PDA

View Full Version : Mylands cellulose sanding sealer how to thin

doug williams
12-01-2016, 12:28 PM
I have some of this sealer and would like to thin it a little and am wondering what to thin with. The can say's contains iso propyl alcohol, I have isopropyl rubbing alcohol 70% from rite aid, would that work?

Conrad Fiore
12-02-2016, 7:27 AM
It's a lacquer based sealer as stated on the Mylands site, so I would think that it should be thinned with lacquer thinner.

kevin nee
12-02-2016, 9:25 AM
I am interested in these replies. Why do you want to thin it? So it will penetrate deeper, dry faster?

Wayne Lomman
12-02-2016, 10:01 PM
Kevin, I always thin sanding sealers 50% and put on 2 coats. Takes a bit longer but the end result is a more level finish that required little sanding to achieve.

Doug, I have not used this brand and the product Web site is a bit average for information. I agree with Conrad that lacquer thinner is probably the go. Cheers

doug williams
12-03-2016, 1:19 PM
Thanks, I emailed mylands and they replied lacquer thinner is what's used. Yes I wanted to thin it to help fill some tear outs on the inside of a bowel due to my poor ability at the final pass. Thinking maybe 2 or3 coatings would help fill the tear outs. Thanks for your advice