PDA

View Full Version : Chisel Set for Christmas

kevin nee
11-29-2016, 7:42 AM
I have a friend that has asker her husband for a chisel set for Christmas. She has asked me for a suggestion of which set. I am no expert and I find my chisels here & there. ( always used ). She is an accomplished Woodworker and I am looking for the expertise here to get some ideas. I have some Henry Taylor that I am happy with. Thanks in advance, Kevin

Frederick Skelly
11-29-2016, 7:54 AM
So many choices and you'll get a gazillion answers. But I hear good things about Ashley Isles, LV's PMV11 chisels and of course LNs. You can probably find a lot in the archive on each.

Good luck!
Fred

David Eisenhauer
11-29-2016, 9:06 AM
Desired price point will help others provide opinions. Is there anyway possible at all that she can hold some different brand chisels and declare which feel better in her hand?

Robert Engel
11-29-2016, 9:22 AM
OK, I assume money is no option

My top 3 choices would be

1. Lie Nielsen ($$$) if you want buy your last set of chisels.

2. Ashley Isles round back dovetail chisels for joinery.

3. Narex (make sure you get the "Premium" set). I have this set and am quite satisfied with them.

There are also very high quality Japanese chisels.

John Lanciani
11-29-2016, 11:23 AM
I have a friend that has asker her husband for a chisel set for Christmas...

Taking a leap of faith and assuming that your friends hands falls somewhere into the "normal size" for women, I'd suggest the Lie-Nielsen's due to them having handles that are on the smaller end of the range. Many of the lower cost chisels have handles that are down right massive (The Narexes come to mind), so finding a chisel that is a good ergonomic fit will be the hard part.

Mike Henderson
11-29-2016, 11:53 AM
I'd recommend the LV PM-V11 chisels. Easy to sharpen and hold an edge for a long time.

Mike

Bill McNiel
11-29-2016, 12:21 PM
I'd recommend the LV PM-V11 chisels. Easy to sharpen and hold an edge for a long time.

Mike

Agree 100%. These are pretty top end chisels that look, feel and function great. The Narex are a step or two down the ladder.

lowell holmes
11-29-2016, 12:30 PM
IMO, the Lie Nielsen bench chisels are the "pick of the litter". I have some and someday I will fill the collection out.

Jim Koepke
11-29-2016, 12:43 PM

Mike

When I want to buy some used chisels at auction I will show my wife the web pages for LN or LV chisels.

The OP states,
She is an accomplished Woodworker and I am looking for the expertise here to get some ideas.

What does she use now?
What are the things she likes about her current chisels?
What are the things she doesn't like about them?

Also important is what kind of budget and how big of a set is she wanting.

My tendency is to want every size from 1/8" to 1" in increments of 1/8". Not everyone wants or needs such a full set.

A basic set of five PM-V11 chisels is ~$400 +shipping.

It looks like the LN chisels are sold separately. The same five sizes add up to $290.

If she is looking for the ultimate in high quality, those would be the top choices.

If she is willing to flatten the backs, then there is a much wider field to wander.

My preference is usually for a socket chisels since changing handles is so much easier. Having a comfortable grip on a tool in use makes one want to use the tool more often.

jtk

Thomas Schneider
11-29-2016, 6:27 PM
For the price, I think you would be hard pressed to beat this set. IMHO

Kevin Hampshire
11-29-2016, 6:48 PM
Kevin, Given the large numbers of variables in chisel selection, does she visit with us at Sawmill Creek? She could engage directly.

kevin nee
11-29-2016, 7:21 PM
I was going to see her today and let her read and see the knowledge available here.
if she chooses to join, that will be great. Just trying to help out a friend. Kevin

lowell holmes
11-30-2016, 10:47 AM
The web site "Tools for working wood" has a nice selection of chisels.

I favor antique Stanley's or Lie Nielsen chisels.

Andrew Hughes
11-30-2016, 11:08 AM
I am very happy with my Japaneese chisels.But if I we're looking to buy today I would try the Lee Valley PM v11 chisels.The ones Mike H recommends he's a accomplished woodworker.
And has no reason to steer your friend wrong or try to sound smart.

Eric Rimel
11-30-2016, 8:03 PM
Barrtools.com

I got a set as a gift 16-18 years ago and they've been my go-to chisels since.

Roger Green
11-30-2016, 10:38 PM
I feel joy everytime I reach for a Blue Spruce Toolworks long paring chisel.

Phil Mueller
11-30-2016, 11:35 PM
Kevin, she may actually be happier with a few different makes to try versus a complete set from one maker. It would give her an opportunity to use them for a bit and decide for herself what she prefers. Given the quality of LN, LV, Blue Spruce, etc., they can certainly be re-sold for darn near purchase price. If it were me looking for a chisel gift, I'd probably ask for the two or three sizes I use the most...each size from a different maker.

Mark Philippi
12-01-2016, 7:42 PM
If the gist is for an accomplished woodworker the LV PMV-11 or the LN would be great choices

kevin nee
12-05-2016, 9:58 AM
Thanks for the replays. She is still doing research. I will see her tomorrow and find out what she thinks of Sawmill creek.