PDA

View Full Version : Basics - Sawing/preventing Checking new timber

michael furman
10-07-2005, 1:16 PM
Hi folks,
I'm about to start a multi-year project and I got tons of Red Oak.
I Felled a red oak with a 4' dia base, 3-sections ~11 feet long. (placed anti-freeze onto cut ends)

I want to have the wood quarter sawed in a mill in the Metro Baltimore area.
Any reference saw mills or a way to get this cut in my back yard?

I want to store the wood for air drying -- Need all the tips possible to keep the wood from checking/and the insect critters away.

After this wood is cut and stabalized I'll need more help...
I'm hoping I can go 1-step at a time.

Regards,
Michael Furman

Charlie Plesums
10-07-2005, 2:53 PM
Welcome to the creek

I can never remember the rules about posting links to web sites, but let me try anyway. I have a page on my web site that discusses this issue at www.plesums.com/wood/tips/lumbermilling.html (http://www.plesums.com/wood/tips/lumbermilling.html) It is not a commercial page - I just got tired of answering emails on the topic. The page has been reviewed by a forrester (who made a few suggestions that have been included).

michael furman
10-10-2005, 7:19 AM
Hi Charlie,
Thanks for the info. I was told by a long-time wood worker to keep the logs as long as possible before sawing them into boards. He claims that this minimized warping -- until dry.
Any comments?
Michael

Ian Abraham
10-10-2005, 5:36 PM
Hi Charlie,
Thanks for the info. I was told by a long-time wood worker to keep the logs as long as possible before sawing them into boards. He claims that this minimized warping -- until dry.
Any comments?
Michael

With some woods that can be true, but generally you would increase the risk of checking and staining.
Generally it is best to saw the logs ASAP and dry it correctly. Air drying is OK so long as you do it properly. Correct stickering and weighting down the stack will reduce any warping.

Scott's web page has some info on building a drying stack and other questions you might have about getting a log sawn.
http://www.scottbanbury.com/sawing.html

Cheers

Ian

Todd Burch
10-10-2005, 5:50 PM
Michael, could you have picked a more difficult wood to air dry? Answer - no!!!

Expect lots of degrade. Put your best boards in the middle of the stickered stack. Keep it covered on top to shed rain and not on the sides. Get rid of all bark before you sticker it. Sap wood too since you have so much.

Todd