PDA

View Full Version : Need to buy a finish nailer

Joe Cowan
11-28-2016, 11:08 AM
My son in law wants to install crown molding in his house. I only have a pin and a brad nailer. I want to buy a good finish nailer for a Christmas present. Which one should I buy and what size nails would he need?

Adam Herman
11-28-2016, 11:34 AM
I like my Ridgid 16 gauge straight, but an angled nailer may be better for crown. I think i would use 16 gauge for crown.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-16-Gauge-2-1-2-in-Straight-Nailer-R250SFE/204456475

Scott Brader
11-28-2016, 11:54 AM
I have a 15 ga. angled finish nailer and I kind of regret that I didn't get a 16 ga. The 15 ga. nails are pretty hefty for most of the projects I do.

Scott

Robert Engel
11-28-2016, 12:02 PM
Senco 16 ga. angled nailer ;)

Morey St. Denis
11-28-2016, 3:49 PM
I prefer the lightweight and cordless convenience of a Paslode 16 ga. combustion powered finish nailer. Especially so when working overhead! Precisely shoots finish nail sizes from 3/4" to 2.5" powered by a quick loading compact gas cylinder and rechargeable battery to spark the ignition. I purchased several of multiple types, and use them often. Have one that is still new, in the original box with carry case, never used although several others are quite experienced and well used with never a problem. Let me know in case you may like 30% off the best internet price on this new one.

Brian W Smith
11-28-2016, 5:00 PM
Realistically,could fill a contractor wheelbarrow with nail guns I've toasted over the last 40 years.And have come full circle....make them Senco now.Which is what we started with back then.Had vg service from Porter Cable,but they've gone downhill of late.Pasloads are still OK,do like their framer,but it'll also be Senco when it poops out.

Ole Anderson
11-28-2016, 8:01 PM
You can do a lot with an 18 ga brad gun, more versatile than a 15 ga angled one, which I also have, along with a pinner. Don't have a 16 ga so I can't compare. I like Bostitch, but get the the better one with 2" capacity. I have an older one that only goes 1 5/8", got my son the 2" version for his birthday.

julian abram
11-28-2016, 11:01 PM
Either a 16 or 15 ga nailer will work fine for installing your crown. I'd guess a 15 ga air nailer is the standard unit for trim unit in our area. I've trimmed for years with a 15 ga air unit, Senco certainly the best in my experience. I recently purchased a cordless 16 ga 18V Dewalt and love the easy of not toting a compressor and hose around. The only negative is a battery powered unit is heavy.

Brad Barnhart
11-28-2016, 11:19 PM
nail guns can be a luck of the draw. You can visit Lowe's, home depot, & other places & ask questions til you're blue in the face. They'll tell you the same thing. Their brand is the best. The first place I'd start would be with the reviews of nail guns. From there, ask questions. Look for the manufacturer that will back their equipment.

With that said, From personal experience, & rebuilding anything from Senco to Bosch, my nail guns are all grip rite. They are easy to adjust, & hold their adjustment. Simple to work on, & easy to get parts, what few there is, are simple to get. JMO.

lowell holmes
11-29-2016, 9:55 AM
I have Spotnail and Powermatic guns. They are all good.

I don't think you will find them at the borg.

Check Amazon, you will find an array of guns to buy.

Joe Cowan
11-29-2016, 11:23 AM
I bought the Senco angled nailer. Thanks for the replies.

Ted Diehl
11-29-2016, 8:55 PM
Not sure if your son-in-law has done crown molding but I'd like to offer a helpful hint: Have him pre-cut two short pieces and cut each piece for an inside corner - each piece about 8" long. Do the same for an outside corner and to avoid any mistakes label them(ie Inside corner left side, Inside corner right side) to make sure you don't mix them up. Then when he is ready to nail up his long crown molding pieces, lay it against the ceiling but before he shoots in the nails, take one of the appropriate (ie inside corner left side) short pieces and use it to "fit" the long piece, than nail it with confidence that the next piece that fits into it will, in fact, fit. I had a lot of problems with crown until I watched someone doing this.

Jim Dwight
11-30-2016, 8:18 PM
After trying other brands, I have pretty much converted to Harbor Freight. Much cheaper and work just as well. But I hope he likes the Senco. I love my little Senco compressor.

I would suggest he watch the crown molding series by Ron Paulk on youtube. It moves kind of slow but he gives great advice including three little jigs to make that really help. There are also tips on cutting and measuring and backing. Well worth the time spent. I had done several rooms before watching these and I still learned plenty. Getting tips from a pro is usually very worthwhile. There are 6 or 7 separate youtubes. In the process of the video, he measures, cuts and installs a room full of crown.

I have 15 gauge (HF), 16 gauge (Bostitch), and 18 gauge pneumatic (PC) and a Ryobi cordless 18 gauge. I have installed crown and most other trim with the Ryobi. 18 gauge pins (2 inch usually) don't hold as well as bigger nails but they normally hold crown up fine. And after installation you caulk the seam which will hold it just fine. A full set of cordless nailers would be pretty pricey but it's very nice to not have to mess with a compressor.