PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 World's Biggest Wooden Bowl (video)

Chris Gunsolley
11-30-2016, 3:01 PM
Being a fan of big bowls myself, I enjoyed this video. So, I just thought I'd share, as I'm sure many of you will as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQgutRARP6I

Well, what do you think?

Also, I'm just curious, do any of you cut your blanks with a chainsaw after the piece of wood is mounted on the lathe?

Roger Chandler
11-30-2016, 3:45 PM
That is nowhere near the World's biggest wooden bowl. While I have seen that video a few times, and Lizzi Oland and her husband were great turners and their work methods are a joy to behold............there are others out there! Here, try this one on for size...

http://wwideas.com/2014/11/the-biggest-wooden-bowl/

Sam Beagle
11-30-2016, 5:54 PM
Roger. The bowl you posted was 1 in the original video.

Roger Chandler
11-30-2016, 6:30 PM
The first look at it that I took only showed the Olands in it......the other parts must not have downloaded when I clicked on the link for some reason????

These videos have made the rounds on the forums a number of times over the last few years......but it is always great to see them again! :)

Brice Rogers
11-30-2016, 6:43 PM
It bothered me when I saw Lizzy with her fingers wrapped over and around the top edge of her tool rest. If the blank came loose or a chunk tore off, her fingers could get crushed between the wood and the tool rest. Is it just me or is this an accepted practice?

Roger Chandler
11-30-2016, 7:24 PM
It bothered me when I saw Lizzy with her fingers wrapped over and around the top edge of her tool rest. If the blank came loose or a chunk tore off, her fingers could get crushed between the wood and the tool rest. Is it just me or is this an accepted practice?I noted the fingers over the toolrest in some comments the last time that video made the rounds.....something that large could do serious damage to tendons/ligaments etc. if something went bad.

Leo Van Der Loo
11-30-2016, 8:54 PM
Being a fan of big bowls myself, I enjoyed this video. So, I just thought I'd share, as I'm sure many of you will as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQgutRARP6I

Well, what do you think?

Also, I'm just curious, do any of you cut your blanks with a chainsaw after the piece of wood is mounted on the lathe?

As was already mentioned, that bowl is nowhere the world largest turned bowl, The Austrian one is way larger and the standing world record, the previous one was turned in Australia, I seen pictures of it but can’t find anything back of it, is was also very large.

Anyway about the chainsaw cutting after the piece is mounted I’ve done only twice that I can remember, the last time was because I could not get my banjo oriented as I wanted, and so had to cut the corners off on the front end, the other time was when I had turned a blank that had a surprise inside the blank and turning that out, I ended up with a blank that I cut in two to end up with two bowl blanks.

348581 348580

Bob Bergstrom
12-01-2016, 9:21 AM
If I'm turning a large half log i will routinely mount it on the lathe, lock the spindle and chainsaw the end grain areas to match the side grain areas of the log. The bowl blank would then be much closer to a half spherical shape. Blair Davis, in the second video section would have saveed a lot of time and abuse to his body if he would have trimmed the blank first. I leave the inside because I will core as many blanks as possible.