PDA

View Full Version : Which Dust collectors on sale is right for me?

Colin Tanner
11-27-2016, 9:31 PM
I know this is a loaded question, but please bear with me.
I have a shop area if about 200 sq. ft. In my basement and can stretch out another 100sq. Ft. as needed with my mobile vases tools, and I have a Delta Platinum 2hp contractor saw (that the members here helped me with a wiring issue, )router, and other tools that are burying me in saw dust. I will be adding a planer, bandsaw, and tiger tools. I have a pretty powerful shop vac with a Dust Deputy but it is screamin' loud and the exhaust just makes the dust into a dust storm. I thought about building a silencing cabinet for my shop vac, but .I don't think it can handle my needs as I grow.
I see Jet dust collectors on sale, Powermatic, Delta, and others. My vac can go into a corner if my basement in my gym/workout area so as not to encroach on my shop area. Obviously, I can only work With 1 tool at a time, so I'm wondering what kind of horsepower I should go with. Everybody us having some kind if sale, so now us the tine for me to strike.

Jerome Stanek
11-28-2016, 10:04 AM
If you can find a Harbor Freight coupon or a 20 to 25% off coupon

michael langman
11-28-2016, 10:55 AM
Colin, I am in a situation similar to yours, and I just bought the harbor freight 2hp dust collector.

It has not arrived yet but I expect it to be just fine for my work shop in the basement.

This coupon code may work if you decide to get it. It will give you 20% off. Coupon #15050762

Jeremy Steele
11-28-2016, 11:29 AM
HF has the 2hp dust collector for 209.99 today; I think the price was 229.99 last week when I looked. Using the coupon code Michael mentioned above you can get it for about $168 before shipping and taxes.

Jerome Stanek
11-28-2016, 12:13 PM
I have been seeing it for 168 in a bunch of their flyers. But if it is not then with a 20% coupon it is a good price never pay their full price.

Dave Cav
12-01-2016, 4:06 PM
I had the HF model for several years. I made a Thein separator and put a Winn filter on it and it worked fine. I eventually took everything apart, mounted the blower on the wall and used it for a 100% outdoor discharge system blowing everything onto a pile behind the shop. Without any filters it pulled a lot more CFM and worked the motor a lot harder, but it works great.

Todd Mason-Darnell
12-01-2016, 7:04 PM
I use the HF as well for my 364 sq ft shop. I replaced the filter bag with a 5 micron one off of amazon. Works great.

michael langman
12-02-2016, 6:11 PM
My HF dust collector arrived yesterday. Well packed and in good shape.

I have to say it looks pretty nice. I will get a 35 gallon plastic trash can for the bottom bag, and a wynn filter for the top bag.

And also a super dust deputy in the future.

The dust collector has an all metal impeller which surprised me, as I thought it might be plastic.