PDA

View Full Version : Rikon Midi 70-220 VSR?

Jerry Rhoads
12-01-2016, 2:50 PM
Hello everyone, I am thinking about upgrading my Granddaughter's lathe, with a vevery slightly used Rikon.
What are people's opinion of this lathe? What problems have you had? how is it for greenwood Bowls?
And any other information about this lathe that you can give me.
She is a former student of mine, but will be moving and not taking her shop equipment
Shoot, it's hardly even dusty. don't think she got a chance to use it much.

I have used many mini's but not the Rikon. it is two years old. and I seen some reviews saying it had control problems at that time.
I did contact Rikon, and they said they would honor the last three years of the warranty. that's great.

Thank you in advance
Jerry

Ted Baxter
12-01-2016, 6:36 PM
Hi Jerry, I have one I bought it new and it has giving me no problems. It was my first lathe. I recently bought a large lathe so it is not being used now but I am not sure if i want to sell it. The first thing i turned on it was a segmented bowl walnut & maple finised size is about 7" it did just fine. I nevre turned much green wood but it seems to be a good lathe.

Jerry Rhoads
12-02-2016, 9:59 AM
Thank you Ted

Vicki Hayden
12-03-2016, 10:55 AM
I love mine! I've had to contact Rikon support twice and they were wonderful both times. One was the wrench on arrival was bent and they sent new ones immediately. The second issue was recently the display was giving false readings. I called tech support and they talked me through the fix which was using compressed air to blow dust of the sensor inside the pulley housing. I had turned a lot of bass wood and there was a ton of dust everywhere. If that hadn't of worked they would have mailed me a module to swap out. The lathe runs great and I love the VSR. I'd recommend it to anyone.