PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
11-27-2016, 11:44 PM
28 Nov 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
I've been off work for a week now and we just happened to celebrate Thanksgiving in the middle of my week off from the day job. :)
Needless to say, I got a lot of things done and I have more to finish.
Here's the blanket chest I did for the LOML Jr.

Before hardware

Handles added:

And added a bottle opener to the front at her request for looks.

And here is one half of the 56" wide by 10' long kitchen island top that I'm working on right now:

I've also done a LOT of shop cleaning and organizing. I guess I could say....it was a productive week.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Dave Macy
11-27-2016, 11:55 PM
28 Nov 2016

And here is one half of the 56" wide by 10' long kitchen island top that I'm working on right now:

What is the laser for?

Dennis Peacock
11-28-2016, 12:01 AM
Dave,
I'm using a laser to help me make "sure" that I'm putting together a straight set of boards. I'm having to "over build" the top to 12 feet long so I can cut back to the final exact dimension of 10' and the width is already an exact 56" wide as per customer specs. I've never done a build this large before. Estimate is that this thing will weigh around 550 pounds when finished. The laser is just sitting with the beam splitting the join of 2 boards and I use that to make sure that I'm straight to the opposite end to better ensure that the "front edge" will be straight as a farm sink will go in the front somewhere after the initial install.

My problem is boards running straight and how to best clamp up all this to be as straight and flat as possible before I start the 2nd half of this top.

Shawn Pixley
11-28-2016, 10:00 AM
I kept cleaning, de-rusting, and painting my screw press. I filled two of the base cavities with poplar and mounted the casters to them. This allows me to turn it upright and now the base is mobile. Beats having to manhandle 200+ lbs of iron. Next to assemble the other components.

Bruce Wrenn
11-28-2016, 10:02 AM
Blew leave out of grass. FINALLY located water leak in van and fixed it. Using disk sander, sanded about 150 Toys for Tots car bodies. Now I have to finish (250+) using ROS. Got bandage off my hand. Had carpel tunnel release done last Monday. Because of surgery, had to have grandson cut out some 12" sanding disks for me. Started getting out stuff to put Christmas lights on fence at the road. Ate a lot of left overs!

Garth Almgren
11-28-2016, 11:10 AM
I started pulling power wire for my office shed with my dad on Saturday, but I think I have a couple 45s too many in my conduit as no amount of pulling and pushing would get it past a certain point. As my dad said, "A Bend Too Far". I'm going to carefully cut the conduit below the 45s and try to finish up the pull in two parts sometime this week after work.

Jim Becker
11-28-2016, 8:38 PM
Busy long weekend around here!

1) Finished the bathroom renovation outside of dealing with the hot water supply issue "down below". At some point, that sea of mauve on the tub will get put out of our misery and turn nicely white, but for the moment, the funds are gone

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Bath%20Renovation/DSC_5031_zpsumgkslik.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Bath%20Renovation/DSC_5033_zpsnyagxjio.jpg

2) Finished my Buffet/Hutch project including "implementation". Wow, that hutch portion was darn heavy to move in from the shop...Professor Dr. SWMBO and my older daughter helped fortunately, but another set of muscles could have come in handy! The combined unit is...9' tall. :) (I'll be updating the thread in Woodworking Projects at first opportunity with more photos (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?241330-Project-Buffet-Hutch-Completed&p=2628254#post2628254))

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Woodworking/Furniture/Buffet-Hutch/DSC_5042_zpspps7m1st.jpg

3) Cleaned the shop in preparation for whatever comes next. That included getting all the tools used in the bathroom job back into the shop. LOL No photo for that...I'm sure everyone knows what a "clean" shop looks like. :D :D :D

mark mcfarlane
11-29-2016, 12:46 AM
I 'almost finished' my first retirement project, a base cabinet for gardening supplies for the garage. Built with hand (power) tools. The doors will come later after I get a jointer and planer. Got one (probably too thick) coat of GF primer sprayed on it. Will be trying the GF white poly top coat in a few days. I need to buy a mil gauge.

Today I cut the pieces for a shop cart. Tomorrow it gets assembled. I really needed a place to put tools, measuring devices, sand paper, router bits,... when building the base cabinet so I decided to build a cart before proceeding with the top cabinet.

Jim your bath came out beautiful.

Jim Becker
11-29-2016, 7:41 PM
Jim your bath came out beautiful.
Thanks! I hope that darling-daughter appreciates it and, um...keeps it clean... ;)

Wayne Lomman
11-29-2016, 8:03 PM
The dining suite is finished 430 hours later. I'll try and post some photos at some stage. It's a bit awkward as the deal was that the design ownership went with the suite.

It was my last task for the house in South Australia. The workshop is decommissioned and I sit here in transit in Melbourne airport for the last time for the foreseeable future. I'm looking forward to seeing the back of fly in/fly out dislocation. Next week sees me full time working on the dark side - steel industry - and timber becomes my hobby for the first time ever. Cheers

Jim Becker
11-29-2016, 8:07 PM
Best wishes on your new adventures, Wayne!