PDA

View Full Version : New Fangled workbench assembly question....

Tom DiBiasio
11-28-2016, 8:18 AM
Hi All

I am well on my way to building the FWW new fangled workbench and ran into a little confusion. I completed the base and joinery for the bench top, I am now working on the vertical rails that go on both side of the clamp well. In the plans there is a diagram of the holes that the front vice goes into with the following description: "holes for front clamp pipes on 6 in. centers 1in. dia, 3/4 in. up from bottom edge". So based on this description I drew a pencil line 3/4" up from bottom edge of the rails and then with a compass I measured and drew a 1" circle (1/2" radius) so that the bottom of the one inch hole would be on the 3/4' line from the bottom edge of the rail. From the center point of the circle I drew a new reference line and used this to mark out the 6" on center for all the holes. After clamping both rails together I drilled all the holes along the rails on my drill press. After completing this operation, and cleaning up the mess, I set the rails on the base and test fit the front vise, to my surprise the 1/2" bars when inserted in the holes are now hitting the bottom edge of the bench top after clearing the back rail.... I guess that I have misinterpreted the plans some how but before milling all new rails I thought to ask advice from someone who has built this workbench to help determine the error of my ways.... the only thing that I can think of changing is to measure up the 3/4" and use this as the CENTER line for the 1" diameter holes, however if I do this it will only leave about 1/4" between the bottom of the holes and bottom edge of the rails.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me so that I dont end up remilling and making another mistake.

TomD

Dave Richards
11-28-2016, 8:29 AM
Tom, I drew the SketchUp model they used for the plan they sell for the New-Fangled Bench. I found the model to check. (That was a long time ago!) The holes are centered 3/4-in. up from the bottom edge of the rails. They have to be low enough so the long crossing pipes go over the front vise pipes.

Tom DiBiasio
11-28-2016, 9:50 AM
WOW - that is awesome to receive confirmation from one of the author's, and in less than 15 minutes....

one follow on question - I am a complete newbie to sketup, is there a way for me to determine this spacing by using the provided model? Can you explain just a few simple steps to be able to show the dimensions like this? If the answer is to complicated to type then please dont feel obligated to answer.

Thanks Dave

Dave Richards
11-28-2016, 9:56 AM
Hi Tom,

Happy I could help. Also happy my old e-mails are still around. ;)

It's not terribly complicated to figure out the spacing between holes. You can use the Tape Measure tool and inference off the centers or you measure of corresponding vertices on two holes. see this screenshot (https://flic.kr/p/NseXQa) for an example.

If you need more help with SketchUp or this model, drop me a PM.