PDA

View Full Version : I have too many toys

lowell holmes
11-29-2016, 10:03 AM
:( I just checked the new Woodcraft December sales brochure.

I could not find anything I need or want.

Greg Hines, MD
11-29-2016, 12:25 PM
Quitter...:)

Ken Fitzgerald
11-29-2016, 12:38 PM
:rolleyes:You are looking for sympathy?

Bruce Page
11-29-2016, 1:21 PM
Quitter...:)
Made me laugh out loud!

I've been in that mode for awhile. There's nothing major I need (or have room for) so I find myself buying small things like router bits.
I just ordered the 2017 Lie-Nielsen calendar, does that count?

John K Jordan
11-29-2016, 2:19 PM
Me too. I need nothing. My most recent shop tool buy was a new camera lens.

You can't count consumables like wood, glue, screws, tape, finishes, dust masks, drill bits, markers, sandpaper, snacks, ... Did I mention wood?

JKJ

John C Bush
11-29-2016, 3:03 PM
I don't even buy more hammers and vise grips at garage sales anymore. Anyone need a Bailey #5?? I have seven of them.

lowell holmes
11-29-2016, 3:57 PM
I don't even buy more hammers and vise grips at garage sales anymore. Anyone need a Bailey #5?? I have seven of them.

If I find a Bluegrass tool, I will buy it. I recently acquired a Bluegrass draw knife. I had no idea they ever made one.

Prashun Patel
11-29-2016, 4:17 PM
What? Can't find anything worthy in the Woodcraft sale? What about 'Box of random screws that got here because nobody wanted them''?

Roger Chandler
11-29-2016, 4:30 PM
I don't have too many toys.....just need a bigger place to put them all, and be able to utilize them at will, without having to move 25 things just to get to them!

Every once in a while, I will clean off my table saw, dust it real good, and pet it a little, just to let it know that I still love it! :rolleyes::D

Jim Becker
11-29-2016, 8:14 PM
LOL...I resemble that remark. :D

There are not many things that I really want when it comes to tools at this point, outside of maybe some additional hand-tool options. It's taken many years to get to that point, however. About the only thing I'm coveting right now is a Domino, but there are other financial priorities in my life at present, including my younger heading to college next fall. :eek:

John TenEyck
11-29-2016, 8:23 PM
Not me, I still need lots of tools and machines, and my wants are even greater. Clearly, I have been too frugal.

John

John Neel
11-29-2016, 9:01 PM
This reminds me of two notable days. #1. When there is some woodworking project or other project around the house that requires small hardware items like screws, I usually buy a few extra. The day finally came when I didn't have to go buy screws for the project. It happens with increasing frequency. The cost is that I have lot of small hardware items. #2. That was the day I realized I didn't need another woodworking tool for a project - it was a doll house for my granddaughter. Life can be good.

Larry Anderson
11-29-2016, 9:03 PM
He who dies with the most toys wins.

Doug Morgan
11-29-2016, 9:05 PM

Its not nice to tease someone!:D

Jim Andrew
11-29-2016, 11:00 PM
I set up my shop about 12 years ago, after having fixed up the shop. Went with better equipment than having planned, after finding this forum. After that much time, have upgraded some of the machines, am happy with my set up. Don't really want to know how much $ spent, but is fun to be able to knock out a project without ordering a tool. Haven't toured the local school shop, but mine is multiples better than the school shop I attended.

Ole Anderson
11-30-2016, 9:23 AM
I find that I too don't have anything I can even put on my Christmas list. I keep thinking I would like to ditch my old 6" Sears King Seeley jointer for a nice 8 incher, but don't really have the room and frankly, 90% of my use is for edge jointing which i could do with a 2 incher, if they made them.

Eric Commarato
11-30-2016, 1:34 PM
yes I am running into that problem after having 2-3 duplicates of everything...

mreza Salav
11-30-2016, 1:43 PM
I'm somewhat in that camp, sales don't interest me and there are rarely things on used market I am after.
The only things I might upgrade is my ICS sawstop into a slider/shaper combo. That would be mainly an upgrade to my shaper and I hope an upgrade to my saw as well.

Frank Martin
11-30-2016, 1:53 PM
I have been in this camp for a while too. In fact, ended up purging some large tools taking too much space, such as a very nice Jet oscillating drum sander.

Wayne Jolly
11-30-2016, 1:59 PM
If you can't find anything you need or want at Woodcraft (although I don't understand what "need" has to do with anything), it just means you are looking in the wrong place. It also means YOU LOSE! :-)

Wayne

Thomas Pratt
11-30-2016, 3:43 PM
Buy some clamps. I''ll bet you will use them someday.

Jim Becker
11-30-2016, 3:59 PM
If you can't find anything you need or want at Woodcraft (although I don't understand what "need" has to do with anything), it just means you are looking in the wrong place. It also means YOU LOSE! :-)

Wayne
Honestly, about a year ago a fellow that came to see my MiniMax gear (many of us with MM or Felder gear do "personal showroom duty" for prospective customers) gave me a gift card for Woodcraft in appreciation of my time. (it wasn't necessary for sure, but he did and I was appreciative) So the next time I had the opportunity to be in an area where there was a Woodcraft store, I stopped in to browse and see what I could buy with that card. I wandered for nearly an hour before finding a Nakiri knife kit (I also cook...) and some other small doo-dad...I think it was a package of 1" 23 gage pins from Grex. There just wasn't anything they had that I wanted or needed, although I could have bought some Festool abrasives or something, not that I needed any at the time. Need and want are kinda related...

Dave Lehnert
11-30-2016, 5:29 PM
I live about 20 min. from a Woodcraft store. Have not been there in a few years. Last time there was to check out the new store they opened. I see they have just moved again.
Go back about 20 years and I would have been there once a week.

Chris Padilla
11-30-2016, 6:33 PM
I have too many toys

Said no one ever. :)

Chris Fournier
11-30-2016, 10:36 PM
I never refer to tools as toys. It ain't cool, it demeans the equipment and the activity. I have equipment, tools, and materials. Sorry if that's a buzz kill.

Brian Henderson
12-01-2016, 5:56 PM

Same here. I have all the tools I need at the moment. I don't collect tools, I use them. If I don't actively need a new tool, I don't buy any. I can't remember the last time I actually bought anything major outside of consumables or in an emergency for some small handtool.

Mark Felps
12-01-2016, 7:14 PM
Clearly the solution is to give away your oldest tools to young wood workers in need, then go buy some new gear to replace it.

Michael Panis
12-02-2016, 4:14 PM
I think it is just a matter of picking the right next project...