PDA

View Full Version : What does a "passive anti-theft device" do?

Stephen Tashiro
11-30-2016, 2:47 PM
What does a passive anti-theft device do to make it "anti-theft"? How can I tell if my van has a "passive anti-theft device"?

A letter from State Farm Insurance says I can get a discount on insurance for my van if it has an "anti-theft" device. Information from insurance companies on the web says a "passive anti-theft device" is "activated" when engine is shut-off and the car doors are locked. If I've shut the engine off, taken the key from the ignition and locked the doors, then what additional "anti-theft" measures are implemented? Is there an alarm that sounds if someone breaks a window ?

John Lanciani
11-30-2016, 3:16 PM
On most (all maybe?) late model cars the key contains an RFID chip. If the key with the correct RFID is not in the ignition the car won't start. The insurance companies consider this a passive anti theft device since it requires no effort to use.

Jim Koepke
11-30-2016, 4:23 PM
Here is a demonstration of "passive anti-theft device" from before the advent of RFID chips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zin26ezvgO0

jtk

Stephen Tashiro
11-30-2016, 6:45 PM
On most (all maybe?) late model cars the key contains an RFID chip

It's a 2012 Toyota Sienna - would that be late model enough? The letter from State Farm says the VIN number of the vehicle indicates that it may have an anti-theft device, but they can't be sure it does.

I wonder if the scanner I have for dog and cat ID chips can detect a RFID chip on a key.

Brent Cutshall
11-30-2016, 6:49 PM
"Passive anti-theft device"? Ain't that the kind that DON'T jump out of the car and chase the thief away with persuasive instruments?;)

Kev Williams
11-30-2016, 7:00 PM
2012 should be fine, my 2004 Dodge Stratus has it. I didn't know that until I had some spare keys made, it starts then shuts off about 1 second later. Good door and trunk keys though ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
11-30-2016, 7:14 PM
Stephen....when you use the remote to lock the doors...if you click it the 2nd time does the horn sound? Did you try reading the operator's manual to see what it says?

Frederick Skelly
11-30-2016, 8:20 PM
Here is a demonstration of "passive anti-theft device" from before the advent of RFID chips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zin26ezvgO0

jtk

Man THAT'S funny! I went and watched all of those ads!

Stephen Tashiro
11-30-2016, 8:36 PM
Stephen....when you use the remote to lock the doors...if you click it the 2nd time does the horn sound?

No The second click unlocks the middle and rear doors.

Did you try reading the operator's manual to see what it says?
No.

I think the quickest solution will be to consult the dealer.

Wade Lippman
11-30-2016, 8:38 PM
My 2011 Subaru Impreza has a flashing light with the doors locked. When I unlock it with a key that is not in the system, an alarm goes off. (lost two keys, had two more made and entered in, then found the lost keys after 3 years. The system can only handle 3 keys, so the old ones are pretty much unusable (until I lose more...))

My 2016 Mazda CX3 has 10 pages on how the security system works, but I haven't read it. Who would steal a CX3?

Rich Engelhardt
12-01-2016, 6:02 AM
What does a passive anti-theft device do to make it "anti-theft"? How can I tell if my van has a "passive anti-theft device"?
Mine lays in the backseat and licks itself in inappropriate places........I can tell the RAV 4 has one because it leaves a bunch of dirty paw prints on the leather seats....:D :D

Harry Hagan
12-03-2016, 7:30 PM
Ask your insurance agent. You'll have to do that anyway.

Stephen Tashiro
12-04-2016, 9:31 AM
Ask your insurance agent. You'll have to do that anyway.

It's the insurance company that is asking me.

Russ Ellis
12-04-2016, 11:04 AM
The most simplistic Passive Anti-Theft Device used to be a kill switch mounted somewhere in the vehicle. Only the owners/drivers knew where the switch was located. Anyone that thought they could hot-wire the vehicle would find their efforts ineffective.

According to the press release that I found for the 2012 Toyota Sienna: LE and higher trims have an "Engine Immobilizer", XLE and higher trims have an "Anti-Theft System with Engine Immobilizer". I would take a guess that the "Engine Immobilizer" is enough to meet your insurance company's requirements.

Source: pressroom.toyota.com/toyota/2012+toyota+sienna+product+specifications.download

Stephen Tashiro
12-04-2016, 7:32 PM
According to the press release that I found for the 2012 Toyota Sienna: LE and higher trims have an "Engine Immobilizer", XLE and higher trims have an "Anti-Theft System with Engine Immobilizer". I would take a guess that the "Engine Immobilizer" is enough to meet your insurance company's requirements.

Source: pressroom.toyota.com/toyota/2012+toyota+sienna+product+specifications.download

Thank you.

(Can you imagine 30 years ago how people would have reacted to a car that advertised having an "engine immobilizer".)

Rich Engelhardt
12-06-2016, 11:16 AM
(Can you imagine 30 years ago how people would have reacted to a car that advertised having an "engine immobilizer".)
Yep - all we had back then was a steel bar that went through the steering wheel & smacked the thief in the gut! :D

Curt Harms
12-09-2016, 10:11 AM
Mine lays in the backseat and licks itself in inappropriate places........I can tell the RAV 4 has one because it leaves a bunch of dirty paw prints on the leather seats....:D :D

I thought passive anti-theft had to do with watching passively while your dog tears a chunk out of the would-be thief's backside. I'm probably wrong though.:)