PDA

View Full Version : Round Bamboo Cutting Boards

Sharon Willis
12-01-2016, 12:13 PM
Hello All,

I have searched high and low for round blank bamboo cutting boards. I haven't found a supplier at this point. Does anyone know of a supplier in the US for this product? I don't want the 2 tone ones, just the plain blank ones, at least 14" in diameter and about 3/4 inch or more.

Thanks for your help

Sharon

Bill George
12-01-2016, 1:22 PM
Hello All,

I have searched high and low for round blank bamboo cutting boards. I haven't found a supplier at this point. Does anyone know of a supplier in the US for this product? I don't want the 2 tone ones, just the plain blank ones, at least 14" in diameter and about 3/4 inch or more.

Thanks for your help

Sharon
A google Search "round bamboo cutting boards" bought up 913,000 results the first page had a lot of results you might like.

Gary Hair
12-01-2016, 1:48 PM
Try this link...

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=round+bamboo+cutting+boards

Hello All,

Thanks for your help

Sharon

Bruce Volden
12-01-2016, 3:16 PM
Tough crowd here today, must be the holiday crunch?? :D :D

Bruce

Sharon Willis
12-01-2016, 3:40 PM
I did that too and mine only got 907000 results you must have a better google then me. I still find it very funny how people can search high and low and not find anything and in a matter of .067 seconds you or I can find over 900,000 possibilities . Hmmmm they come here and we do all the work.

Sorry you feel that way Bert. I actually have looked for a "supplier" in the US and haven't found one that fits my specs. I do have a supplier that didn't even have that specific item. He will get it for me but not until February. I am not one to have anyone do "all" the work for me. I asked this after an earnest search on my own.

Thanks

Sharon Willis
12-01-2016, 3:42 PM
What a nice group. Thanks for "ALL" your help.

Bill George
12-01-2016, 5:03 PM

Well here is one I found and this was on the first page of a Search> http://www.prorose.com/p/product/693c339f-7ac5-40b9-bbd3-ffc96d8dcb0a/10-round-bamboo-cutting-board

Sure they are pre engraved, ask if you can purchase blank and find out who there supplier is.

Bert Kemp
12-01-2016, 5:05 PM
Sharon this is about a once a week occurrence here on the creek. A person signs up, doesn't tell us anything about who they are what type of work they do any equipment they have where their from or anything . First post " I've searched and searched and I can't find it. Then we do a search and in 2 seconds we find what they want. So what are we suppose to think. I'm thinking that if I can find it and Bill can find it and Gary can find it and most everyone else here thats looked can find it then why can't the people who searched so hard can't find it. thats what I'm thinking. Another thing is after we tell them where to find it half the timje they don't even say thanks and they never come back or if they do come back its because they have another thing they can't find.
So hey don't feel so bad they we were a little rough on you today, I see a few posted links for you . Come back tell us the who , what and were of Sharon.

Bruce Page
12-01-2016, 6:02 PM
Folks, please keep it friendly. If you don't have anything positive to say, it is sometimes better to keep quiet.

Sharon Willis
12-13-2016, 10:46 AM
I hate that some make it hard for others. I had decided to just let it go and not come back to the forum, but decided to look again today.

A little about me, I live in Mississippi not far from Memphis. I've wanted to get into laser engraving for about 10 years and finally made the purchase about a year and a half ago. I have a 50W Blue and White Chinese Laser and I am trying to build this into a business. I do this part time as I work in the real estate industry as well. I have sold mostly cutting boards, baby announcements and wine boxes. All engraved. I haven't had much luck with cutting so I am sticking to engraving for the moment. I use Corel and RD Works.

I do have an awesome supplier for my cutting boards and I like bamboo because it's eco friendly. Nothing against the different types of wood, but I get a more consistent product with bamboo. He didn't have the round boards in stock and will not have them until February. I searched for the round, plain, 14 inch boards and just couldn't find a supplier. I saw the two toned boards but I don't want that look for the finished product. Consistency is important to me, because I want to be able to order in bulk and not worry about them continuing to stock.

Well that's a little about me. Hopefully I will be able to contribute to the group as well.

Enjoy the Holidays!!!

Sharon Willis
12-13-2016, 10:48 AM
Thank You Bill.

Matt McCoy
12-13-2016, 10:58 AM
I hate that some make it hard for others. I had decided to just let it go and not come back to the forum, but decided to look again today.

A little about me, I live in Mississippi not far from Memphis. I've wanted to get into laser engraving for about 10 years and finally made the purchase about a year and a half ago. I have a 50W Blue and White Chinese Laser and I am trying to build this into a business. I do this part time as I work in the real estate industry as well. I have sold mostly cutting boards, baby announcements and wine boxes. All engraved. I haven't had much luck with cutting so I am sticking to engraving for the moment. I use Corel and RD Works.

I do have an awesome supplier for my cutting boards and I like bamboo because it's eco friendly. Nothing against the different types of wood, but I get a more consistent product with bamboo. He didn't have the round boards in stock and will not have them until February. I searched for the round, plain, 14 inch boards and just couldn't find a supplier. I saw the two toned boards but I don't want that look for the finished product. Consistency is important to me, because I want to be able to order in bulk and not worry about them continuing to stock.

Well that's a little about me. Hopefully I will be able to contribute to the group as well.

Enjoy the Holidays!!!

Welcome to SMC Sharon. Don't mind the grumps. :)

Have you considered looking to a local woodworker or someone with a CNC to help? You might also try Etsy, where you can search local artisans by entering a custom location.

Bill George
12-13-2016, 12:05 PM

Have you considered looking to a local woodworker or someone with a CNC to help? You might also try Etsy, where you can search local artisans by entering a custom location.
Or buying some pre-built and have a local guy cut them round and do the edges with a sander? I am assuming some sort of poly finish?

Matt McCoy
12-13-2016, 1:45 PM
Or buying some pre-built and have a local guy cut them round and do the edges with a sander? I am assuming some sort of poly finish?

That would work. Sharon, if you're handy, you could make your own with a router and circle jig (that's one way), or double-sided tape and a template (that's another). I would use mineral oil or a beeswax to season the cutting board, so you're not taking the chance of getting polyurethane flakes in your food.

Sharon Willis
12-13-2016, 2:03 PM

I have thought about it. It would be nice to buy local. Just wasn't sure if it could be done bamboo. I'll put that on my list to check. I can buy the round boards at Home Depot, but not having great success with engraving and staining.

Thanks for your response.

Bert Kemp
12-13-2016, 2:04 PM
Hi Sharon,
I see you took my advice ,came back and gave us a little info about you.Please accept my apology if I came on a little to strong in my first post to you. I seem to have a bad habit of doing that but I think most here will agree I'm mostly bark and little bite, altho I guess I sting sometimes, sorry bout that.:D Glad you came back and hope you become a regular. Theres a lot of real knowledgeable people here that can really be of help when your machine starts to have problems and they all do. Even the big 3 have there troubles. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Sharon Willis
12-13-2016, 2:08 PM
That would work. Sharon, if you're handy, you could make your own with a router and circle jig (that's one way), or double-sided tape and a template (that's another). I would use mineral oil or a beeswax to season the cutting board, so you're not taking the chance of getting polyurethane flakes in your food.

I am pretty handy, just a little uneasy with a saw. I hadn't thought about pre made and cutting them. That's an awesome idea. I'm going to research that.

Thank you for that.

Sharon Willis
12-13-2016, 2:14 PM
Thank you for that Bert. Apology accepted. I hope to become a regular and to contribute as well. Yes I actually killed my tube when I 1st got the machine. I was able to get in touch with a guy about an hour from here, took the whole thing to him and he replaced it for me. That was a blessing. I have learned a lot since then, but still so much more to learn.

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

Sharon Willis
12-13-2016, 2:15 PM
Thank you, pre built is a great idea. I hadn't thought of that.

Bert Kemp
12-13-2016, 2:19 PM
I Don't know if this will work but HD has bamboo flooring about 8" wide. glue 2 together cut out 16" sq's then let the laser cut out 14" round and there you have it.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-Horizontal-Toast-5-8-in-Thick-x-5-in-Wide-x-38-59-in-Length-Solid-Bamboo-Flooring-24-12-sq-ft-case-HL615S/205124713

soory its 5 " use 3

Lee DeRaud
12-13-2016, 2:57 PM
I Don't know if this will work but HD has bamboo flooring about 8" wide. glue 2 together cut out 16" sq's then let the laser cut out 14" round and there you have it.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-Horizontal-Toast-5-8-in-Thick-x-5-in-Wide-x-38-59-in-Length-Solid-Bamboo-Flooring-24-12-sq-ft-case-HL615S/205124713

soory its 5 " use 3From the description: "The prefinished flooring features a 7-layer aluminum oxide finish"...not sure that plays well as a food-prep surface.

David Somers
12-13-2016, 4:53 PM
Hi Sharon!

Just a thought for you regarding making your own round boards. As has been suggested, get a square one and make it round. You mentioned though that you are uneasy around saws? One suggestion made that may not have registered with you is using a router and a circle jig. Since you are trying to make a business out of this you might go a step further and look at a suitably sized router table. It has the advantage of having the router mounted upside down under the table with the cutting bit coming up through the table. YOu can use it to cut circles. And with a router you can also use a radius bit to cut a rounded edge for your boards that requires little sanding. Now and then I make adirondack chairs for friends out of a design I did years ago. Once I had the design as I wanted it I made a template for each piece out of Masonite. I nail it onto the board I will cut that piece from and then use a special router bit with a bearing on it to cut the piece. The bearing rides along the masonite template and the resulting cut edge requires little to no sanding provided I maintain my bits. It is fast and simple, and the cutting bit is no where near my fingers. If you have a store like Rockler near you, or Woodcraft, or if there is a community college near you that has adult ed classes for wood working that might be a good source for learning. Or, if you are in a big enough town you may find you have a type of shop available called a Maker Shop. (that is not a store name. It is just a type of shop) Maker shops have tons of equipment you can rent time on for pretty reasonable prices, including router tables or shapers. (a shaper is simply a honking stout router table) And most of these shops have classes, or keep people familiar with equipment on hand to help newbies. A good resource, especially if you want to try out a concept without buying the equipment, and you need some help learning out to run the equipment.

Lastly, One other thing you could do that often helps folks here when you ask questions is to go into your profile in SMC and modify your "signature" to include your laser type (brand name and power would be most helpful) along with any other major tools you enjoy using. And in your profile you will also find a place to put your location. It will appear in the top right of any posts you make. You dont need to be very detailed with location. Just City and State, or country, or even just state or country. We have folks everywhere and if they know you are located in Vanuatu someone there can give you some pretty specific sources when you ask. You can see my "signature" below my name in this post. And you can see my location in the top right of any post I make.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Bill George
12-13-2016, 5:05 PM
I have thought about it. It would be nice to buy local. Just wasn't sure if it could be done bamboo. I'll put that on my list to check. I can buy the round boards at Home Depot, but not having great success with engraving and staining.

Thanks for your response.

I did a couple of pre finished bamboo cutting boards last year, and maybe it was just me but they were very difficult to get a good looking, dark result. This was with my ULS 50 watt tested at 63 watt machine. But the customer was pleased and paid so that is all that counts I guess.

Bert Kemp
12-13-2016, 7:43 PM
Good point Lee I didn't think about the finish. But it might work if your making decorative boards to hang on a wall. Always an alternative:) LOL

From the description: "The prefinished flooring features a 7-layer aluminum oxide finish"...not sure that plays well as a food-prep surface.

Sharon Willis
12-15-2016, 12:53 PM
Thank You Bert.

Sharon Willis
12-15-2016, 12:59 PM
Hi Bill,

I get them unfinished in bulk and yes you're right, the engraving does vary in how dark it gets. Sometimes I get lighter results. I have a 50w set at 275 speed and 55 power. Sometimes I get the burn marks on the board and sometimes not. I lightly sand it off and when I treat it with the oil and wax, it makes the engraving pop. My customers have been pleased with the results. I also include a card with the board about the variations because it's bamboo.

Hope that helps.

Sharon Willis
12-15-2016, 1:05 PM
Thank you David, for all of your advice. I did look on youtube for cutting round circles out of wood. I would probably be ok with a router. Not sure if we have a Maker Shop nearby but I will check into it. Going to update my signature now.

Thanks Again.

Bert Kemp
12-15-2016, 1:17 PM
if you take the laser out of focus about an 8th inch you will get a darker burn:)

Brian Lamb
12-15-2016, 6:09 PM
I don't find I have too much trouble getting a dark enough mark. Just did a couple cutting boards for Christmas presents.... as for finish, coat them with Walnut oil if it's actually going to be used as a cutting board.

Sharon Willis
12-28-2016, 4:19 PM
Thank You Bert! I have never tried that. I will test.

David Somers
12-28-2016, 6:19 PM
Sharon,

If you use walnut oil don't use walnut oil that you get in a grocer for use on food. It will go rancid over time like any food grade oil. Look for a walnut oil meant as a finish. It will usually be stabilized to prevent it from going rancid. It will still be safe for food contact. It should not have any hardeners it, though some finishes use walnut oil with hardeners. They identify it though and won't claim to be 100% walnut oil. And lastly, nut based oils could, in theory, be an issue for folks with severe nut allergies? The oil eventually cures inside the grain of the wood and wouldnt cause a problem at that point. But until then it could be an issue. A walnut finish oil like Mahoney's walnut oil (used by many wood turners who do utility pieces) and his walnut oil wax is heat treated to prevent it going rancid, and that is also supposed to destroy the protein involved in nut allergies. I have not pursued this though and don't know if that is medically accurate.

Hope that helps!

Matt McCoy
12-29-2016, 11:31 AM
Sharon,

If you use walnut oil don't use walnut oil that you get in a grocer for use on food. It will go rancid over time like any food grade oil. Look for a walnut oil meant as a finish. It will usually be stabilized to prevent it from going rancid. It will still be safe for food contact. It should not have any hardeners it, though some finishes use walnut oil with hardeners. They identify it though and won't claim to be 100% walnut oil. And lastly, nut based oils could, in theory, be an issue for folks with severe nut allergies? The oil eventually cures inside the grain of the wood and wouldnt cause a problem at that point. But until then it could be an issue. A walnut finish oil like Mahoney's walnut oil (used by many wood turners who do utility pieces) and his walnut oil wax is heat treated to prevent it going rancid, and that is also supposed to destroy the protein involved in nut allergies. I have not pursued this though and don't know if that is medically accurate.

Hope that helps!

Walnut oil is great, just a little spendy. Good point about nut allergies and maybe something to consider.

David Somers
12-29-2016, 7:36 PM
Yeah...I enjoy using it too Matt. Durable and nice to work with.

When I know folks may be nut sensitive I will use mineral oil instead. It helps protect the wood, but it does not cure in the wood like natural oils like Tung and Walnut do, and it actually evaporates over time, leaving the wood unprotected. But it is easy to come across in a basic hardware store though and it is cheap and really easy for a bowl or cutting board owner to reapply on a regular basis. Just be sure they understand not to use baby oil and stuff like that. That has scent added to it. As if I wanted my food to smell like a baby's bottom? <grin>

Matt McCoy
12-30-2016, 9:40 PM
Yeah...I enjoy using it too Matt. Durable and nice to work with.

When I know folks may be nut sensitive I will use mineral oil instead. It helps protect the wood, but it does not cure in the wood like natural oils like Tung and Walnut do, and it actually evaporates over time, leaving the wood unprotected. But it is easy to come across in a basic hardware store though and it is cheap and really easy for a bowl or cutting board owner to reapply on a regular basis. Just be sure they understand not to use baby oil and stuff like that. That has scent added to it. As if I wanted my food to smell like a baby's bottom? <grin>

Walnut oil smells awesome, so no problem there. Baby bottoms around our house are hit or miss. Either way, certainly don't want the ham my wife is making tomorrow smelling like anything other than delicious ham.

Happy New Year David.