PDA

View Full Version : Spray black lacquer looks foggy

Linnea Lahlum
11-29-2016, 12:17 AM
I am making shelves to fit inside a high gloss Japanese antique lacquer cabinet. I want the shelves to look like they match the cabinet, so also black, high gloss. The shelves were sprayed first with clear lacquer and sanded between coats to make the surface very smooth. (the grain shows a bit, but that doesn't bother me)

I am using spray cans of lacquer, not a professional spray gun.

I am doing this all in the garage. Near the door. The black lacquer has a ghastly odor to it, instant headache-making, so I MUST do this outside. It’s getting cold here, 50’s during the day. Putting a lamp on it to provide some warmth, but likely it’s not enough. I picked a day when we had not had rain, but I know the humidity level must still be high.

No problem with this until I got to the black lacquer. First few coats went fine. I decided to put one last coat on day before yesterday, and it went foggy on me. Not whitish, more of a satiny look. Just like when you breathe on a cold window.

I re-sprayed yesterday afternoon, same thing.

I have been keeping the can in the house and shaking thoroughly. But shelves have been kept outside. So even if the spray was warm, the shelves were at ambient temperature of somewhere around 50. I probably should have run them out one at a time to spray. I was minimizing opening and closing the door to the house so as not to let that terrible odor in. I read to day that I should have warmed the can up in some hot water.

Is it humidity? Cold? Both? Tomorrow will be the warmest day expected for a long time, close to 60 degrees. But, it’s been raining all day today.

I read online to use a heat gun. I don’t have one. I tried setting it at 5 inches below an incandescent lamp. No change. I tried moving it closer, like 3 inches, and in 10 minutes, it bubbled the finish. I had walked away. I have not tried a hair dryer yet.

On a different forum it was suggested to sand the shelves down, then re-coat with a gloss water base poly called Varathane TripleThick. Water base so it won’t have a yellow tinge and I can use it inside. Supposed to not show brush strokes. The only poly I have ever used is oil based.

I read elsewhere to spray it with a blush eliminator. But before I order that, I want to see if that is the right solution or if there is something else.

What can I do? Thanks for your help.
I need to reboot the last 5 days. All the “easy” projects I’ve worked on since Thanksgiving have run into problems.

Wayne Lomman
11-29-2016, 7:33 AM
Since it is a lacquer, try hand rubbing it using a French polishing rubber. Just dampen it with solvent. It takes a bit of practice but is a lot less work than starting over.

Your problem is the weather. If you have to do it outside, pre warm every thing, take it outside, do the job and then take it back inside somewhere to cure. Cheers

Linnea Lahlum
11-29-2016, 12:36 PM
Thanks, Wayne. Lacquer thinner for solvent?

Kurt Kintner
11-29-2016, 7:11 PM
In my auto body shop days, you had to be careful to spray lacquer where it's warm....
if the temp is too cold the paint will "blush", giving a foggy finish ...

Wayne Lomman
11-29-2016, 7:22 PM
Yes lacquer thinner should do it. Cheers