PDA

View Full Version : Grey tone finish for red oak?

Jeff Monson
11-28-2016, 9:46 AM
I'm building a bathroom vanity for our home. All of mill work in the house is red oak, so my wife decided we should stick with red oak for the vanity, but she wants a different finish. She chose a grey tone for the finish, anyone here have a recommendation for a fairly easy schedule to achieve this? I will attach a photo of what she is after. This is similar but what she wants is a little lighter more of a white washed effect.

Prashun Patel
11-28-2016, 9:49 AM
HAHA. I am after precisely the same color finish for my daughter.

Try Minwax Weathered Oak stain. You really have to shake it up good and proper, because the grey 'paint' settles to the bottom. When well-mixed, it will give a grey glazed effect.

I pre-dyed my wood with Transtint Dark Walnut to bring the color in line, then the Minwax to highlight the grain.

IMHO, the grey stains available @ the home stores don't get the finish dark enough on their own.

Jeff Monson
11-28-2016, 11:34 AM
Good info Prashun, Interesting that you used transtint first? One would think that would darken the oak to where the grey would not overcome it. I will give this a try!! I have that shade in transtint, will pick up the weathered oak at my local hardware store.

Prashun Patel
11-28-2016, 12:26 PM
Varathane also makes a grey stain called Sunbleached grey. It was too grey for me, but perhaps over top a darker dye, it might work for you as well.

John TenEyck
11-28-2016, 1:10 PM
I've been trying to get the same opaque color but let the grain come through look on white ash. So far, the best results I've had are by mixing a little of GF's OB grey gel stain into a ZAR OB stain called Coastal Boards.

John