PDA

View Full Version : Arched wedding arbor designs...

David Rose
06-17-2003, 11:20 PM
has anyone seen such. Daughter plans to need this in about a year. I think this is a gloat, but can't decide. ;-) Anyway, I don't really need plans necessarily just ideas.

Thanks for any suggestions.

David

Tom Scott
06-18-2003, 12:39 AM
As in the movie "Meet the Parents", you could carve from a single piece of wood.
Just a thought...

Tom

David Rose
06-18-2003, 12:58 AM
of that one! ;-) Wood - yes. Carve - no.

She does want something with an arch but it should be easy to bend thin wood into an arch.

She looked through lots of the metal ones and didn't find anything she thought would look good in wood.

I am honored that she thinks enough of my woodwork to trust me with this. BIG DEAL in this case! And it would add to the savings.

David

Gary
06-18-2003, 5:54 AM
Take a look at this.....

http://www.weddingarbors.com/

gary

Lee Schierer
06-18-2003, 8:08 AM
Many local rental places have just what you need. Also check with the florists and ballon decoration suppliers in your area. I've seen them at several wedding we've gone to and all were rented.

After all, what does one do with a wedding arch 2 days after the wedding????

Noah Alkinburgh
06-18-2003, 8:27 AM
My FIL made one for our wedding. I had closed back on it, in other words you couldn't walk through it. That may not be what you want but it was great for pictures. I would be happy to try and get some of our wedding pics out and scan them for you if you would like to see it for ideas.

FYI...FIL still has it, he uses it in his garden now. Told me I could take it but I don't have the room.

Noah

Jim Becker
06-18-2003, 9:06 AM
Originally posted by Lee Schierer
After all, what does one do with a wedding arch 2 days after the wedding????

If you design it carefully and use the right materials, you use it as a wonderful addition to your gardens...what a wonderful way to remember such a great event every day.

David Rose
06-19-2003, 1:59 AM
Gary thanks. You found a site I hadn't seen. This is really in line with what the kids are thinking.

Lee, I agree with the rest of the guys. Daughter already said that she wanted to give it to "Mom" for the flower bed after. In our case that would be a BIG deal. ;-)

Would redwood or cedar be better for outdoor use? The borgs here carry cedar, but I'm not sure about redwood. The kids want it painted white. Would that be a problem for either? I've not really paid attention to outdoor stuff before.

Thanks everyone.

David

Mike Evertsen
06-19-2003, 6:17 AM
cedar would work good for outside but instead of painting it decorate the arbor with white carnations and white bows and streamers,,,

Matt Meiser
06-19-2003, 6:49 AM
Cedar paints well. Use a good stain-blocking primer first to seal in the resin. I built a cupola for the garage 2 years ago out of cedar and it is holding up well.

Daniel Rabinovitz
06-19-2003, 12:48 PM
My wife's cousin's husband built this trellis or pergola for his daughter's wedding. As you can see it also enhances the landscape. You ought to see the trickling stream and flower pond.

Anyway, Ah-hmmm! The rear two post are not the same distance apart as the front two posts. Hence the illusion of a vanishing point somewhere beyond the bank side of the pergola (in the trees).

Also the top slants slightly downward toward the back beam.

I don't have dimensions for you Dave, but could ask Art.

You can also get an oooooh and an auuuuh from the telephone operators at Pricecutters or Eagle American (not affiliated with either). Every time I ordered something from them, I mentioned to the women on the other end of the line where to look in town and they just expounded as to the beautiful landscape that Art and his son and wife had exhibited in anticipation of "the wedding".
They would say "Oh! is that your relative? - it's really georgeous!

Whatever you build - congratulations!
I became a proud grandpa to a 9lb 8oz boy on Friday morning at about 2:30AM. :D

David Rose
06-20-2003, 1:55 AM
What a setting! It's just sooo hot down here in July... I'll bet that was beautiful and congrats on the new "youngun", Grandpa!

David

David Rose
06-20-2003, 1:57 AM
If it was me, I would leave it raw, but I be a woodworker! ;-) Kids are concerned about flower costs, thankfully, so they may not cover it as well as they would like. I think I'll put together a small model and paint one side.

David