

Patrick McCarthy
12-02-2016, 10:21 AM
Brian, I cannot answer your question, but I will admit to being surprised to see this question coming from you. I can only presume you are planning on amping up production???? And going to the dark side . . . . I.e., the vortex sucks in another one . . . Sorry, couldn't resist.

whatever you do, we already know it will be well thought out and reflect excellent craftsmanship.
Best regards, patrick the-not-quite-funny smart aleck.

Brian Holcombe
12-02-2016, 10:43 AM
Hah, I figured this would raise a few eyebrows. I've run into a conundrum in that I want to be able to resaw full length and full width cases for cabinets. I can acquire the stock in 8/4 (no one cuts 4/4 full width slabs with a few exceptions) but rather than acquire it and pay hours to have someone else resaw it, I'd rather do it myself. The alternative is to buy full logs and have them sawn to my desires....something I don't want to do as waiting 2 years for some cabinet stock is not in my range of interest.

I don't mind glue-ups for cabinets, but I've really wanted to work full slabs for my cabinet work for some time now. In addition to that I have a host of work coming up which calls for 18-20" wide 4/4 stock in mahogany....6' long.

I'm without a pit saw team, and so I decided to buy a MM20.

Robin Frierson
12-02-2016, 11:03 AM
Yes, it is quiet and that's one reason I bought it. My first cyclone was a woodsucker which was screaming loud. My second cyclone was a Grizzly 5hp that was even louder. So now in my third and smallest shop, a 2 car attached garage, quiet was important as I didnt want to pollute the house with too much noise. So the V3000 fit the bill. I still wear hearing protection but its the quietest cyclone I have seen. The resin body seems to keep the sound down. And it works very well too.

Brian Holcombe
12-02-2016, 11:42 AM
Thank you!

Ben Rivel
12-02-2016, 12:31 PM
With respect to large dust collectors, yes its quiet. However I always use hearing protection anything since all the tools are as loud or louder anyway, so the loudness of a dust collector can sometimes end up being a moot point.

Dave Haughs
12-02-2016, 12:50 PM
I don't know that quiet is the word I would use. Granted I have an older model from before they were resin. I built an insulated closet around mine and it made a huge difference. It's definitely quieter than my planer and it's sound even with the closet door open is muffled by the sound of the tool I am using. Most of the noise I get is the air movement. You don't hear it at all in the house. Far better than other units I've had experience with though.

Rich Greinert
12-02-2016, 1:10 PM
I have not experienced one of these but claim to be quiet.
http://www.bridgecitytools.com/blog/2016/06/15/amazing-dust-collector-ever-heard/#more-9016

Ben Rivel
12-02-2016, 1:47 PM
I have not experienced one of these but claim to be quiet.
http://www.bridgecitytools.com/blog/2016/06/15/amazing-dust-collector-ever-heard/#more-9016Why overpriced for the air it moves and the crappy 5 micron filters it uses IMO. Going with an Onieda would be a much better choice.

Brian Holcombe
12-02-2016, 2:25 PM
I'd like to avoid going well of track, I'm only considering a cyclone, furthermore I'm highly considering this cyclone because the advertised DB's are 75~ at 10ft. That's lower than the 82DB of similar machines. I briefly considered the other machine, but it is brand new, I'm not keen to be a test pilot, and it is double the price....money I'd rather spend elsewhere.

I've received some wonderful information on how to quiet them down further that I will likely employ. (thanks John!)

Reasonably quiet is important to me, because I do not live in a lonesome shack deep in the woods, nor do I live in an industrial area.

Malcolm McLeod
12-02-2016, 2:48 PM
Following this closely as I'm close to pulling trigger. I am of a similar mind about suitability of the V3000 for my situation, as I see so many gripes about the dB level of other DCs. But I've also read all the gripes about poor separation from the 'short-bodied' cyclones - like the v-series, and this has me looking at the SDG options.

Anybody compared the V3000 and SDG (both 3hp) head-to-head?

Frank Pratt
12-02-2016, 3:38 PM
I have a V-5000 & it's very quite. But it's in a sound proofed room with an insulated return air duct. With it running carrying on a whispered conversation is possible.

Ben Rivel
12-02-2016, 4:43 PM
If you guys do end up going with Oneida, remember to not be tempted and skip their Dust Level Bin Sensor and Filter Efficiency Gauge. I posted how to build your own with the exact same parts Onieda uses HERE (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?242096-Building-Your-Own-And-Improving-Upon-The-Oneida-Dust-Bin-Level-Sensor) and HERE (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?242098-Building-Your-Own-Oneida-Realtime-Filter-Efficiency-Gauge) for much less! And there is discussion on how to improve upon them.

Andy Giddings
12-02-2016, 5:20 PM
Can also recommend the DIY Dust Level Sensor from Ben's thread - mine works perfectly every time and was an easy build

Matthew Hills
12-03-2016, 1:53 AM
I've been amazed how clean you can keep that carpet with just a festool shop vac.

I'll be interested in hearing your experience; my bandsaw saws well, but the dust collection is a bit underwhelming.
Did you give any thought to the Felder RL-series?

Matt

Jim Andrew
12-03-2016, 7:49 AM
Perhaps you should look for someone local who has a bandmill. Personally, have been sawing my logs live edge, at 4/4 and 5/4. Have a nice stack of wide walnut.
My cyclone is 3hp, and in my store room. Really keeps the noise down. Venting outside also tends to send the noise outside. Surprised at how little heat it sends out.

Brian Holcombe
12-03-2016, 10:59 AM
If you guys do end up going with Oneida, remember to not be tempted and skip their Dust Level Bin Sensor and Filter Efficiency Gauge. I posted how to build your own with the exact same parts Onieda uses HERE (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?242096-Building-Your-Own-And-Improving-Upon-The-Oneida-Dust-Bin-Level-Sensor) and HERE (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?242098-Building-Your-Own-Oneida-Realtime-Filter-Efficiency-Gauge) for much less! And there is discussion on how to improve upon them.

Thank you!

I've been amazed how clean you can keep that carpet with just a festool shop vac.

I'll be interested in hearing your experience; my bandsaw saws well, but the dust collection is a bit underwhelming.
Did you give any thought to the Felder RL-series?

Matt

I looked at saws, oh man did I look at saws! Ultimately MM seemed to have it all for me and not too insanely priced. A lot of the big saws have the table size but not the resaw. That seemed the case with all of the industrial saws less MM and laguna. Given the close pricing I decided on MM since they have a very positive reputation.

Perhaps you should look for someone local who has a bandmill. Personally, have been sawing my logs live edge, at 4/4 and 5/4. Have a nice stack of wide walnut.
My cyclone is 3hp, and in my store room. Really keeps the noise down. Venting outside also tends to send the noise outside. Surprised at how little heat it sends out.

One sawmill near me cuts it on rare occasion. I buy most of it and none is near wide enough for a cabinet. I need to start with 20"~ wide stock to cut two straight lines and yield 18.5". No one cuts walnut that wide in 4/4. I can't see buying full logs for a couple wide boards near the center nor do I have the capacity to store tons of material.

Travis Fatzinger
12-04-2016, 10:17 AM
I just put my V-3000 together yesterday and am doing the ductwork today. I'm surprised at how quiet it is. It might be quieter than the Jet 2hp bag that it's replacing, or at least a less annoying pitch.

I'll use an app on the phone to try and compare the two decibel ratings.

Greg Parrish
12-04-2016, 12:17 PM
Mine is amazingly quiet in my 2 car garage. I can carry on a normal conversation with it running. The tone of the sound is a lower pitch which helps I think. Maybe a little louder than my powermatic table saw running but a different sound that changes very little regardless of what gates I open or close. I love mine.

Ben Rivel
12-04-2016, 8:04 PM
Mine is amazingly quiet in my 2 car garage. I can carry on a normal conversation with it running. The tone of the sound is a lower pitch which helps I think. Maybe a little louder than my powermatic table saw running but a different sound that changes very little regardless of what gates I open or close. I love mine.
Same here.

dennis davidson
12-04-2016, 8:43 PM
I guess it's a matter of perspective, I think it's rather loud. I'm in the process of getting my v3000 hooked up. I measure 83-85 db at 10ft. I didn't use the stand that comes with the unit because I wanted to save floor space, so I have the collector attached to a corner wall. I didn't use any isolators between the wall and the bracket and maybe that's why I'm louder than the claimed 73 db, but I don't think so the unit is rock solid and the noise certainly just sounds like moving air. I'm going to investigate exhausting outside using insulated flexible hvac material to see how much lower I can get. I would be interested in what actual numbers others with this unit are getting.

Ben Rivel
12-04-2016, 10:05 PM
I guess it's a matter of perspective, I think it's rather loud. I'm in the process of getting my v3000 hooked up. I measure 83-85 db at 10ft. I didn't use the stand that comes with the unit because I wanted to save floor space, so I have the collector attached to a corner wall. I didn't use any isolators between the wall and the bracket and maybe that's why I'm louder than the claimed 73 db, but I don't think so the unit is rock solid and the noise certainly just sounds like moving air. I'm going to investigate exhausting outside using insulated flexible hvac material to see how much lower I can get. I would be interested in what actual numbers others with this unit are getting.Man, being that you have that up so high I would have done the 55 gallon drum!

Andy Giddings
12-04-2016, 11:23 PM
Dennis, I know from reading the Clearvue forum that a number of people have just used sound isolating material around the exhaust into the filter (which is where the Oneida baffle is I believe). As you state, most of the noise seems to originate from the air movement rather than the motor/impeller. Also looks like you can easily build an isolation box around your setup as you've used a corner mounting

Brian Holcombe
12-05-2016, 10:46 AM
Thanks gents, this is much appreciated.

mark mcfarlane
12-05-2016, 7:29 PM
I guess it's a matter of perspective, I think it's rather loud. I'm in the process of getting my v3000 hooked up. I measure 83-85 db at 10ft. I didn't use the stand that comes with the unit because I wanted to save floor space, so I have the collector attached to a corner wall. I didn't use any isolators between the wall and the bracket and maybe that's why I'm louder than the claimed 73 db, but I don't think so the unit is rock solid and the noise certainly just sounds like moving air. I'm going to investigate exhausting outside using insulated flexible hvac material to see how much lower I can get. I would be interested in what actual numbers others with this unit are getting.

Dennis, Theoretically, placing your dust collector against a wall (half space), and assuming the wall is a perfect acoustic reflector (which a stud wall is NOT), the sound pressure measured near the DC will double. Putting it in a corner (quarter space) will double the sound level again (the worse of all situations, except maybe putting it in a closet with the door open...).

Consider putting 2 panels of unfaced Rockwool (or Owens Corning 703 or 705) in the corner behind the DC (behind the motor and impeller). This will cut down on the reflected energy and get you closer to Oneida's measurements (which may be full pace or half space, I don't know, but a half space measurement would represent realistic usage).

There are so many different ways to measure sound pressure that I wouldn't consider comparing the numbers from one manufacturer to another.