PDA

View Full Version : Live Edge Tsuridana

Brian Holcombe
11-29-2016, 12:03 PM
Good morning! I'm building a live edge shelf for a modern Japanese style home. In this post I flatten and thickness the slab using hand tools.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/2016/11/29/live-edge-tsuridana/

I look forward to your comments.

Cheers
Brian

Steve Voigt
11-29-2016, 1:25 PM
Nice work, Brian. That is some virtuoso planing on the crotch section, for sure.

I was surprised to see you write that you don't own a drawknife. I suggest you move one to the top of your new tools list. When working mostly by hand, as you do, hogging tools become very important, and nothing hogs like a drawknife.

Looking forward to the rest!

Brian Holcombe
11-29-2016, 1:39 PM
Thanks Steve! Much appreciated!

I may have to get one soon as I have some chair making slated for the future (spring-ish). I've recently started splitting more and even that was a bit of a revelation. It's all been an improvement of process due to an improvement in material. The better/straighter grain material I chose the more often I can use quick methods without worry. What would normally require sawing to prep stock from a large piece of material took me about 2 minutes to split. The prep work to follow takes a little longer (not much) but it's on straight grained material which planes very easily.

So, the more I work toward it the more I find an improvement in process.

David Eisenhauer
11-29-2016, 6:18 PM
Very nice finish planning. Does your finish plane work on either the pull or push stroke? Is it any relation to the one you used in your "Thinner is Better" (or whatever it was called) competition earlier this year? Or does a competition plane differ from an everyday working plane?

James Pallas
11-29-2016, 6:33 PM
Brian does the darnest things! Looking fine.
Jim

Allen Jordan
11-29-2016, 7:22 PM
Wow, planing that slab must have been ridiculous. I gave up 1/4 of the way through my walnut slab table before moving to a wide belt sander.

Brian Holcombe
11-29-2016, 10:07 PM
Very nice finish planning. Does your finish plane work on either the pull or push stroke? Is it any relation to the one you used in your "Thinner is Better" (or whatever it was called) competition earlier this year? Or does a competition plane differ from an everyday working plane?

Thanks David! They can be one in the same, but I don't use that plane for panels or slabs, instead I use a blade set with much more camber. The guys who set those up so sometimes use shavings that thin in their everyday work, but not typically.

Brian does the darnest things! Looking fine.
Jim

Thanks Jim!

Wow, planing that slab must have been ridiculous. I gave up 1/4 of the way through my walnut slab table before moving to a wide belt sander.

Thanks Allen! It took some effort, but it's like a serious workout....a serious 16 hour workout, haha.