PDA

View Full Version : Bench Feet

Jason Morgan
10-07-2005, 10:55 AM
I have a general question.

I just built an assembly/outfeed table and the base support structure is solid, but the this is easily rocked because of the feet. Its a basement shop with concrete floors, so I need something that can be leveled and adjusted to the same height at the table saw.

What do you all use for worktables/benches that need to have adjustable feet? I think I can modify the ones I got from woodcraft to work, but I wanted to know what you all do.

Thanks,

Russ Massery
10-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Yep, I have the problem in my shop pretty much all my stuff has leg levelers on them. I bought mine from woodcraft also. I just drill a hole in the bottom of the leg and insert a t-nut.

Mike Weaver
10-07-2005, 11:28 AM
...Or, you could drill the leg and use a lag screw like I did on the bottom of a shop table for my wife.

Cheers,
-Mike

Jamie Buxton
10-07-2005, 12:07 PM
A real simple solution to prevent rocking is a wedge. Push the bench until three legs touch the ground, and slide the wedge under the fourth leg with your foot. This also works for the table saw or any other big rigid object which moves around a non-flat floor.

You don't have to be obsessive about getting the outfeed table exactly the same height as the table saw. It will still support the outfeed material if it is a little lower than the saw. The bad situation is having the table higher than the saw. That is, if you have machinery which moves around on a non-flat floor, it is a good strategy to make the outfeed table lower than the saw. No matter where the saw and the table are, the table is always lower than the saw.

Kevin Post
10-07-2005, 1:50 PM
I've used these heavy-duty levelers (http://www1.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?offerings_id=2053&sid=AFB82) from Rockler on two projects and have been happy with them.

-Kevin

Steve Cox
10-07-2005, 2:44 PM
T-nuts and bolts from Home Depot work just fine. Cheap and easy.

Roger Everett
10-08-2005, 6:20 AM
When I built my receiving /assembly table, Iwanted it adjustable. Being a firm beliver in, if the equiptment is set up " dead nuts ", then I can't make excuses. My table is 4' X 8' with 6 legs. The legs are cut about 1" short, I then bolted a 3 1/4" section of 3 1/2 X 3 1/2 angle ( brick lintel ) to the bottom. Thru it goes a pc. of 3/4" bolt w/ a washer welded to it, it is then adjusted w/ a top and bottom nut to lock in the adjustment. In use, I leveled the TS in both X & Y directions, adjusted the rec. table about 1/32 to 1/16 lower ,leveled in all directions with the 4 corner legs, then I lowered the center leg adjusters down to snug with the floor. Being a bit of an over builder, I wouldn't be wary of parking a car on top of the table.
Roger

Roger Everett
10-08-2005, 6:28 AM
I was trying to post a pic. of the adjuster

Jason Tuinstra
10-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Roger, great idea! I like it a lot.

Dan Forman
10-08-2005, 2:53 PM
If you can forgo parking the car on it, these ought to work just fine. There are threads in the lower hole, and the top of the bolt has a screwdriver slot, so adjustment is a breeze. I found these at a local hardware store for $3 or 4 each.

Dan

OOps, try this

Richard Wolf
10-08-2005, 4:08 PM
Dan, they look real nice, is that what they are sold as, table levelers?

Richard

Dan Forman
10-08-2005, 5:30 PM
Dan, they look real nice, is that what they are sold as, table levelers?

Richard

I just asked for leg levelers, same difference. I don't think they have them at the Borgs, this was a store that specialized in trim hardware. Rockler has them in their catalog as "adjustable supports", page 87 of new catalog, but try the yellow pages first to save shipping.

I am very pleased with them, they are so much easier to adjust than other types, and easy to install. They don't, however, scream "fine furniture". :D

Dan

Alan Turner
10-08-2005, 5:37 PM
Dan,
I have seen those called cabinet levelers, and have seen them on commercial factory made kitchen base cabinets.