PDA

View Full Version : Selecting plywood?

Andrew Wayland
11-30-2016, 5:21 AM
I have a couple of plywood distributors nearby me. One uses Columbia Forrest products, with only A-1 grade. Another uses Murphy and MT Baker... but they only stock B1 grade.

I've read a few things also about Chinese plywood, but how do I know the source?

Being new to all this; is there one brand to avoid? What should I be looking for?

Andy Giddings
11-30-2016, 7:30 AM
Andrew, if you let us know your location there is a good chance that someone will recommend their favorite supplier from your area. At least the supplier I use identifies the Chinese plywood in their range. Apart from the grades which I assume you've read up about, the other thing to watch for is warping. Some prefer to use MDF core ply as it can be flatter (but often heavier) and some use veneer core and work around it. Not all ply warps but you do want to watch for this as part of the selection

Andrew Wayland
11-30-2016, 7:44 AM
I'm located in Southeastern MA, close to the RI border.

The MDF boards don't seem to be readily available out here, but I appreciate anybody who can recommend a good shop!

peter gagliardi
11-30-2016, 8:32 AM
I ONLY use Columbia product. I have used others, States, etc... Columbia has been consistently the best. I specify an all poplar core on my 3/4" prefinished maple for cabinets. Columbia is the only one that seems to care to make it.
I run a custom woodworking and cabinet shop, and the poplar core plywood machines, glues, and holds screws better than anything else.
I have had competing plywood salesmen try to argue that point, because they sell a fir or alder, or meranti core.
Columbia is also a formaldehyde free product if you care.
Atlantic Plywood has it.

Kevin Smira
11-30-2016, 9:23 AM
Andrew...I'm not sure where you are in SE MA, but Rugby Architectural in Oxford carries plywood that I like. I have one here in Alabama that I shop in. It's called US Ply, but it's actually chinese. Much better product (IMO) than the birch ply I was buying at HD. I can get a 4x8 sheet for about $35 here vs $50 at HD.

Jeff Duncan
11-30-2016, 9:25 AM
Somewhat depends on what your using it for and type of material. For instance a B-1 pre-finished maple/birch ply for cabinet boxes is perfectly fine. For doing slab doors in walnut maybe not as much? As far as the source, the best way to know is to ask the supplier. Columbia makes good products but they are a large company that makes MANY products, so for instance I wouldn't assume the Columbia ply in the box store would be the same quality as the stuff from a large ply supplier. Garnica is an import, from Spain I believe, that is also a good product. I've been using more and more of it over the last couple years and am extremely pleased with it's consistency and quality.

There are several good suppliers in and around the area, Boulter Ply in Somerville has a great variety for small shops who are only buying smaller quantities and haven't moved up to the larger distributors yet. Atlantic in Woburn is one of the largest outfits, not always easy to deal with when your starting out, but their prices while generally high will be better than Boulter. Robert Bury doesn't have quite the selection as Atlantic but is also a good supplier. Goodfellow in Manchester NH has a decent selection and prices are much more competitive than Atlantic. Downes & Reader which is more of a hardwood supplier now stocks a pretty good range of plywoods as well.....at least according to their rep, I haven't been down there in years. I believe their are a few other smaller outfits around as well I just haven't used them. In short, it's a really well supplied market your in and almost anything should be available depending on what quantities your buying;)

Of course I don't know if your a hobbyist or a business? As a business it will be easier to buy from the larger suppliers. I know Downes and Reader and Boulter will supply to the hobby market, not sure about the rest?

good luck,
JeffD

Jon Endres
11-30-2016, 9:39 AM
Andrew, give Maine Coast Lumber a try. http://mainecoastlumber.com/ They've undergone some significant changes lately, including closing one of their two locations, moving their operations, and being acquired by Downes and Reader Hardwoods. Even so, they have an extensive inventory of plywoods. I purchased A1 shop-grade birch for all of my kitchen and bath cabinets in my house, and they delivered right to my door the same week. Not sure how their business model will change now that they are under new ownership, but they were very good to deal with.

Andrew Wayland
11-30-2016, 9:44 AM
Somewhat depends on what your using it for and type of material. For instance a B-1 pre-finished maple/birch ply for cabinet boxes is perfectly fine. For doing slab doors in walnut maybe not as much? As far as the source, the best way to know is to ask the supplier. Columbia makes good products but they are a large company that makes MANY products, so for instance I wouldn't assume the Columbia ply in the box store would be the same quality as the stuff from a large ply supplier. Garnica is an import, from Spain I believe, that is also a good product. I've been using more and more of it over the last couple years and am extremely pleased with it's consistency and quality.

There are several good suppliers in and around the area, Boulter Ply in Somerville has a great variety for small shops who are only buying smaller quantities and haven't moved up to the larger distributors yet. Atlantic in Woburn is one of the largest outfits, not always easy to deal with when your starting out, but their prices while generally high will be better than Boulter. Robert Bury doesn't have quite the selection as Atlantic but is also a good supplier. Goodfellow in Manchester NH has a decent selection and prices are much more competitive than Atlantic. Downes & Reader which is more of a hardwood supplier now stocks a pretty good range of plywoods as well.....at least according to their rep, I haven't been down there in years. I believe their are a few other smaller outfits around as well I just haven't used them. In short, it's a really well supplied market your in and almost anything should be available depending on what quantities your buying;)

Of course I don't know if your a hobbyist or a business? As a business it will be easier to buy from the larger suppliers. I know Downes and Reader and Boulter will supply to the hobby market, not sure about the rest?

good luck,
JeffD

just an occasional hobbyist!

I was actually at Downes and reader the other day: they seem to carry Murphy and MT Baker? Not sure how those brands stack up, but it sure would be much more convenient than Boulter.

cecil dean
12-01-2016, 9:26 PM
Like the information. Does any one know of a good place in Northeast Missouri for good plywood?