PDA

View Full Version : Drywall Joint compound.. Didn't they come in 5 Gal buckets ?

Clarence Martin
11-30-2016, 10:33 AM
Been some time since I bought Drywall Joint Compound. All I notice is the 4.5 Gallon buckets. Didn't Drywall Joint Compound used to come in 5 Gallon buckets ??

Bert Kemp
11-30-2016, 10:34 AM
Sure did but just like everything else they reduced the size but the price is the same or more LOL

Jim Becker
11-30-2016, 11:23 AM
LOL...I never looked at the container when I recently bought it. 'Just did now. 4.5gal. Go figure... :o

julian abram
11-30-2016, 11:28 AM
Yep, all I see is 4.5 gal buckets now. As I get older not sure I could pick up that extra .5 lb anyway.:)

Steve Peterson
11-30-2016, 12:54 PM
I am thinking about switching to powdered drywall mix. It is a bit more work, but I think it would set up to a harder surface.

Steve

Ole Anderson
11-30-2016, 1:20 PM
Powdered stuff cures like concrete via a chemical reaction, some water still needs to evaporate though. Mixes are sold by the setting time. Mud in a bucket must dry like mud through evaporation.

Bill Neely
11-30-2016, 4:56 PM
I am thinking about switching to powdered drywall mix. It is a bit more work, but I think it would set up to a harder surface.

Steve

Generally you need to work faster with setting compound and it doesn't sand as easily as regular mud.

David Helm
11-30-2016, 6:06 PM
I always bought regular joint compound in boxes (as most professionals do) so really didn't know the size of the buckets. Catalized compound does not have glue in it so you need to use regular compound for the taping faze. As with all compounds, the thinner the coat the better to minimize sanding.

Kev Williams
11-30-2016, 7:04 PM
A symptom of $4.25 a gallon gas, like narrower toilet paper and 15oz. 'pounds'. Rather than mfr's raising the price of stuff to compensate, they lowered the content and hoped no one noticed (or cared).

Mel Fulks
11-30-2016, 7:45 PM
I think the title "5 gallon bucket" will endure in our language and we will soon see elementary math problems like:" How much does a 5 gallon bucket hold?"

Bruce Wrenn
11-30-2016, 9:32 PM
we will soon see elementary math problems like:" How much does a 5 gallon bucket hold?"Depends, is it a tall or short five gallon bucket? Fits right in with "How much propane is in a 20# tank?"

Jason Roehl
12-01-2016, 6:15 AM
Powdered stuff cures like concrete via a chemical reaction, some water still needs to evaporate though. Mixes are sold by the setting time. Mud in a bucket must dry like mud through evaporation.

That would be the Durabond, which comes in a brown bag. You can get powdered drywall mud ("setting-type compound") in various cure times that comes in white bags, and is easily sanded.

The rated set time on the bag is a general guideline to amount of time you have to work with it. I've used just about all of them for one thing or another. 5 minute, 20, 45, 60, 90 and 120 minute, though my go-tos are the 5, 20 and 45 minute. Since these setting compounds are usually used for small patches, you can put a fan on them to speed drying for the next coat or to get them ready to sand.

Rollie Meyers
12-04-2016, 5:30 AM
Provide your own bucket & buy mud in a box, it saves money. Just do not work out of the box the product will become contaminated with dried bits of mud, rendering the product worthless.

Mark Blatter
12-04-2016, 10:17 AM
A similar thing happened to me about a month ago. My wife has a recipe for brownies that is terrific. We were having a pot luck at work, so I made up a batch and took them in. After making them up, the wife tasted them and said they didn't taste right, not enough chocolate in them. I said 'Dear I followed your recipe to the letter. The nice thing is that it call for four ounces of dark baking chocolate for the brownies, then four more ounces for the icing....which works great because the box is sold in 8 ounces. These small squares where each square is an ounce. We grabbed the box and sure enough, the box, while looking exactly the same is now 4 ounces instead of 8. They cut the box in half, didn't change a thing, but make each square thinner. When that same box has been sold for decades in the same size, to me, that is deceptive. They did cut the price by about 35%, so a nice overall increase in the cost.

Jim Becker
12-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Last night I made ricotta gnocchi and the Zakarian recipe I was using called for 2 cups of ricotta and even the brand was listed for promotional purposes. The ricotta is sold in 15 oz containers. :D Fortunately, I was able to work around that without buying a second container for that extra ounce...